3 months later - WHERE ARE THE BIG APPS??

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
It's been three months since Microsoft's WP8 announcement, where they promised us all of the top apps from iOS and Android. My question is where are they now???

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the main reasons I traded my 920 for a 4s. Outside of the bugs with WP8 and things still missing, Microsoft just hasn't (at least to me) demonstrated that they are serious about competing in the mobile space. They delivered countless broken promises to get people to trust the platform again, after shafting 7.X users with no update.I hate iOS (and Apple for that matter), but at least Apple delivers on their promises and shows dedication to their OS instead of making everything work for OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS before dedicating hard work to their own products.

Those big name apps from big name companies matter. Just because they don't matter to techy people, or windows phone fans, doesn't mean it will slide with an average consumer. Microsoft cant assume they'll keep ppl on a string of broken promises that don't materialize, believing they have enough dedicated fans to survive in the mobile OS race .I'm waiting for Microsoft to get it together before I come back, but as it stands, Microsoft is treating Windows Phone like a side pet project.

jsk0703

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you're seeing a lack of effort on Microsoft's part. They can only do so much to lure developers. Ultimately it's up to the app owner to make it happen.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
It's less that I need the apps and more that I want them to deliver promptly on the things they announce. And yes, MS can only do so much, but it looks like BB10 has been doing a lot more in terms of courting app developers.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you're seeing a lack of effort on Microsoft's part. They can only do so much to lure developers. Ultimately it's up to the app owner to make it happen.

Exactly .. but Ms should really work with the developers and push the app owners to make the WP version. That's a part of the system.
Even their own apps aren't working well . Athh**&%*$** SKYPE &%**$*#
Don't get me wrong, I Love WP. But its that I can't find some of the basics here .. My friends would laugh at me when they know I can't have viber calls on a 2013 phone.

sharpinator

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My HTC One S broke about 4 weeks ago and I've been using my 8x for those 4 weeks as my daily driver but I got my One S back yesterday and I've got to say how I've missed android! I forgot how much I love it, my 8x has gone straight back into the draw and I'm really struggling to sell it! One went for ?250 on ebay today and that's ridiculous considering it was 2 weeks old and they cost over ?100 brand new. Windows phones are still regarded as bottom of the pile considering they price drop in just 2 months! Getting back to what I was saying though, I think it's ridiculous how they still don't have the big apps and it's really hurting the platform. All the people that say they love windows phone as it is and they don't care can keep the os lol you'll be the ones sitting there with a toy and not a "real phone" The 8x has a beautiful design and HD screen but yet my One S with an samoled pentile qhd display is back to being my main driver purely because of android. Notification light when I get messages, temple run, instagram, twitter app just as good as the desktop site, facebook app with as many features as the desktop site. It's just a shame that wp hasn't grown yet.

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
this is killing me too. Not only are apps missing, in many cases the ones we do have just suck eggs compared to android/iOS versions.

seriously thinking about trying to swap the 920, but I think I might just suck it up and wait until the next gen of phones hits this fall. iPhone 5S might be too good to pass up...

sharpinator

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd do it as soon as possible or you can risk it and hope that windows phone 8 improves. The longer this goes on for the quicker the value will decrease

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
i find it funny that people blame developers, ms just doesnt make any reasons for ppl to build apps for there halfbaked platform, wp8 has nothing going for it. sure its different but there going to be more different oses in the future aka bb10.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
there is obviously a lack of efforts oj Microsoft's part, just look at their weather app, their reader app, their Xbox smartglass.....

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
there is obviously a lack of efforts oj Microsoft's part, just look at their weather app, their reader app, their Xbox smartglass.....

Look at their Facebook app and Skype too. We waited with WP7 for basic features to be released to the Facebook app, yet we're in febuary and we're still waiting.

I see WP failing again. What was the point if they were not serious about it?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a bash thread to me. Honestly I wish the third party development was much better but natively this 8x trumps my galaxy s3, my iPhone 5 and my Droid DNA.

Do I miss being able to use instagram when I feel like it. Sure. Do I miss certain games? Definitely.

But as restrictive as apple is with their is....more so than Microsoft with windows phone 8 and then having to wait 6 or months for my android manufacturer to decide to update my phone or not....i make a choice.

Do I choose a less restrictive but still secure OS that shall provide me quicker updates and the native os is better to me than android or ios....or do I choose an os because it has a silly game I like or a silly picture app.

Microsoft and windows phone can improve their third party apps a lot easier than android can fix lag(quad core processors don't help) and for that fact alone this os is not half-baked to me and I can certainly wait for these apps to come.

tavisdunn

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Though I'm not happy about the current app situation, I do feel like the future looks bright.

Window 8 slowly but surely is going to expand the user base. While devs may not be impressed with current WP8 numbers, they will eventually feel the need to create metro apps for the desktop/laptop users running windows 8. The nice thing about windows 8 runtime environment is a lot of the code is portable. Meaning compatible between windows 8, windows 8rt and windows phone 8. So the popularity of one of those platforms brings potential benefits to all of them.

IMHO a brilliant move on Microsoft's part. Still doesn't make waiting any easier...but more apps are coming.

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the main reasons I traded my 920 for a 4s. Outside of the bugs with WP8 and things still missing, Microsoft just hasn't (at least to me) demonstrated that they are serious about competing in the mobile space. They delivered countless broken promises to get people to trust the platform again, after shafting 7.X users with no update.I hate iOS (and Apple for that matter), but at least Apple delivers on their promises and shows dedication to their OS instead of making everything work for OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS before dedicating hard work to their own products.

Those big name apps from big name companies matter. Just because they don't matter to techy people, or windows phone fans, doesn't mean it will slide with an average consumer. Microsoft cant assume they'll keep ppl on a string of broken promises that don't materialize, believing they have enough dedicated fans to survive in the mobile OS race .I'm waiting for Microsoft to get it together before I come back, but as it stands, Microsoft is treating Windows Phone like a side pet project.
I came from 4s to 920 and I don't want to switch back. 920 is so much better than the simple and plain 4s. Perhaps, im just a more techy guy than you are. :/
Sent from my Lumia920 using Board Express

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Drive was a big deal and it got released. That is huge to me as far as apps go. I know it is in beta, but at least they are trying. It's going to take some time to get up to speed on apps. The WP8 still needs to catch on. It just takes time. I think by the end of the year, we are going to see some vast steps forward with WP8. They are advertising like crazy on TV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)