Linux + music/MP3 transfer to phone

Zenite

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yo. I copy mp3s downloaded from Interweb to Lumia 920's Music folder.

How do I play these? Music app doesn't find em.

What I am doing wrong?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Does your computer recognize your 920 when it is mounted?

The only option would be to move the files manually from the the computer to the 920 if the 920 is recognized when it is mounted. If the 920 shows up like a flash drive that might be possible.

Zenite

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it is recognized as RM-821|Nokia Lumia 920 device.

And mp3's stay there but Music app doesn't play them or find them. I copy files to Music/Albums, Music/Artust and Music/Playlist folders. I tried with lot of different mp3s. Still none of them found when I open Music app.

This is really mystery. So the Music app should find your mp3s from the phones Music folder automatically? Is there any other music player for WP than default?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it is recognized as USB mass storage.

And mp3's stay there but Music app doesn't play them or find them. I tried with lot of different mp3s.

This is really mystery. So the Music app should find your mp3s from the phones Music folder automatically?
It might be due to the file names.

I have a PC running Linux, but I don't have a Windows Phone 8, so I cannot test to see if the file names are the issue.

Zenite

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I copy .mp4 video file to Videos, nothing found. Some pdf files to Documents. PDF reader doesn't find em.

I tried to rename mp3s still nothing.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
i have both Samsung focus S & Lumia 920, i was able to sync music (Specific play list) to Focus S using rythombox (Ubuntu 12.10), it didn't sync the artist information but was able to play songs on focus s, still trying to sync Lumia 920 no luck so far. Ubuntu doesn't even mount my Lumia 920, will let you know if i am successful.

Zenite

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I didn't use any sync program. I just used Linux Mints Nemo File manager that shows Lumia 920 when you connect it with usb cable to computer.

I think I need to use MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I was using Ubuntu as my primary OS and using an iPhone, I had to create a VirtualBox VM running Windows XP so I could use iTunes for phone management (including music syncing, since it was never smooth on Linux). You might want to consider something like that... you could map your Linux music folders onto your Windows VM through the VirtualBox software, and copy them from Windows using the VirtualBox USB mapping.

Otherwise, I think you're SOL unless Ubuntu handles MTP... which it may do in theory, but putting it into practice is something different altogether.

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I also have considered this, I have been trying to find a way to modify the Syncing app with a program like Orca, but needs a MSI application and not exe. The app sees Wine and PlayonLinux as a server OS and I remember doing something similar to this to get Zune to work on Server 2008+R2 for my Windows 7 handset. If that doesn't work then a VM machine is the only way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb