Now after some time with your WP8 phone, Are you satisfied??

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Red 8x on Verizon. I have owned a Lumia 810 and a 920. I used to have a love hate relationship with my 8x due to reboots but strangely they have just stopped. Windows phone is simply amazing to me. I am going to get another Lumia 920
Sent from Micah's Red Windows Phone 8X by HTC

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Aside from a major app setback this week, yes, I am absolutley satisfied. The OS is rough around the edges, but I expected that and it is a viable alternative to the big 2 (or 3 if you cound BB). My wife found the WP8 to be more useable than the iPhone and is totally po'd that I took the Windows phone back (another story) and that says something. She is far from married to any phone (she didn't even want a smart phone) so her opinion is pretty independent of manufacturer bias.

Michael Pfaff

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
The good: The hardware on my Lumia 822 seems solid. The OS is quick, responsive, and a real pleasure to look at. The only app I couldn't bring over from my iPhone 4 was my PNC banking app. I really like their implementation of Xbox Live and Skydrive. I think podcasts in Xbox music is a **** of a lot better than Apple's podcast app.

The bad: The "other storage" problem, the fact that this little unpatched issue has made people reset their phones to be able to install apps is unacceptable. No messaging privacy, my iPhone toast said the name of the person and "text message", my Palm Pre+ did the same thing, doesn't seem like it would be too hard to throw this in. They got rid of Zune as a desktop sync client, it just seemed unnecessary, rename Zune to Xbox Music and throw in more green if you wanted to keep the branding consistent. No way to close apps from the multitasking screen, add a red X or let you drop them off the bottom of the screen like Windows 8, they made the multitasking look a bit like WebOS but left out the satisfying way of closing apps.

I like Windows Phone, but with the negatives I listed being basic things other established players get right, I might bounce back to the iPhone in a year or so if they don't makes some decent improvements to the OS.

With Blackberry stepping up to the plate with their last shot at staying alive and Ubuntu and Firefox waiting in the wings to grab what they can, Microsoft really needs to get aggressive if they want to stay in the game

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
This is my 3rd Windows device.

- 2006 MOTO Q9c "WM5.0"
- 2009 LG IQ GW825 "WM6.5"
- 2012 Samsung ATIV S "WP8"

I love my new ATIV S Windows Phone 8 😎 So buttery smooth!

It only get's better with every new update.....can't wait to see what they are doing with WP8.1 ? 6 week's from now! 😎

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Great and smooth interface, too many basic features missing, too many bugs. A wonderful but totally useless OS. My last WP.

Last edited:

Jojogill

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm liking everything about WP 8. What I want now is the ability to set the white or black background to an actual picture. Its too plain.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Youd need continous wallpapers for that, seeing as how the start screen just changes vertically as you add/subtract more tiles.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
This is my 3rd Windows device.

- 2006 MOTO Q9c "WM5.0"
- 2009 LG IQ GW825 "WM6.5"
- 2012 Samsung ATIV S "WP8"

I love my new ATIV S Windows Phone 8 😎 So buttery smooth!

It only get's better with every new update.....can't wait to see what they are doing with WP8.1 ? 6 week's from now! 😎

6 weeks from now ?? Really? That would be great, I can see a notification center on the way...

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Nokia 822 love it, I will never look back WP8 is awesome has a few bugs to work out but it will happen some time soon..
Till then just don't give up

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes. There's no other phone currently on the market I would take over my 920.

There are naturally obvious downsides and shortcomings, but every phone does and to me they arn't of the caliber that would make me even consider anything else at this time.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I do love WP8... I have a Nokia 822. Because I'm a mobile admin at work and we currently use Good Mobile Messaging, my 822 is not yet my daily driver. I'm using mostly my Galaxy S3 since I feel I need to use Good like my customers are. We are also evaulating/configuring Exchange ActiveSync to lessen our need for Good so that will allow me to do the switch. Even though I'm using my GS3 90% of the time, I still spend 90% of my forum time here since WP is still where my love is.

anon(5327037)

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I went through this same experiment when WP7 came out. Great phone but in my opinion there is little depth once you get past the sexy OS. This time around I started with a 920, then downsized to an 820 and kept that for 2 months. Happy to say goodbye and get back to a phone with much better capabilities and ecosystem.

