Complex Password

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
After Working with WP8 and MDM some Questions about Password Complexity came around and maybe someone can help me...

- Can i Choose Complex Password without MDM?
- If i choose Complex Password by MDM i get the Complete Keyboard but i would like to get the Numbers Only Keyboard and set that Password must be 6 Digits or more. Is that possible?

Thanks for your help and Sorry for my bad English again

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
- If i choose Complex Password by MDM i get the Complete Keyboard but i would like to get the Numbers Only Keyboard and set that Password must be 6 Digits or more. Is that possible?
"Complex passwords" use numbers and letters, so the full keyboard has to show to get numbers.

Like you, we wanted the numeric-only keyboard because the buttons are larger. We got our security folks to agree to let us turn off "complex passwords" of we set the minimum length to 6 and set the device auto-wipe after 10 repeated password errors. (We have not yet added the auto-wipe rule as some people are worried that their children will try to use their phones and destroy all of their photos, music, etc.)

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I thought the Same but WP8 is not the Only Device we have to Manage and we can't turn off Complex Passwords only for a good Handling on some WP8 Devices so i hope Microsoft will get up fron their Seat and change that so we can Choose and also bring all the much needed Buisness Properties like WLAN by Certificate and VPN!

It's good that WP8 has MDM after WP7 had Nothing but AES but they need to get some things working fast if the want to be back as a Buisness Solution on a Competetiv Level.

gerbir21

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Our organization is evaluating Windows Phone but is delaying on acceptance until several security items are addressed. Among them, is the 'inability of WP8 to support true alphanumeric/complex passwords'. Is this not already supported in WP8? Based on what I am reading in this thread, the ability to enforce complex passwords is present via MDM solution. Is the ability to enforce alphanumeric/complex password dependent on the MDM solution, the phone OS or a combination of both? We are currently using MobileIron as our MDM solution.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Complex passwords (i.e., numbers, letters, etc.) can be turned on via an Exchange ActiveSync policy. This means that a firm can do it without a stand-alone MDM since Exchange itself can set the policy. Users cannot set complex passwords, PIN length, or device encryption themselves -- those settings must come from a server.

I believe that our testing showed that all of the operating systems would show the full keyboard when "complex password" was turned on and that all would show the numeric keyboard otherwise. I'm pretty sure that there is a setting (I forget its name) to disallow stupid numeric passwords (i.e., 111111, 123456, etc.) -- that might help you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans