Considering upgrating my Lumia 800 advice needed

windowsPhoneGuy

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, windowsPhoneGuy here. I recently came to the conclusion that I'm willing to upgrade my Lumia 800 right about now, despite it having less than a year of use.
My two considerations would be:

Nokia Lumia 920
or
Samsung ATIV S

I'm fairly certain that the Lumia 920 is better than the ATIV S but some things bug me about the Lumia.It seems pretty heavy to the point that it bugs me to some degree. How does it feel like using such a phone on a day to day scenario? Could some of you guys owning a 920 shed some light? The second issue I have, would be the initial bugs reported with the device, battery, random reboots and stuff. Is it still happening? I had some initial problems with my Lumia 800 and these were a real turn off but the phone was just to perfect otherwise that I just couldn't consider any other phone.

All in all, what phone to get here? Be as honest as you can because I'm really taking your advice to heart!

Thank you for your time

abhibh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, windowsPhoneGuy here. I recently came to the conclusion that I'm willing to upgrade my Lumia 800 right about now, despite it having less than a year of use.
My two considerations would be:

Nokia Lumia 920
or
Samsung ATIV S

I'm fairly certain that the Lumia 920 is better than the ATIV S but some things bug me about the Lumia.It seems pretty heavy to the point that it bugs me to some degree. How does it feel like using such a phone on a day to day scenario? Could some of you guys owning a 920 shed some light? The second issue I have, would be the initial bugs reported with the device, battery, random reboots and stuff. Is it still happening? I had some initial problems with my Lumia 800 and these were a real turn off but the phone was just to perfect otherwise that I just couldn't consider any other phone.

All in all, what phone to get here? Be as honest as you can because I'm really taking your advice to heart!

Thank you for your time

Honestly 920 felt lighter than BB9900 and BB9800 in hand to me. The weight is evenly distributed, doesn't feel heavy at all in day to day use.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm in the same boat as you are. I have an 800 currently and will upgrade to the Ativ this week sometime. My Lumia was/is excellent especially after the Tango update, but I'd like a bigger screen and the 920 is unavailable to me, so Ativ it is. The reviews are favorable for the Samsung so I'm pretty confident with my choice. Originally I bought an HTC 8S, but found it was incompatible with my network, so back it goes.

windowsPhoneGuy

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Honestly 920 felt lighter than BB9900 and BB9800 in hand to me. The weight is evenly distributed, doesn't feel heavy at all in day to day use.

That is awesome to hear! My biggest worry was actually the weight and how it would feel. A tedious handset wouldn't be that great. Thanks for the input!

crystal_planet[URL="http://forums.windowscentral.com/members/crystal_planet.htm" said:
[/URL]]Well, I'm in the same boat as you are. I have an 800 currently and will upgrade to the Ativ this week sometime. My Lumia was/is excellent especially after the Tango update, but I'd like a bigger screen and the 920 is unavailable to me, so Ativ it is. The reviews are favorable for the Samsung so I'm pretty confident with my choice. Originally I bought an HTC 8S, but found it was incompatible with my network, so back it goes.

Good to know that other people are considering the ATVI S too. That somehow relieves me slightly. The Nokia Lumia 920 isn't out for me too just yet but I'm willing to wait if it's really that much better.

nokialove

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, is there a great reason to upgrade at this point in time? There are definite improvements with WP 8, but also a lot of drawbacks right now. Bugs, incompatible games, etc.

That's why I'm still hanging on to my 710. If I was lucky enough to have an 800, I would definitely wait longer. That's just me.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
There are some hardware issues with the Lumia 920, it heats up when you touch it gets very hot when playing games like Castlemine, and Wordament.

I think the best option would be teh Ativ or 8x or just wait.

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I'd go to the store and try them yourself. Because the feel of the phone is a subjective and personal, what might feel "heavy" to some may not be with others. I think the subject of weight is mute unless the phone weighs several pounds. Nokia products vs. Samsung products to me have always felt more substancial, feels solid. I carry around my phone all day and it's weight I do not feel (I have the 820) because if the phone gets to heavy, then I better work out more. Few "grams" difference between the two phones. nWill it make it a better phone? Will it make better calls, be faster surfing the web, playing a game? Ask yourself what you do with your phone daily. Weight of phones are mute. It's function.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
No problems with my 920 going on two months now. Battery is fine and no heating while playing games and surfing. And weight is not a problem.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I love my ATIV S, 4.8" 720p, 135g, 64GB micoSD support, 2300mAh removable battery 😎 ...but

3 Thing I don't like about this phone is you can't use the micoSD storage for Apps.....This pissed me off because my old WM6.5 OS could run apps off micoSD cards!
I live in Canada and they only have the 16GB ATIV S model......32GB ATIV S would have been perfect 😁
There is no hardware notification light on the ATIV S!
Also no Bluetooth 4.0/FM Radio!

Other then that the ATIV S is Awesome! 😎

windowsPhoneGuy

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow so much great feedback! Thanks nokialove, rdubmu, wpwaukesha, stmav and travisel good to know! I can't get my hands on one to feel the weight myself. The only manufacture that is actually considering showing off an Lumia 920 will have it in store after the 5th of February and I have to make a decision until Tuesday I'd say.

This Forum is great, you guys are really great! Thanks again

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow so much great feedback! Thanks nokialove, rdubmu, wpwaukesha, stmav and travisel good to know! I can't get my hands on one to feel the weight myself. The only manufacture that is actually considering showing off an Lumia 920 will have it in store after the 5th of February and I have to make a decision until Tuesday I'd say.

This Forum is great, you guys are really great! Thanks again

No worries. Since the rise and advent of "smartphones" it has been increasingly more personal and has grown beyond its original purpose, it is now multi-purpose, from not only making phone calls, but communication in whole is varied from social media to the internet.
Consumers in general crave more immediate information from global sources. So all things that you mentioned from aesthetics to the feel and weight of your device is important and personal. That's why I always encourage people who are on the "fence" of trying to decide on which device is right for them, is simply (if possible) to try them out. Think of it as buying a car. Reviews might be helpful in certain aspects on features but YOU are the one that know what you want and need.
The forums are good for certain things but making such a personal decision is up to you and how much you do you own research by handling and just exploring the devices you wish to buy. The forums are full of opinions and take them as that. It's like art or gourmet food it is all subjective.

windowsPhoneGuy

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I may have to settle with the ATIV S, what a bummer. Somehow the guy at a certain store thought the last time I was there that I had already told him to get me an ATIV S. Now he's trying to contact them and cancel the order. Let's hope it goes thru.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa