Syncing Google calendar and contacts in future?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I know all about Google stopping the syncing of calendar and contacts with Windows phones. However, I thought that this would only affect new devices and it would still work on existing devices and accounts. When I read the article on WPCentral front page, it seemed to say that contacts and calendar would not sync in the future. So, will it still work for existing users after this month?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Sucks. I'm all for using Microsoft over Google, but it is just not as good. For example, photos can't be added to contacts and can't be synced from Outlook. Also, custom labels for numbers/addresses are in Google, but not Outlook and no categories in Outlook.com. If MS really wants to compete with the big boys, they need to get on the ball.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sucks. I'm all for using Microsoft over Google, but it is just not as good. For example, photos can't be added to contacts and can't be synced from Outlook. Also, custom labels for numbers/addresses are in Google, but not Outlook and no categories in Outlook.com. If MS really wants to compete with the big boys, they need to get on the ball.
I'm hoping that when MS rolls out DAV support that they'll open up some custom label support and remove the restrictions on the number of addresses and email addresses each contact can have.

I'm also hoping for better event invitation support from Google calendar as well. Accepting is spotty at best, and changes don't always reflect in Outlook.com calendar either.

My Lumia is pretty useless for contacts and calendars right now for me.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I found a workaround with google. You can change you sync settings. I have all my calendars, all my contacts, and zero issues.
That doesn't change the fact that if you have in any way customized your Google Contacts, EAS will chop them up.

EDIT: when I say ignore here, I mean that the data isn't synchronized at all. It is missing from your contacts in Outlook.com

1. If you've customized the description for phone, email or snail mail EAS ignores it.
2. If a contact gas more than 2 or 3 email address, the extra are ignored.
3. Same with snail mail. More than 2 or 3, extras are ignored.
4. More than a few phone numbers? Those aren't ignored, they're added as text notes that can't be dialed from the phone.

If MS doesn't add the ability to sync my contacts properly with their DAV implementation I'll probably try a BB 10 device next. I had to manually adjust the 30+ essential contacts of my 400 or so total so that I could do at least something with my Lumia.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Well, it's not Microsoft that is stopping the syncing, but they should have not have relied so much on Google to sync the data. That is probably why they started outlook.com and while it has some nice features and can do basic syncing with Outlook, it is just not at the level of maturity as Google. They should have really focused more on improving it in the last six months, but of course, they were/are focused on Win8 and Surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99