Finally, were ganing traction with apps.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I contacted DirecTV and a Sunday ticket app. Let them know I wasn't to happy about paying for the service and not able to use it on my mobile.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Instagram is not the only major app we are missing, and all of the new apps being announced, none of them are announced for WP8.

I would believe that we are gaining traction if new major app announcements include WP8, but that's not happening. When WatchESPN, HBOGo, Showtime App, etc... comes to WP8, then we will be "gaining traction". Some crappy speed test or priceline port is not gaining traction.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the facts are weighing heavily in the favor of WP

Unless you're looking through completely rose-colored glasses, they really don't. Sure, the raw number of apps in the marketplace is growing, but... that's a very poor indicator, really. You can have fifty thousand million quadrillion apps in the store, but if they're not the apps which people *want* that number doesn't matter.

Look, I want WP to succeed as much as you do. But you have to be realistic about its success. And yeah, it's great that there are more apps in the marketplace than there were, but that's not really a reason to rejoice. When the apps that people actually want are on WP, *then* we'll have a reason to rejoice.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Unless you're looking through completely rose-colored glasses, they really don't. Sure, the raw number of apps in the marketplace is growing, but... that's a very poor indicator, really. You can have fifty thousand million quadrillion apps in the store, but if they're not the apps which people *want* that number doesn't matter.

Look, I want WP to succeed as much as you do. But you have to be realistic about its success. And yeah, it's great that there are more apps in the marketplace than there were, but that's not really a reason to rejoice. When the apps that people actually want are on WP, *then* we'll have a reason to rejoice.

Just tap the Apps link above...

Apps | Windows Phone Central

Read through some of that then tell me we have zero good news. I say there are some very positive facts in that list.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, very few of those are major apps and at least one of the few major apps on that list still lacks important features of its iOS and Android version (Evernote).

In other app news, yesterday Pulse announces a major update that got a lot of press... for Android and iOS. This is the story over and over again, major apps just aren't coming to WP8.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Read through some of that then tell me we have zero good news.

I never said there wasn't good news, and I did say it's good to see the app count increase. All I'm saying is that a rising app count is not cause for excitement or celebration. Getting top-name apps with large user bases which people are asking for without major bugs and disappointments (I'm looking at you, WhatsApp), now that's a cause for excitement and celebration.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't that long ago that the android app situation was considered a big disadvantage compared to iOS. Now those two ecosystems are close and it didn't take long for android to close the gap. In my mind the heavy lifting with making apps is getting the design and function right. Then porting that to another platform is considerably less work. Not trivializing it, but I think we saw evidence of that by how fast great apps were ported to android once it gained a big enough user base. We are just at the beginning of that with WP. Things should really start to snowball for us this year like it did for android about 18 months ago. At least that's my hope.

With players like blackberry and ms trying to make things easier to port from windows, ios, and android, hopefully what will result in developers being more platform agnostic as they get good at porting their designs.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Dominoes pizza app

have pizzahut, it's much better :p
Pizza Hut | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I'm still unable to view or edit a PDF which is a basic phone function

what do u mean you can't view pdf...? i can view it in WP7, why would WP8 be different?

now... with all these cussing and spitting all over the marketplace, please be reminded some of the things that is starting to move over... such as Draw Something and Words With Friends, which were among to top complaints last year, Mirror's Edge is Nokia exclusive so far, but hopefully that will change, and Pandora said they are coming

i mean seriously, there has been alot of good things that has happened and in the process of happening, WP8 is out for what, 2 month may be? the SDK is only out for 3 month iirc... give it time, it's not like we've been able to use the new SDK for two years already

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I open pdfs on my phone all the time. As far as editing them goes... Who is able to edit on any mobile? That's hard enough to get done on a PC!

Though I will agree that viewing pdfs is clunkier than it should be, especially given how great mobile office is. If MS really wants to say they are the OS to get work done then they need better mobile PDF support.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I open pdfs on my phone all the time. As far as editing them goes... Who is able to edit on any mobile? That's hard enough to get done on a PC!

Though I will agree that viewing pdfs is clunkier than it should be, especially given how great mobile office is. If MS really wants to say they are the OS to get work done then they need better mobile PDF support.
exactly, download PDF reader and you will be fine

asinrutee

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I shouldn't worry too much about instagram, according to a report I read today, they have lost 50% of their users in the last month so perhaps not such a big deal

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Re: Finally, were gaming traction with apps.

The newest version says it does support in app flight booking. I havent downloadedas I use a discount buying club for travel andother items.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon