Wow am I glad I didn't make the 'switch'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd been eyeing the Lumia 920 ever since it was announced. It's suppose to release in Pakistan (where I live) in about a week or two. I hadn't thought of this but I just glanced at the Pakistan based Windows Phone marketplace. You can check it out here.
Notice how it has almost NOTHING there? I mean WTH? Where's Rowi? Where are all the great Twitter apps? Heck there aren't even any categories to choose from. Only 'all'. Almost all popular WP8 apps I search for yield no results. How awesome.
Now I know many of you will hate me for mentioning it but on iOS and Android this does not happen. Sure there are some apps which are regional and not available in the PK region, but 95% of them are. Microsoft mentioned they will expand the marketplace to 180 countries. Bang up job.

Rant aside, am I doing something wrong here? And no, I can't use a US based account because I won't be able to buy apps from my PK based credit card.

Izzyq8

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Dude. Just switch the region in the settings and ur good to go. That's what I did and it works perfectly. Even purchasing with my local kuwaity credit card

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd been eyeing the Lumia 920 ever since it was announced. It's suppose to release in Pakistan (where I live) in about a week or two. I hadn't thought of this but I just glanced at the Pakistan based Windows Phone marketplace. You can check it out here.
Notice how it has almost NOTHING there? I mean WTH? Where's Rowi? Where are all the great Twitter apps? Heck there aren't even any categories to choose from. Only 'all'. Almost all popular WP8 apps I search for yield no results. How awesome.
Now I know many of you will hate me for mentioning it but on iOS and Android this does not happen. Sure there are some apps which are regional and not available in the PK region, but 95% of them are. Microsoft mentioned they will expand the marketplace to 180 countries. Bang up job.

Rant aside, am I doing something wrong here? And no, I can't use a US based account because I won't be able to buy apps from my PK based credit card.

Look buddy, true the market on different region hardly any good apps. Im not sure if u changed your region to USA, are u sure u cant buy apps? im not really sure of that! Anyways look, rather then informing us that its "good" u didnt make the switch! Just keep it to ur self and yep buy u an iphone 5 or LG opt G or Xperia Z and dont waste our time to express ur thoughts and feelings about "switching" Gd day...

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Dude. Just switch the region in the settings and ur good to go. That's what I did and it works perfectly. Even purchasing with my local kuwaity credit card

So u changed your region to USA and now ur buying apps normally? If so, tell this dude about it so he can keep his posts away from here about "Switching"

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Look buddy, true the market on different region hardly any good apps. Im not sure if u changed your region to USA, are u sure u cant buy apps? im not really sure of that! Anyways look, rather then informing us that its "good" u didnt make the switch! Just keep it to ur self and yep buy u an iphone 5 or LG opt G or Xperia Z and dont waste our time to express ur thoughts and feelings about "switching" Gd day...
Thank you. I probably know better than you what I want and what I don't. If you have something here that will help me solve this problem please do so, otherwise help yourself out of this thread.
Thanks.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I probably know better than you what I want and what I don't. If you have something here that will help me solve this problem please do so, otherwise help yourself out of this thread.
Thanks.

Well, Izzyq8 and i posted here to help you out, but seriously your post title at least for me, its not cool... I mean if ur serious about the Nokia 920, then u could have asked us with out "wow am i glad i didnt make the "switch"! not cool..so all what i did, is told u move on to Andriod or ios..by the way i have my iphone 4 and nokia and enjoy both so not a big deal..And your welcome :)

dronkula

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

Well, you couldn't posted originally a bit more 'diplomatically'. Something along the lines of 'I was thinking of getting a NL 920 but checked the app store for my country and there's nothing in there - has anyone got any ideas of how to get around this?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, you couldn't posted originally a bit more 'diplomatically'. Something along the lines of 'I was thinking of getting a NL 920 but checked the app store for my country and there's nothing in there - has anyone got any ideas of how to get around this?
I know but it wouldn't have been 'attention grabbing' :p
You guys are looking at my title negatively. All I mean is that I am glad I didn't make the 'switch' YET because I just found out about this problem. There was no offence meant.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, Izzyq8 and i posted here to help you out, but seriously your post title at least for me, its not cool... I mean if ur serious about the Nokia 920, then u could have asked us with out "wow am i glad i didnt make the "switch"! not cool..so all what i did, is told u move on to Andriod or ios..by the way i have my iphone 4 and nokia and enjoy both so not a big deal..And your welcome :)
I apologize if the title meant any offence. Trust me that wasn't the intention.

Novaone

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
C'mon guys no need to be so hostile.
That are are barriers for customers in other regions who want the phone but get a ****ty user experience, its a valid complaint, and it is Microsoft fault. Hopefully it is worked on. If it is true, WP8 should not have launched in Pakistan..
I can not speak to if you can change region though, I have a [lowley] 710.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
C'mon guys no need to be so hostile.
That are are barriers for customers in other regions who want the phone but get a ****ty user experience, its a valid complaint, and it is Microsoft fault. Hopefully it is worked on. If it is true, WP8 should not have launched in Pakistan..
I can not speak to if you can change region though, I have a [lowley] 710.

I understand what you mean but hey, WP is still new and needs time to expand. We are lucky (WP lovers :p) that MS can let us change region so we get FREE and PAID applications no matter were we are! So everyone here are saying that if u change region u can still buy apps normally! I suppose it just fine

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I apologize if the title meant any offence. Trust me that wasn't the intention.

Okay buddy its cool :) anyways good news, u can change region and still buy apps! Honestly, Nokia is an awesome device..hope ur problem is fixed and let me tell u something incase u still wanna buy nokia 920. Yes it still need time so u can be able to compare with IOS or Andriod but for sure u will love the UI! Best of luck!!!

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I am in the UK, and use my Dubai based credit card for USA regional marketplace.
Can you please clarify:
  • Is your phone set to USA region?
  • Is your live account set to USA region?
  • What determines marketplace region; the region set on the phone or the region set on your Live account?
  • If my live(outlook) account is set to Pakistan, but I set the phone to USA, will the phone display the USA market? And will then I be able to use a Pakistan based credit card?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean change the region to USA when setting up the phone or changing the region of my Outlook/Hotmail account?

Even after the phone is set up, you can go to settings and change the region. Not changing the region of where you account was made. It is changing your physical phone location to USA from within the phone. Nothing to do with your accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss