School Email onto phone??

jprdford

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has asked this or tried but I can't seem to get my school email into my phone. Not sure if I am supposed to be doing something specific to get it on there or what. It won't let me put it in there and link it like a normal email like gmail. Does a student or even anyone know how I would be able to achieve doing this? Lumia 920

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I go to school at UMBC so my account is @umbc.edu but it uses Gmail. I managed to get mine to work just by adding that email as if it was a Gmail account. What service do you use on your pc?

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I made a doc file in the past which helped me remember how to reinput my settings for my ucr email when I reformat my phone. These are my settings, it would probably work for you too since mine uses Gmail as well. Don't really remember what everything means, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. So happy that the settings are saved when I reformat my phone now.

UCR
Username@ucr.edu
imap.gmail.com
password
smtp.ucr.edu
no SSL

jprdford

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Tried to mess with it a little bit more yesterday but just can't seem to figure it out. I tried it as a Gmail account but it didn't work. Tried to set it up as another account but now it says I cant because it says I already have that account in use(from the first time when I tried to set it up as a Gmail) so now I'm trying to delete the one Gmail that it believes is in use.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Tried to mess with it a little bit more yesterday but just can't seem to figure it out. I tried it as a Gmail account but it didn't work. Tried to set it up as another account but now it says I cant because it says I already have that account in use(from the first time when I tried to set it up as a Gmail) so now I'm trying to delete the one Gmail that it believes is in use.

I'm doing this now to verify it works
  1. Settings -> email + accounts -> add an account
  2. Select "advanced setup"
  3. enter your school email address and password then hit next
  4. select Internet Mail
  5. incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
  6. account type: imap4
  7. username: school email address
  8. password: school email password
  9. outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com

That should at least allow you to sync mail.

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has asked this or tried but I can't seem to get my school email into my phone. Not sure if I am supposed to be doing something specific to get it on there or what. It won't let me put it in there and link it like a normal email like gmail. Does a student or even anyone know how I would be able to achieve doing this? Lumia 920

I go to school at BU which uses Gmail and there was a settings I had to go into to allow access to third parties and I believe I had to do something with my school to allow the access.

I would reach out to your schools helpdesk or something on how to get it to work if it is even possible with your schools network.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Depends what your school uses. My uni (Bradford) uses Outlook so Just set it up as an outlook account. Had to tinker with the domain but aside from that it was pretty much username and password and away I go.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Some of the suggestions you got here might ? or might not ? help. Some schools have pretty standard mail setups, and others don?t. If yours was plain vanilla, you?d probably already be in, because your phone would have taken your email address and password and done the rest for you.

Typically, somewhere on a school?s website there are instructions for setting up an email account on a phone. (If not, contact your school?s IT tech support.) If there aren?t instructions for Windows phone, try following the instructions for iPhone or Android. You may need to know, for example, whether to use an Exchange server, imap, webmail, pop, or something else. Sometimes you?ll need to enter the server names for incoming and outgoing mail.

There?s a way to do it ? it?s just a matter of finding out the specific requirements at your school.

jprdford

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Awesome got it to work! Tried to set it up like a advanced setup at first and went with a gmail, didn't work. Then just tried it as an Outlook account like from a couple posts up said they did and it worked and synced perfectly. thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6