Searching Text Messages

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe i insulted you once in my reply. Is it impossible for you to understand that this might be something I have no use for. Maybe just maybe I like to have people's email, phone calls, text messages, Facebook and Twitter replies available in one location. It just might be easier for me to only have to look in one place for all of this information about a person.

I also find it interesting that you have taken such a personal approach to my opinion. Its almost like you were offended by my comments.

I agree people can get over the top with some replies and attacks. I am in no way justifying personal attacks but I guess part of it is seeing someone flat down expressing that something they deeply care about is not needed just because some people have no use for it. Again I am not justifying it and there are some replies here that are uncalled for.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe i insulted you once in my reply. Is it impossible for you to understand that this might be something I have no use for. Maybe just maybe I like to have people's email, phone calls, text messages, Facebook and Twitter replies available in one location. It just might be easier for me to only have to look in one place for all of this information about a person.

I also find it interesting that you have taken such a personal approach to my opinion. Its almost like you were offended by my comments.

If you don't want people to take your posts personally or be offended by them, perhaps you should avoid telling people what you think they do or don't need to do with their phone, and making assumptions about a person's level of intimacy with the features of their phone. To quote from you post:

"Nope you cant search text messages but why would you need to."

"Instead of getting upset because WP doesn't search text messages the exact same way the OS you just got tired of and witched form how's about figuring out how this is accomplished on WP?"

It's fine that you personally don't want or feel that you would use an SMS search function. It's also fine that you articulate the reasons that lead you hold this opinion. But it crosses a boundary by telling people that their opinions, which differ from yours, are wrong and that they shouldn't hold those opinions. And what's more, that they are actually ignorant of the real situation by holding said opinions.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you don't want people to take your posts personally or be offended by them, perhaps you should avoid telling people what you think they do or don't need to do with their phone, and making assumptions about a person's level of intimacy with the features of their phone. To quote from you post:

"Nope you cant search text messages but why would you need to."

"Instead of getting upset because WP doesn't search text messages the exact same way the OS you just got tired of and witched form how's about figuring out how this is accomplished on WP?"

It's fine that you personally don't want or feel that you would use an SMS search function. It's also fine that you articulate the reasons that lead you hold this opinion. But it crosses a boundary by telling people that their opinions, which differ from yours, are wrong and that they shouldn't hold those opinions. And what's more, that they are actually ignorant of the real situation by holding said opinions.

The first part of you commentary is self explanatory so I am just going to skip that completely. I feel most get the meaning withoput explination. This second part needs clarification.

But it crosses a boundary by telling people that their opinions, which differ from yours, are wrong and that they shouldn't hold those opinions. And what's more, that they are actually ignorant of the real situation by holding said opinions

What?! How do you come to that conclusion. By no stretch of the imagination did I even imply anything like that. What I said for the record was:

Where in that statement does it say "opinions, which differ from yours, are wrong", " they shouldn't hold those opinions", or and most importantly "they are actually ignorant of the real situation by holding said opinions"? Please don't read into my comments you are not understanding anything I am posting here. If you have questions please ask them but don't try to exadurate my comments to fit your needs. I will help you understand if I can but you will have to ask specific questions so I can give complete answers.

I agree people can get over the top with some replies and attacks. I am in no way justifying personal attacks but I guess part of it is seeing someone flat down expressing that something they deeply care about is not needed just because some people have no use for it. Again I am not justifying it and there are some replies here that are uncalled for.

Hmm... You read my comment as saying that searching text messages is not needed because I don't need it? That is not the message I am trying to get out at all. What I am trying to tell everyone is because Microsoft didn't put in a magnifying glass with a text box that doesn't mean there isn't a way to search messages. On a WP its done differently you can use the People hub where all messages for a single person are consolidated. Search messages by person not text. My hope is that people will see that this is not an omission of a service but a different way of doing things. Would it be nice to have a magnifying glass with a text box? Sure it would but I might not want it in the messaging hub I would like to see it in the people hub so I can search for text in a single persons messages.

Addition of all options available would be great. I hope Microsoft get around to covering in some way everyone's favorite missing feature. In the mean time I hope to give people options or solutions for common differences in OS's things people don't know about the OS is the biggest issue sometimes. So if I can help one person see there is a way to find content in a text message without a magnifying glass then I feel I am helping. That is what and why I posted in this thread and will continue to counter arguments that I feel I have a viable solution to.

Last edited:

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
The problem is you still can't search, even in the people hub. You still have to scroll through not only all the text messages, but emails and phone calls to that person as well.

I have scrolled through months of messages to find a quote before and agree an actual search in text messages would be nice.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of anyone's opinions, this is something that should be addressed. It's a feature that could be useful to almost anyone. Microsoft has been skimping on a few of the most rudimentary features, and something this basic kind of surprises me. Ctrl+f has been a feature of windows for ages, and I don't think the mobile version should have it missing from basic text such as sms. WP8 has no defense against these sorts of features, which are available on all of it's competitors. Microsoft came into WP8 with two very good competitors to take ideas from, and missing simple things like this and an orientation lock is just baffling.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the whole point of needing a search function *that you don't know when or who may have sent the message? *

If you used your phone for business and somebody sent you a contact email or phone number, but you can't recall who it was that sent you that message, or when, then a search function would be useful.

Scrolling through a list of messages in the People hub is a pretty backwards way of doing things.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Correction : Scrolling through a list of messages in the People hub is a *different* way of doing things.

If by different you mean slow and outdated, then sure. There is no reason this functionality shouldn't be included. If you can give me a solid reason why this would detract from the user experience, then your statement is correct. Also, it's not different. Feature phones have had this "way of doing things" since SMS was born. It's time that we innovate, don't you think?

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
If by different you mean slow and outdated, then sure. There is no reason this functionality shouldn't be included. If you can give me a solid reason why this would detract from the user experience, then your statement is correct. Also, it's not different. Feature phones have had this "way of doing things" since SMS was born. It's time that we innovate, don't you think?

il sarcasm better next time...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs