"Other" Storage Woes

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
This is a GROWING problem for me. I've had dialog with @WinPhoneSupport, but they are only looking into it and have no idea what's going on. They have a theory that uninstalling apps might take up space in "Other". I find the whole thing aggravating. It's too big to just be a vague catch-all category with no insight and no way to tame it, if it gets too big.

How big is your "other"? Does anyone know what's going on with it and/or how to solve it. It's so bad, that I've considered a hard reset to start over.

wp_ss_20130128_0002.png

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
seems like an OS error. in solid state storage, when you delete a file it's simply marked for deletion. the OS then occasionally sends a trim command for the storage controller to actually resets the NAND chips. looks like WP got an error in that process so "other" is basically your recycle bin.

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I've figured it out....I've been monitoring this more then I like to admit..haha

Mine only grows when I send pictures to my SkyDrive. So I downloaded SkyDrive onto my and I send my photos through my PC directly to my SkyDrive now.

Antchexec

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It appears my Lumia 820 works the same way; when I upload from an SD card to the Sky Drive, at least. Nearly 10mb uploaded, to test what you observed, resulted in a 10MB rise in 'Other' (or as best as can be discerned with the rounding at 10MB minimum). Deleting those pictures from the SkyDrive achieved nothing; and I have still lost that memory to 'Other'. However, it was a worthwhile excercise, and I have turned off the AutoUpload, for a start!

I'm sure this must only be part of the problem; but anything that keeps 'Other' in check is a good idea; particularly with a factory reset being the only remedy, it seems.

stiflingcobra

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I had a other partition of 3.5gb on my Lumia 820... I did a quick test of filling up the rest of the storage with iso images etc until i got the storage alerts.

I cancelled these and kept copying. I found the phone did start free'ing up more space as it went.

Once i had deleted my iso's my other files only amounted to 2gb so it had reclaimed 1.5gb.

That took me about 10mins and is better then doing a reset.

It's comforting to know the space is not gone forever but it does need addressing and for us to have the option to run a manual clean up.

Kei Square

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
seems like an OS error. in solid state storage, when you delete a file it's simply marked for deletion. the OS then occasionally sends a trim command for the storage controller to actually resets the NAND chips. looks like WP got an error in that process so "other" is basically your recycle bin.
how do we empty this without resetting the phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon