Deleting e-mail, multiple devices.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have a problem while deleting e-mail. If I get an e-mails on the phone from multiple accounts and delete it and then I will start using my Surface I will receive the same e-mails on tablet again and even if I remove them there and them I'll jump to my desktop with W8 I will receive them again (I've changed Outlook setting to delete e-mails when using any third party e-mail app, but still that doesn't help). What should I do to be able to get rid of them from one device only without having to do that again and again?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
How did you set up your email?

The behavior you describe happens with POP3 accounts, as every device will just check the server for mails and just download them. If you set it up with IMAP (or Exchange) it should mark the mails as read (or delete them directly if you delete them on a device) on the server.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It is IMAP

After deleting the mails, do you sync back? That's the only thing I can think of.

I use IMAP on two computers (Outlook and Windows Live), my WP8 phone and sometimes over the web interface, and it works like a charm without setting any special options. Maybe somebody else has more ideas.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I think it works and I'm not seeing same emails after I do sync, although shouldn't this be automatic? It's kind of annoying to do that every time I delete them.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I think it works and I'm not seeing same emails after I do sync, although shouldn't this be automatic? It's kind of annoying to do that every time I delete them.

It depends, I sync every 15 minutes, so if I delete an email after I've received it, it will take almost 15 minutes until this syncs back to the server.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I think if you have the phone set to receive messages "As they arrive" then it's auto-instant. Otherwise it works in tandem with your settings. If the emails are set to check every 30 minutes then it could be up to 30 minutes before changes made on the phone are reflected on the server. If set to manually then you have to manually hit that sync button.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
It is not instant. Sometimes mine takes 15min or so to get RT and laptop in sync. So far mine is always automatic but it is not always instant. Just give it a little bit to get synced.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05