Duplicated song tracks on windows 8 phone.

Jaxobsen

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been using my lumia 920 with no problem so far. transferring songs from my computer to my phone by copy and pasting music folders was no problem,only until recently. I opened up the music&videos app and Iwp_ss_20130113_0001.png found multiple tracks of every song on the album. However when I checked my phone folder,there were no such multiple files. I've also tried enabling the 'show hidden files,folders etc' option in the windows explorer menu, but alas theres was still no trace of multiple files. PLEASE HELP D;

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I continue to experience this issue with adding tracks to a playlist using the Xbox Music Pass (both on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8), do not remove one of the duplicates as it will remove all of the songs that are in a playlist / library more than once.

Trevor1106588

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem aswell. As I type this I have formatted the memory card turned off xbox music sync and cloud and am reloading my music. I hope this works until a proper fix is found.
Using Samsung Ativ S.

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I had same issue, too. If you open properties page of any file in Album hidden folder, you should get duplicate entries in details tab. Manually removing them does not fix the issue. You have to delete *all* files in Album and Artist hidden folders (be sure your music+video app is not open on the phone), then disconnect the phone and start music+video, to complete reindexing. If it doens't fix the issue, you have to delete these files again and mp3 files too.

Trevor1106588

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem aswell. As I type this I have formatted the memory card turned off xbox music sync and cloud and am reloading my music. I hope this works until a proper fix is found.
Using Samsung Ativ S.

THIS DIDNT WORK
started out ok but just get more and more tracks the longer I wait. had 12 listings for some ffs.
this needs fixed quick ffs

takisrock

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I try some things with the sd card, formating twice, even with my previus N8.
I copy paste my files (a few music, 1 video and a few pictures) to test, to see what it'll happent...still Nothing.

Now I have all music 2-3 times each track.
some pictures 2-3 times and
1 video, plus his ghost...

So I don't think that is problem with the sd card but the os. but a friend of mine has no such problems...
wierd and tired...

takisrock

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I found this post from here.. answers.microsoft
It helped me, for now....

If you don't mind sync all the music again.

Here's a way to clean up everything.
1. uses Windows Phone App for Desktop and go to phone.
Delete all the songs. (ctrl + a, space will select all)
2. close the app
3. unplug the devices
4. use File Browser, and go to this location
C:\Users\YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone
5. delete everything in that folder
6. check the devices using file browser and see if theres' anything left in the devices (both phone and SD storage)

after doing this, you should have a clean state of sync relationship (no music is being synced over)

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the duplicates problem with my Lumia 620. I tried to use the WP 8 app for PC, but it crashed while syncing. re-ran the sync and ended up with lots of duplicates entries on the phone. The actual song files only appear once on the SD card, but they are all listed twice in the music app. I have tried most of the suggestions in this thread (and others) but haven't had any joy. I even tried a different SD card and used Windows Explorer to drag files to the SD card music folder. I still get duplicate entries. I don't have any cloud sync turned on for Xbox Music app and I don't use Xbox Music in general. The only thing I haven't tried is doing a full phone reset, but not sure I want to go to that extreme. Surely there's some way to get music onto this thing without having multiples of everything show up in the phone!

Anyone been able to cure this problem?

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Only thing that worked for me was to put the SD card in my laptop and then sync that way...then put SD card back in phone. I tried every method (even like you the drag/drop into SD card while it is in the phone) but everything was duplicated.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Only thing that worked for me was to put the SD card in my laptop and then sync that way...then put SD card back in phone. I tried every method (even like you the drag/drop into SD card while it is in the phone) but everything was duplicated.

Haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the suggestion. Will try it tonight.

EDIT: Have tried your suggestion of putting the Micro SD into a PC and transferring music files directly to it. It worked. I've copied a bunch of album across and when I loaded the card into the phone and booted, there are no duplicate songs in the music app.

I will need to test a bit more to declare this a complete success, but so far it's looking good.

Last edited:

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
OK. This is getting ridiculous! I had about 15G of music on my 32G micro SD card, which I'd copied to the card using a PC and card reader to avoid the duplicates problem. All was working OK. Had an update for Xbox M&V appear in the store so I did the upgrade. Now I have five (5)! copies of every song appearing in the listing (there's still only one file on the SD card).

What the #%%$$# is going on here?

I don't have any form of music cloud sync turned on. I don't use the online service. I never stream music. All I want to do is play the music that I have installed on my SD card. How hard can it be?

I will reformat the card, reload all the music and try again. If I get this duplicate song issue one more time the Lumia 620 will be given to the dog to play with and I'll be going back to my Android phone.

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
That's a bummer. I did not get an update alert yet for Xbox Music & Video but will try it when I get it and see if I have the same issue. I did a search in the store and could not find it to see if it says there is an update available. But if you can find and send me a link to it in the windows store I will try it right away instead of waiting for the store icon to tell me.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
That's a bummer. I did not get an update alert yet for Xbox Music & Video but will try it when I get it and see if I have the same issue. I did a search in the store and could not find it to see if it says there is an update available. But if you can find and send me a link to it in the windows store I will try it right away instead of waiting for the store icon to tell me.

I'll see what I can find. Do you use a 32G mSD card? I've read some theories that this problem is only happening with 32G cards. I could drop back to a 16G card and only put some of my music on (though I'd be loathe to do this), but won't bother if people are still getting the problem with smaller cards.

EDIT: Firmware on my Lumia 620 was also updated to 1030.6407.1308.0001 around the same time, so this equally could have been the culprit. In fact looking at my Storage settings it seems the whole SD card info is off. It reports that I have 54GB of music on my 32GB card, with 17GB of space free. It also reports -4.1326MB of Other files!!! Something is wrong somewhere.

Last edited:

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Lol....something is way off I would say. I have a 64G card, so can't tell you if the smaller card will help. When I was working through those methods to remove duplicate files I also had weird file space information like you are having now. Note that I don't have the 1308 update yet, nor the recent 1314 which I assume I will get instead (if it ever shows available for me!!!) - I am still on 1249.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried syncing with Media Monkey?
I had some werid duplicate and tag problems but since I switched to Media Monkey everything works great so far, also sorted out the tags with some minor work.

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried syncing with Media Monkey?
I had some werid duplicate and tag problems but since I switched to Media Monkey everything works great so far, also sorted out the tags with some minor work.
No not yet - though I downloaded it just in case after it was mentioned in another thread a while back. In that thread the person thought Media Monkey helped to solve it (by sticking with a single sync program) but then he had the same issue eventually again later - from what I remember (I can look up the thread if you need it). I am going to wait until after the firmware updates (hopefully soon) and then the OS update to see what has been fixed. Right now removing the SD card is not too much of a pain but I don't like it as a long term solution. If firmware and OS upgrades don't fix this, I'll wipe my music and try Media Monkey or mp3tag and see how things work out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism