SMS back up can be viewed online

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I saw a few threads early January where everyone said there was no way to see what's been backed up or see those messages if you delete them. I just found out that even if the messages are deleted from the phone and you want to view them, you can do it in outlook.com without having to restore the phone.

It's under the list of folders in the folder called "Messaging history" but you can't see that folder if you view your Microsoft account emails on your phone. It's only when you log in on the web on a PC.

Folks might already know this, but it's out there if anyone had missed it like me!

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't sound daft at all. But yes, I do have SMS backup turned on. I had to factory reset my first Lumia once and when it restored all of my SMS's were restored to my phone. When my replacement 920 arrived, as soon as I entered my @Live account all my SMS's were restored to my new phone so I know it definitely has backed up my SMS's.

Also, on my Outlook page where the chat messages are displayed it states there are 539 messages on the bottom but I only have a handful of chat messages displayed. So unless I'm missing something really obvious I'm not able to see my SMS's online.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok I need to check my settings and let you guys know. I have messages, chats only and messages + chats mixed as well for some contacts.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
weird I have 1442 messages, and 42 pages but I can only browse page 1 and 2 and they are Messenger chat history. I can't seem to find a filter applied. It does say view All

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok weird. I logged back in on my outlook.com.
This morning I was able to browse through all 77 pages of messaging history. Now even though it says 77 pages, I can only see 2 pages and they are fb chat. I tried to apply and re apply filters, but they don't do a thing! :(

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
If you interop unlock, you can install a homebrew SMS backup app which allows you to backup/export both SMS & Chat to your computer in several formats. It's also possible to restore.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it was a glitch that you saw them that one time? I think they are all there because it shows a large number count at the bottom.

They would need a better way to list the SMS messages then just in one big list due to the fact you could have multiple phones using one Live ID so they need like a sub folder under each one with the device..

Argo117

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure this has nothing to do with SMS backup. Instead, since you have linked your Microsoft account with Facebook and/or Skype, it has the ability to read those messages and reproduce them on Outlook.com. Seems as if it has absolutely nothing to do with your Windows Phone. In fact, perhaps we should get somebody with an Outlook account linked to Facebook/Skype who doesn't own a Windows Phone to check on this.

heijenoort

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it was a glitch that you saw them that one time? I think they are all there because it shows a large number count at the bottom.

My messaging history contains 2546 messages. This number is incremented some minutes after an SMS is sent. (now is 2548)
In the footer I read "Page 1 of 73" but I can navigate the first 2 or 3 pages only and I see only Facebook/Skype message.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
My messaging history contains 2546 messages. This number is incremented some minutes after an SMS is sent. (now is 2548)
In the footer I read "Page 1 of 73" but I can navigate the first 2 or 3 pages only and I see only Facebook/Skype message.

Yep, I agree. They are there, but Microsoft has just not given us the ability to see them...

Winphoner

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that you can indeed see your SMS history online... but it's either hidden on purpose, or else (and more likely), it's just build in a very $#!tty way.
Anyway, i was able to see it by changing my URL to this after navigating to the Messaging folder in Outlook.

https://blu002.mail.live.com/default.aspx?fid=b#3

Proof:
wp8_msgHistOnline.png

Phone number redacted to protect the innocent, although you can atleast guess my city and country from the area code!

Can any one else confirms if this works for them?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)