Duplicated song tracks on windows 8 phone.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Yeah the problem is probably rooted in WP. I used MediaMonkey before I got my WP7, I love it, its like Winamp on steroids. :)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
There is a sticky thread, Music Tips & Tricks, that might help but it sounds like the update almost corrupted the music or how the OS sees it. Maybe removing the music, soft resetting and making sure the SD card is being recognised and working properly before resyncing your music.

Last edited:

Sascha Hoppe

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This is an OS problem. The files start to duplicate when as soon as you turn on "connect with XBox Music". You need to delete everything on the card, turn off anything related to XBox Music in Settings. Then copy files over again.

trickster999

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Nokia Lumia 820.... Frustrated with the duplicate titles/ songs however I have discovered a "fix for this albeit a bit of a bind but it works.

1. Remove the SD card from the phone. You'll then need a card reader or the suchlike to put the card directly into your pc or laptop.
2. Copy any files you want to keep into an empty folder on your pc/ laptop.
3. When all the files have copied across format the SD card. A quick format will suffice.
4. Reassemble the phone and plug it into your laptop.
5. In windows explorer go to your mobile phone and find the folder "music" go into all f the different folders in there and delete any files that are in there such as album covers etc.
6. When this is done restart the phone and then go into Nokia music and it should show that there are no music files to play (or something like that!!!)
7. Copy all the music files back onto the SD card, copy and paste will suffice. This may take some time depending on how many files etc etc etc.
8. When this is all copied across then eject the SD card and put it into your windows phone and switch on. It will give a message asking if you want to store any music and photos onto your SD card. Tap the "yes" button. Then open up Nokia music and after a short time all of your music files will show and no duplicates. I tried this on three occasions and it worked correctly every time.

N.b. before you copy the files across makes sure all of the tracks have the correct names or they will end up as different albums and the music will be be all very the place.

I hope that this helps a few of you at the very least... It worked for me after I was losing a bit of faith in the phone..

Good luck

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Nokia Lumia 820.... Frustrated with the duplicate titles/ songs however I have discovered a "fix for this albeit a bit of a bind but it works.

1. Remove the SD card from the phone. You'll then need a card reader or the suchlike to put the card directly into your pc or laptop.
3. When all the files have copied across format the SD card. A quick format will suffice.
5. In windows explorer go to your mobile phone and find the folder "music" go into all f the different folders in there and delete any files that are in there such as album covers etc.
6. When this is done restart the phone and then go into Nokia music and it should show that there are no music files to play (or something like that!!!)
7. Copy all the music files back onto the SD card, copy and paste will suffice. This may take some time depending on how many files etc etc etc.
8. When this is all copied across then eject the SD card and put it into your windows phone and switch on. It will give a message asking if you want to store any music and photos onto your SD card. Tap the "yes" button. Then open up Nokia music and after a short time all of your music files will show and no duplicates. I tried this on three occasions and it worked correctly every time.

N.b. before you copy the files across makes sure all of the tracks have the correct names or they will end up as different albums and the music will be be all very the place.

I hope that this helps a few of you at the very least... It worked for me after I was losing a bit of faith in the phone..

Good luck

And if you have a Mac?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Good luck
Well , I tried exact same thing (except I don't use Nokia music for listening) but it didn't take duplicates long to appear again and I found out that syncing should never be used on external memory.

If u want no duplicates , no syncing , only card reader way like u described above

This is what my observation is :
You must always use "remove sd" card option in storage and check music player if there is no "now playing"

Then remove card , use card reader and load up media and put it in the phone.

Since phone should be off and needs to be turned ON , It automatically loads up SD-card on startup

Syncing with Windows Phone app is the main culprit for duplicates in my case and also syncing via any PC software always had high chances of duplicates.

LeWild

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you have problems with your music on your micro sd card then try to add songs via windows media player! i think that it helped me a lot!

Kunal Padhy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem too. What i did is
Firstly, I formatted my sd card. Then I deleted all the files present in the hidden files like album, artists etc.
Secondly, I synced music and videos directly from windows media player. Now I don't have that problem anymore.
Try and let me know...............
:smile:

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem too. I think my cause was syncing music via different methods (e.g., using the WP8 desktop app, Windows Media Player, and drag and drop to sync to my phone). I basically deleted all the songs from my phone and synced it to a new playlist from WMP. As long as I stick to using one method (WPM), it doesn't cause duplicates.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem too. What i did is
Firstly, I formatted my sd card. Then I deleted all the files present in the hidden files like album, artists etc.
Secondly, I synced music and videos directly from windows media player. Now I don't have that problem anymore.
Try and let me know...............

Have you tried syncing a second time to add more music to the collection? As I've said in my previous posts, I can easily get rid of the duplicates by formatting the sd card as you've mentioned and then resyncing (have tried WMP, drag&drop in Windows Explorer and WP desktop sync app). ALL methods will work the first time. It's the SECOND and subsequent times that I sync when the database gets trashed.

So please, the "delete, format card, sync" does NOT fix the underlying problem, regardless of which sync method is used.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I got the same problem man.... hope this will help Duplicate Files Deleter - tool for finding and deleting duplicate files, delete duplicate files | duplicate files | duplicate deleter, check this site and download the software.:smile:

No it doesn't. Why would it. There are no duplicate files, there are only duplicate entries in the database. And the link you gave has nothing to do with Windows Phone. It's for PC. Methinks you and you're smiley face of just spamming.

rianash

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried syncing a second time to add more music to the collection? As I've said in my previous posts, I can easily get rid of the duplicates by formatting the sd card as you've mentioned and then resyncing (have tried WMP, drag&drop in Windows Explorer and WP desktop sync app). ALL methods will work the first time. It's the SECOND and subsequent times that I sync when the database gets trashed.

So please, the "delete, format card, sync" does NOT fix the underlying problem, regardless of which sync method is used.

OzRob, I did try syncing the second (deleting 2 albums) and third time (adding 3 albums, of which 2 albums were the previously deleted ones), using explorer (Vista SP1). I found no duplication.

That was after I formatted the SD card. The deletion method that I use is by deleting the hidden album files in the albums folder.

L620 here.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
OzRob, I did try syncing the second (deleting 2 albums) and third time (adding 3 albums, of which 2 albums were the previously deleted ones), using explorer (Vista SP1). I found no duplication.

That was after I formatted the SD card. The deletion method that I use is by deleting the hidden album files in the albums folder.

OK. Good to know. I'll go through the cycle again and see if it sticks this time.

Rindika Fanai

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
microsoft wil provide a fix for duplicate files in GDR2 Update ... and for now the best way to sync files without duplicate is to sync through Windows Phone app from the windows 8 store.. i prefer the windows 8 app over the desktop version

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
And if you have a Mac?

I have a MAC and this is how I resolved it using the windows phone 8 connector app. First i made sure that the SD Card was formatted by plugging it into my mac directly and using disk utility on my MAC. Then I put the card in the phone and plugged the phone into my mac via USB. The phone asked if I would like to store new music and videos on the sd card. I said yes. I then opened the Windows Phone 8 connector app and clicked on the music tab. Here is the key. I tried, over the course of 2 days to sync my entire music library, 55Gb. Each time it took an incredible amount of time, and there were duplicates after each time. I don't think the app is capable of transferring that much data at once. So eventually, I selected 1 artist at a time, and clicked sync after each artist. Once it was done, I would look on the phone and see if there were duplicates of that selected artist, which there weren't. It certainly isn't ideal, but works. I hope this helps.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
And just to follow up, I am still having issues syncing after all. All of my tracks are only 30 second tracks now, or I get error message 805a0194 . It is very frustrating.

Last edited:

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would look into this, because I can't seem to get the music to sync. If I sync select artist, and then open the connector app and select other artist, some of the first selected artist won't play and come up with that error message. It is horrible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3