Pros:
  • Awesome UI
  • Fast
  • Email App
  • Office
  • Good sms handling of emoji and images
  • The british chick's voice on Nokia Drive ;)

Cons:
  • Too many apps that are important to me do not exist (or in some cases there are crappy alternatives). The "top 50" or whatever doesn't really apply to me.
  • Multitasking has gaps. Due to the backgrounding capabilities, sometimes I want to close apps that are open. That is a royal PITA
  • IE10 (sorry, I know IE10 is fast but most sites out there are optimized for webkit)
  • No support for true 3rd party browsers that are not based on IE
  • No Google support (Again, sorry but google maps is the bomb and I did not like the youtube options...no not even the mighty metrotube).
  • Funkiness...like everytime I launch skydrive and play an mp3 it says "Not supported"...but if I exit and relaunch it works fine
  • Some functionality missing that I miss such as copy/paste pics, animated gifs in SMS and location based reminders
  • 2-3 sudden reboots a day
  • Had to pack a charger with me (battery life not so hot)
  • No hardware that truly fit my hardware preference (light, fast hardware, excellent display, plenty of storage). Before you suggest 8X, I couldn't stand the colors available.
  • No wireless music sync that I know of.
  • No earbuds with volume control (I don't like inner-ear phones)

Nothing personal. I'm not somebody who bashes phones or pledges some silly allegance to a product line. I think microsoft, google and apple all have really awesome products these days. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Korfuntu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I love my Lumia 920. My battery life is NOT an issue, and I wonder if those folks who have battery problems are not suffering from application battery issues rather than anything specific with the OS.

I don't let every app have live tiles, and I have been prudent about installing a bunch of apps, just because they catch my eye. I've already installed apps and then deleted them when I found I rarely, if ever, looked at them.

Let's face it, folks...It can be just as easy to load up your phone with marginally-useful, resource-hogging apps as it is to load up your desktop PC with the same kind of dreck.

We should be sure we're trying to solve the right problem, and not jumping to the wrong conclusions about the cause for some of the issues discussed. The fact that some of us are having great experiences on our phones, while others are having lots of problems with exactly the same device should be a warning sign for all of us. Let's track down the real culprits.

anon(5327037)

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I love my Lumia 920. My battery life is NOT an issue, and I wonder if those folks who have battery problems are not suffering from application battery issues rather than anything specific with the OS.

I don't let every app have live tiles, and I have been prudent about installing a bunch of apps, just because they catch my eye. I've already installed apps and then deleted them when I found I rarely, if ever, looked at them.

Let's face it, folks...It can be just as easy to load up your phone with marginally-useful, resource-hogging apps as it is to load up your desktop PC with the same kind of dreck.

We should be sure we're trying to solve the right problem, and not jumping to the wrong conclusions about the cause for some of the issues discussed. The fact that some of us are having great experiences on our phones, while others are having lots of problems with exactly the same device should be a warning sign for all of us. Let's track down the real culprits.

I was able to squeeze maybe an extra hour of battery by removing the two live tile apps I enjoyed (WP Central and Weather Flow). I carefully managed what was allowed background access, always removed apps I didn't use and closed apps when finished. I'm not an idiot and I had what I consider poor battery life. I have to wonder what you consider "good" battery life? I get up at 4:15am and am in bed by 10pm and I don't expect to charge until bedtime. The phone I left and returned to had no problems with that. To be fair, I can't speak for the 920. The 820 has a smaller battery.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is the first thread here to which I've paid any attention in several weeks. Instead of trying to address problems, let's try to stay on-topic as to whether WP8 users are satisfied or not, and why. Address problems in other threads. :)

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I was able to squeeze maybe an extra hour of battery by removing the two live tile apps I enjoyed (WP Central and Weather Flow). I carefully managed what was allowed background access, always removed apps I didn't use and closed apps when finished. I'm not an idiot and I had what I consider poor battery life. I have to wonder what you consider "good" battery life? I get up at 4:15am and am in bed by 10pm and I don't expect to charge until bedtime. The phone I left and returned to had no problems with that. To be fair, I can't speak for the 920. The 820 has a smaller battery.
got a big problem with battery life in the few early days buy with some battery cycles I THOUGHT it gone better until I compared it to my friend's. He can easily go through the day with a single night charge while I was struggling to save my battery for emails and calls.
Asked the guys here in the forums and got a lot of good tips... And now after doing them in finally happy with battery life, actually I'm not feeling that I made a mistake anymore :)

1- Skype, whatsapp, IM+ and CNN are battery killers... I'm using kik instead whatsapp.
2- turn off Xbox sync if you don't really need it.
3- and u probably know that , but, email syncing takes alot of battery ... Try maximizing the refresh periods.. I have to accounts, made one manually.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes very happy! Have had my 8x for about a month and I'm totally in love with it!!! thats saying a lot coming from a 20 year old college girl getting shoved apple and instagram everywhere I go :p
*unfazed*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo