uploading a photo to family room

Psaris

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok, maybe I missed something somewhere.... How do I send photos to my family room? My wife and I both have 8x's, and I want to be able to share our camera rolls between both phones.
1. Yes my family room is setup and shared.
2. Yes my photos are automatically synced to Skydrive
3. No I cannot access my wifes camera roll on my phone via skydrive, and vice versa, no via family room.
4. Help?

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When you take a photo is there not a 'share to' option for your room?

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of explanation from MS about how this really works. I've been thinking about using it but don't see the point if its just my wife and I. We share notebooks and text instead of chat. With 3 or more people then it would be nice. Though a common photo area would be nice. Do you and your wife like the other rooms features?

My guess, since it is intended for us to have multiple rooms (friend, family, work etc), that the camera roll isn't automatically just included in your one room. You probably need to post it to that room manually and I'm assuming those would reside in a special sky drive folder within the creator of the room's SkyDrive. That's how one-note shares.

I was really hoping for us to both have access to a common SkyDrive picture folder that would be synced to both our winphones and all the laptops. However, since we require separate SkyDrive accounts for our phones, it means sharing an entire folder structure (that we both have admin rights to) isn't possible.

Ironically, we can do this with one dropbox account. This isn't unique to MS, just a necessary evil when your gateway to the cloud is an account unique to each phone. I imagine if we both had androids we couldn't share a single gdrive for the same reason.

So now it seems our options are to use a cloud service independent of our phone account (dropbox) or constantly have to choose one account between us to be the server or sharer for each kind of data.

My wife and I can share the same rhapsody account between phones and pcs (fully legally), but not Xbox music. We can share the same dropbox folders, but not SkyDrive. It seems pretty silly.

There is a fast growing demand for 'family sharing' of cloud services now that families have multiple smartphones and tablets. MS is showing that they want that market by introducing family room and kid zone, but its not right yet. No ones got it right yet. First company to get family sharing right will get a nice boost of customers.

Sorry for the rambling. Just letting you know I.get what you are saying!

tomxteam

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Individual pictures are only available via the Family Room or on the room owners Skydrive. To share, open photo, tap App Menu (...)>Share><Your Family Room Name> or from within the family room pan to photos and tap + Add. Sure would be nice to share a whole folder, but I'm not sure I want my wife seeing every photo on my camera roll. :sweaty:

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you know if sharing with another person uses up their SkyDrive storage like dropbox does.

I have 25gb free on SkyDrive and she has 7gb. Would be nice to use the bigger storage as the host.

tomxteam

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if sharing with another person uses up their SkyDrive storage like dropbox does.

I have 25gb free on SkyDrive and she has 7gb. Would be nice to use the bigger storage as the host.

The family room is hosted on creators SkyDrive, so, if you share photos with a member of the family room it'll only use your SkyDrive (as the creator of the rooms) space up.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess that is good. As a comparison, dropbox makes it easier to share an entire folder where all sharers get the full sync to their devices but it counts against each individual's storage limit.

Sharing entire folders with SkyDrive isn't as slick but at least we aren't taking a double data hit to do it.

Psaris

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks, I hadn't tried the "share" option. It does seem silly to have to individually select photos to share with our family room, especially via skydrive, since my photos already sync with it!
And on another note, it is annoying how every single photo I take syncs to skydrive, even the ones I delete off my phone! So if you take alot of pics, you have to be on top of skydrive to delete all the blurry pics before they take up too much space!
And no, personally I don't see much benefit from the rooms features. Why have so many multiple places to chat from, see pictures and updates etc. I guess Microsoft is just trying to be different. But IMO, I prefer having standalone messaging apps, FB apps, Linkedin apps, etc. They just don't work right with MS' whole integrated hub thing...

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Your not getting much out of the room because its you and one other person, it gets very helpful coordinating calendars and stuff for a bunch of people

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You can share full folders with skydrive, managing permissions is easier than dropbox

I mis-spoke. I know you can share folders, it is being able to sync them to different pc's that I'm missing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sharing my skydrive folder with my wife just gives her web access to it. It doesn't show up as a normal hard-drive synced folder on both our pc's that are logged in to our separate SkyDrive accounts like it does when you share with dropbox.

At least that is my understanding, maybe it has changed, if not then I'll bet MS will implement soon since their SkyDrive updates are coming pretty often.

This is the only feature that is causing us to still keep OUR files on dropbox and individual files on SkyDrive. Since SkyDrive storage is much cheaper and I like it much more, I'm hoping this gets upgraded soon.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
My dad has an 820, me an 800 & my brother a nexus 4. Dad created a family room including us, so in my SkyDrive I hv a shared foldr "family room photos". How do I post photos to it?

If I upload a pic to SkyDrive, it doesn't allow me to move it to the family room photos, but only to other folders I hv created in my SkyDrive.

I can't see family room photos in my list of albums on the phone either. I have the latest software version on my 800. any answers? Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans