Restrict In App Purchases from Kid's Corner

EvilHomer3k

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have seen several articles that state that IAPs are restricted in kid's corner. I have kids corner setup. I have a passcode on my phone. I installed Beards & Beaks (a game I previously uninstalled due to the inclusion of IAP). I tried buying a mushroom from B&B in kid's corner. I lost 40 points. I thought maybe I had something wrong. I checked my settings again. I went to kid's corner, checked that I was in KC, started Beards, purchased a mushroom for 40 points. Removed B&B from kids corner. I have yet to receive an email about the purchase.I checked my balance and it is down 80 points.

So am I doing something wrong? Does the IAP lockout actually work? Are the articles wrong?

I checked the setup guide to see if I was doing it wrong/right and I seem to be following it.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I don't think there's that feature specifically for Kid's Corner, but just add a passcode specifically to your Wallet app, and it's supposed to prevent that. I don't have that specific game, so I don't know if it's working or not in that though.

EvilHomer3k

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I added a PIN for purchases. B&B didn't ask for the pin and allowed the purchase. Is it different for games the use Xbox points than actual money? The pin works as expected when I try to buy a game from the market and asks for the pin before I can buy a game/app/music. I'm going to try putting Gun Brothers on there and see if that uses MS points or market wallet.

EvilHomer3k

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Installed Gun Bros and it works the same. I have a pin set up on wallet purchases. I have a passcode on the phone set to ask for the code each time. Neither Beards and Beaks nor Gun Bros asks for any sort of confirmation (other than the standard buy button) when making in app purchases from either kids corner or my regular account. In my wallet I have an ATT account and a Visa account. Nothing in there for MS points.

EvilHomer3k

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It IS spending my money. Points are purchased with money. In app purchases seem to us MS points. If I don't have any points it won't buy them. It isn't restricting anything that wasn't already restricted. According to the site I posted above Kid's Corner is supposed to restrict ALL IAPs.

By default, you can't make any Windows Phone Store purchases from Kid's Corner. However, if you set up a Wallet PIN on your phone, your child will be able to make in-app purchases (such as game points or levels) from Kid's Corner. You'll need to enter the PIN to complete each purchase.

From the FAQ linked from the setup guide:
▼Can my child make in-app purchases while in Kid's Corner?
If you want your child to be able to make in-app purchases (things like game levels, bonus points, or subscriptions) in Kid's Corner, you'll need to set up a Wallet PIN on your phone. If you've got a Wallet PIN, your child can make purchases if you (or they) enter the PIN. If you don't set a Wallet PIN, your child won't be able to make any in-app purchases in Kid's Corner.

That indicates to me that you can't make IAPs in KC yet I can definitely do that. It doesn't say anything about it only working with CC purchases and IAPs don't even work with CC purchases (you have to use points).

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This is something that needs to be fixed across all mobile platforms. I'm afraid to let my kids play games, they can just rack up in app purchases cause they can't read and just click (toddlers, they love Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786