Portico update: Images still soft on Lumia 920

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Although the arithmetics seem to support your stance on the number of pixels used to capture an object, I do not buy into it. Note 2, i5 and SG3 have 8MP, while L920 has a 8.7MP, so the extra pixels should compensate for the wider lens.
L920 has 8.7MP sensor but a different subset of it is used to get 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio shots. They use this clever approach to get the most bang out of the available pixels. You are getting 8.0MP for 4:3 and 7.1MP for 16:9. See the illustration in this whitepaper from Nokia: http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/1824212/data/2/-/Download-pureview-820.pdf

Also, if your theory was true, L920 should kill my 5MP Torch in daylight, unfortunately is the other way around.

It's not a theory. Not saying there is nothing else in play here but what I said is a fact. A 5MP picture sharpened for certain display resolution can always look "sharper" than 8MP. People who upgraded from Nikon D90 to D7000 got higher resolution but complained that it's not as sharp because they were pixel peeping at 100%. It depends on many things: lens focal length, how jpeg engine processes it and what resolution you view your image, etc. The OP didn't even compare them on the same screen.

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link, TK. Although I did not read it thoroughly yet, I see they talk quite a bit about the low light shots. I will have to return to it later.

It?s just from an end user perspective, one should not need to understand and research all these whitepapers and web resources. Buying the flagship handset of Nokia late 2012, one is entitled to expect progress and improvements in absolutely ALL aspects compared to a 2010 BB (which did not have the best hardware anyways). We are looking at more than two years, which is a very long time for technology.

When I say I am disappointed with the daylight shots of L920, I do not arrive to that conclusion by overanalyzing and zooming to 100% or beyond. I do not take the same shot with two cameras and then display them on two monitors side by side. Just by using the camera for almost three months I can easily tell I hate the daylight pictures.

L920 takes amazing pictures in low lights as well as close-ups. It?s hard for me to believe that it can?t get better in daylight. Portico definitely brought an improvement so it?s obvious Nokia did not get the algorithm right the first time. I hope they can further improve it, as I badly need a good camera for work and do not want to carry a P&S.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link, TK. Although I did not read it thoroughly yet, I see they talk quite a bit about the low light shots. I will have to return to it later.

It’s just from an end user perspective, one should not need to understand and research all these whitepapers and web resources. Buying the flagship handset of Nokia late 2012, one is entitled to expect progress and improvements in absolutely ALL aspects compared to a 2010 BB (which did not have the best hardware anyways). We are looking at more than two years, which is a very long time for technology.

When I say I am disappointed with the daylight shots of L920, I do not arrive to that conclusion by overanalyzing and zooming to 100% or beyond. I do not take the same shot with two cameras and then display them on two monitors side by side. Just by using the camera for almost three months I can easily tell I hate the daylight pictures.

L920 takes amazing pictures in low lights as well as close-ups. It’s hard for me to believe that it can’t get better in daylight. Portico definitely brought an improvement so it’s obvious Nokia did not get the algorithm right the first time. I hope they can further improve it, as I badly need a good camera for work and do not want to carry a P&S.

Hmm..I've looked at BB Torch shots in Flickr and they don't look any sharper than L920 to me. In fact, I find them somewhat lower quality than L920.

In general, I think some people (not you) are perhaps expecting too much in daylight shots. Most DSLRs, cheap and very expensive, they all perform very similarly in daylight condition. It's hard to find difference in blind test. Go to Flickr and browse daylight shots from $400 14MP DSLR like Nikon D3100 and then $3000 36MP DSLR like Nikon D800. You will have trouble distinguishing difference in normal PC screen. Seriously. But it's a totally different story for low light shots though. It's the same pattern with L920 and competing phones. Once in daylight, you get pretty good pictures across the line (even 5MP ones from 1-2 yr ago as long as you are viewing them in low res like 720px) and differences if any are pretty minor. But again the big difference shows up only in low light. In this case, L920 blows them out.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I did a warranty replacement on my Lumia 920 2 weeks ago & my firmware is at 1232, looks like the firmware should be at 1249, how do i update my phone. Thanks in advance, i don't think this is the right place to post this but i searched the forums for this & i couldn't find any threads related to this.

XboxHornet

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, have you read this article [FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.windowscentral.com/creative-studios-nokia-fine-tuning-your-lumia-windows-phone-pictures

Softness of photos is pretty easy to fix with creative studio, not a perfect solution, but better than nothing[/FONT]

XboxHornet

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I did a warranty replacement on my Lumia 920 2 weeks ago & my firmware is at 1232, looks like the firmware should be at 1249, how do i update my phone. Thanks in advance, i don't think this is the right place to post this but i searched the forums for this & i couldn't find any threads related to this.
I got notification that the update was available today. You can check if the update is available on your network in settings

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Posting images from SG3, Lumia 920 and iPhone 4S... the truth is out there SG3 kills Lumia 920 in daylight/ well illuminated conditions

First image from iPhone 4S...pretty average
photo(2).jpg

Second image from my Lumia 920
WP_20130130_004.jpg
The image is not only soft but it also has an undue yellowish tinge to it or kind of over-saturates, especially in left corner

The best image from SG3
20130130_143536.jpg

All were taken at auto-settings, from same seat, by same person and at the same time...

So what do you folks have to say about these images??

(This is the first time I am uploading pics if there is something wrong in the method please let me know)

Last edited:

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Can you take these pics again, but all in the same 4:3 aspect ration ... Lumia 920 is 16:9 (others 4:3) ... yeah, I am curious :)

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Few more images with same aspect ratio 4:3

Lumia 920
WP_20130206_001.jpg
see how the image is over-exposed and the notice board on left is unclear

Same image with Samsung galaxy 3
20130206_140538.jpg
looks better isn't it??

Another one with my Lumia 920
WP_20130206_002.jpg

Compared with SG3
20130206_140547.jpg

I don't know what is the reason images in SG3 are clearer and more balanced than Lumia 920...a serious let down as far as Lumia 920 is concerned

I purchased Lumia 920 considering the fact that it has the best camera in smartphones...but am seriously disappointed.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Few more images with same aspect ratio 4:3

Lumia 920
View attachment 28120
see how the image is over-exposed and the notice board on left is unclear

Same image with Samsung galaxy 3
View attachment 28121
looks better isn't it??

Another one with my Lumia 920
View attachment 28122

Compared with SG3
View attachment 28123

I don't know what is the reason images in SG3 are clearer and more balanced than Lumia 920...a serious let down as far as Lumia 920 is concerned

I purchased Lumia 920 considering the fact that it has the best camera in smartphones...but am seriously disappointed.

I do not understand why you can not make exactly the same photos with the same aspect ratio ... any move any way (up/down or left/right) make them uncomparable ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb