3 months later - WHERE ARE THE BIG APPS??

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Im still waiting on Pandora, the updates to Angry Birds Star Wars and for Skype to actually work without causing 8x to reboot

celikkoseoglu

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
-Facebook, twitter and Skype apps are crap
-They promised a lot of games but only Disney games became available
-Even the Skydrive app is buggy. It stops working if you try to upload multiple files

-Some countries still don't have the portico update

I don't want to switch back to other platforms but even Microsoft doesn't support the platform. Skype for iOS or Android is way better than the Windows Phone version

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
This year will be make or break for Microsoft and windows phone. They need to get WP8.1 out the door and fix all the missing features. Im not too bothered about app count but when wp consistently has the worst version then its a big problem. Unfortunately the only thing that will fix this is market share which will force devs to pay more attention to wp apps.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
but this begs the question: why settle for this pseudo android hodgepodge when you can get a real android device (and up to date, to boot!) for the same price? The moment bb10 decided to shape itself like Android while running emulated Android apps, they already lost the "differentiation wars".

Ps: quote != thanks, damn this wpcentral app :/

Because 90% of the users who buy smart phones are not us. They dont check fourms who has the better phone, they dont chat with others about phones, they walk into a store because they want or need a new smartphone. Hey a new blackberry, I have not had one in years, let me try it, oh, it has they **** app that my brother talked about, cool, I'll try it. Most cases they get a phone based on what the sales rep tells them is good.

Most people dont care, they dont care as long as it works. Blackberry's big claim here is their name and it's what they are counting on, People had one for work, they look at new phones, it's a name they know and they have the apps they want, Hmmmm....

Older Android apps or newer ones, do the big non media titles get updates for older versions of Android, I am sure, so they will work....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The big apps are coming. It'll take a little time for developers to get their arms around this NEW OS and once they do, you'll see them.

Saiyaku

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey a new blackberry, I have not had one in years, let me try it, oh, it has they **** app that my brother talked about, cool, I'll try it.

more realistically it would be "hey, a blackberry, are they still making these things?" :D

or more to the point, you as a prospective buyer walk towards the cell phone aisle and notice that ios is not like WP who is not like android who is not like bla... hey, is this thing running android?

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Had to replace my 920 (creaking top and resetting all the time). Since then SOLID. Not planning to go anywhere - I agree with everyone out there. MS should have just NOT promised the big apps - set the expectations lower. They could learn a lot from NOKIA. They push for their customers to have the best of what matters. Thanks NOKIA!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
more realistically it would be "hey, a blackberry, are they still making these things?" :D

or more to the point, you as a prospective buyer walk towards the cell phone aisle and notice that ios is not like WP who is not like android who is not like bla... hey, is this thing running android?

I hear ya but, If you walk into a store and need to buy say a...TV. When you look at the brands, It's a 95% chance that you would pick up a brand you have heard of or used before and would question off brands. This has been proven before. It's just human nature.

I make that statement because, most customers do not care, will the device work for me ? Will it do what I need ? Is it a little different than what everyone else has(iSheep or fandriods do not ask this question) ? Right now that is Black Berry and Windows Phone, Blackberry has instagram or XXXX app, WP does not. What would a non teche look at ?

The emulation thing for BB is something people should worry about because to the end user....BB has this, WP does not...It does not matter on how they get it, they have access to it on their phone.

I guess on this side people could say....Hey, I use Windows at work, I must have this phone :)

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Just when you thought the sh** can't get any worse, BlackBerry picks it up on puts it in a blender. This is the android app running in emulation in BB10.

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping that MSFT is not only waiting for MWC to announce WP8.1 but to announce that Pandora, Instagram, Temple Run, and an official FB app are now available. MWC would be a good platform to announce these things instead of letting the apps trickle out one by one.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I went from WP7 to Android and now WP8 and I don't miss any apps I had on Android. Apps are cool but its all about the core experience to me.

And that's totally cool! Seriously. I am the same way but we want this platform to explode! Can't do that when most people like apps though :(

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yep, a converted Android app....gota worry now...

Not sure if it is a port or not but at least it is there. My fiance loves my phone yet I had to honestly tell her that instagram wasn't on there and couldn't recommend her getting a 920 because it didn't allow HER to do what SHE wanted. Not you DavidinCT, but her. Do you think you can wrap your mind around the fact that not everyone is like you and wants the same things as you? It's there and it is functional. It is not Lomogram or any other of the knockoffs that have no users except for WP8 users.

Portsider

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I'm on board totally with WP8 and the Lumia 920. I believe that the potential is in place for great things from the platform. I do believe that its rise will be more of a marathon instead of a sprint. With that being said, I've been an Android guy from the start. and I do believe that Sammys GS3 (which I owned before the NL920), is, quite simply, the finest high end smartphone on the market, bar none. And mine was rooted and running CM10 as well. I'll never have another android device that is not rooted. It's fairly easy to do, and it puts the device on another level, entirely, over any other device. But with that being said, I'm absolutely loving everything about WP8 and the Lumia 920. I think we have a winner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers