FLASH PLAYER for wp8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kei Square

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
i know it's not the biggest deal, but you have to admit... there are enough times in a week, where i wish i could stream, or the video would play right from the broswer... <sigh>

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
You can always manually whitelist the sites you use most. But yeh, I definitely agree this should work out of the box. Windows RT is still Windows for god sake, no reason to limit our browsing experience!

Edit: sorry I thought we were talking RT. Definitely not getting flash for phone.

Last edited:

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Flash is garbage. I don't even enable it on my desktop anymore. I don't miss it. Its only used for annoying advertising banners.
Any website that uses it has either switched to HTML5 or has a non-flash alternative, or just plain sucks. You can live without flash. Unless you love streaming illegal sporting events on your phone.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I found using incognito browser seems to stream where IE doesn't. But it can't save websites.
Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So what does MS intend to do about this??
My hope is not to do a thing. Flash is an aweful technology. Even on my RT, sites like WPCrentral locked up all the time due to flash player.

Since there no flash support on either Android (it was killed a while back) and iOS (never support), there is zero reason for Microsoft to add this into WP especially Adobe itself has killed Flash Mobile player team already.

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
So what does MS intend to do about this??

Ms can't do anything about it. The replacement for flash is html5, which isn't standard yet and is still undergoing heavy changes under the hood. Because of this web developers don't want to use it, as it is still evolving. Ms can't push devs to upgrade their sites to html5, the only thing you can do is good for your websites developers to update them to it.

Sent from the stars...

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Ms can't do anything about it. The replacement for flash is html5, which isn't standard yet and is still undergoing heavy changes under the hood. Because of this web developers don't want to use it, as it is still evolving. Ms can't push devs to upgrade their sites to html5, the only thing you can do is good for your websites developers to update them to it.

Sent from the stars...
Partially true.

Developers ARE using HTML5. It is still evolving; but additional assets like native video and Canvas animations are seeing greater use. All new sites we develop are HTML 5, and will probably be based on responsive design that better accommodates small screen devices like phones and tablets. It's true that the standards are still being finalized; but the core functionality is pretty much set. Even the latest version of Firefox now supports the mp4 video format.

Mobile browsers still don't play Web videos in the browser; I'll be real glad when that happens.

Now if a Web developer doesn't stay up to date they are doing their clients a disservice. . .:wink:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Didn't they say Blackberry 10 browser launched WITH flash?

It does, but it won't be updated so any security issues will remain unpatched due to Adobe killing off Flash Mobile.

Flash Mobile is dead, it's never coming back and this thread should be closed before it goes any further!!

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
There are "cloud browsers" for ios/android that let you view flash content without running flash. They don't work particularly well, but maybe better than nothing.

Long term, the issue will go away once we're all running full x86 Windows on our phones. :)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
There are "cloud browsers" for ios/android that let you view flash content without running flash. They don't work particularly well, but maybe better than nothing.

Long term, the issue will go away once we're all running full x86 Windows on our phones. :)

I think someone believes the article from that rag called The Guardian!!

We won't be running full x86 Windows on our phones, Windows Phone and Windows RT are merging, Windows RT isn't being killed off so Windows on ARM will be around for the foreseeable future. Therefore Flash won't be available for Windows Phone!!

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I think someone believes the article from that rag called The Guardian!!

We won't be running full x86 Windows on our phones, Windows Phone and Windows RT are merging, Windows RT isn't being killed off so Windows on ARM will be around for the foreseeable future. Therefore Flash won't be available for Windows Phone!!

It's not that far fetched really. WP and RT don't make any money for Microsoft. They need to try something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers