How is Skype for voice calling?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My plan has limited minutes and international calling is obviously atrociously expensive. So Skype comes to mind. However on PC to PC calling it seems to work pretty crappy despite excellent connections. For example Facetime seems to work a lot better. For voice calling BBM Voice has been astounding. Skype used too be very good when I started using it but now it seems just OK, maybe its server load or something. On top of all this the windows phone app is in preview still. How have you found voice calling quality through Skype on windows phone? Is it at least as good as regular phone calling?

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
hmm, not sure what is the definition of crappy for you. I use skype from mac to mac and it works fine most of the times.
I also use skype(on iphone/Nokia 5800 in the past) for skype to mobile/landline phone and that also has worked fine most of the times.

Yet to try out on my dad's WP Lumia 710.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well by crappy I mean just OK and when something else is being done on the network then the call see,s to lag and get stuck every now and then. Yes I do admit it is decent quality most of the time but you would have to see BBM Voice to know just how good the quality is that I am comparing with.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Try to look at this without ****** lenses. I have the exact same setup on both sides running Skype and Facetime/BBM Voice and Skype's quality seems consistently lower than the alternatives.

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Try to look at this without ****** lenses. I have the exact same setup on both sides running Skype and Facetime/BBM Voice and Skype's quality seems consistently lower than the alternatives.
I have to agree. FaceTime does have better video calling quality. But Skype to Skype calls still sound the best

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
My sister (in Chile) and I Skype. She has a laptop, me on a Lumia 810. Audio is perfect, actually sounds better than a normal cellular voice call.

The kicker is the video. On my side, the phone only shows her face, and it's pixalated. Her side, she says my face is rendered properly, and is better than when I use my laptop and a web cam. It took me a couple of calls to realize what's going on. Not sure which side is doing it, but I'm seeing just her face being tracked, and zoomed in. Hence the pixalation.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I use it some but most of the calls I treceeive from skype right now are not from people I know its for system help from what appear to be spammers from different countries in Europe and cold callers for services I dont want. but they come through fine on my L920 which I have had for a week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos