3 months later - WHERE ARE THE BIG APPS??

iN8ter

Banned
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
creating with an iPad...seriously?

Yes, a lot of coaches here use iPads for on the spot quick video editing and video Analysis using apps like Coach's Eye and whatnot. Apps which are no where to be found on Windows Phone nor are there any worthy alternatives. For that reason, most skaters and coaches that I know have either iOS or Android devices. The video quality of a L920 ceases to matter if working with it on device is a complete hassle. iPhones and iPads (and Android devices for that matter) do not have those issues.

An iPad will always be better than a smartphone for consuming media - especially video - just by virtue of its more advantageous form factor. And Surface RT simply cannot compete with the iPad right now because of lackluster App Support (clearly visible if you have a Windows 8 machine, as it can run almost all of the same apps).

iN8ter

Banned
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
01 Microsoft Office is one huge advantage over IOS, hopefully Microsoft will stop saving Apple and discontinue office apps for mac, so Adobe should do after the way Apple spit on them with flash integration, telling that their are ******ed and Apple doesn't give a **** about them, hopefully CS7 will not arrive on Mac.
02 Maps, Nokia maps with Drive and Transit offline, off gps...
03 Devices full featuring all kind of conectors, USB 3.0, hdmi, etc...
04 Really good devices at reasonable prices, and diversity, not as much as Android wich rocks in diversity.
few reasons maybe but strong ones for some of us.
Apple is kept alive by Google Adobe and Microsoft, without MS Office, Google maps and apps, and Adobe design Suite, there is NO Apple, sorry. So why should anybody actually buy an Apple product ? because it sits nicely on the table when you are in a fancy restaurant, 95% of apple user don't know anything about their products, it is just fancy to be Apple user, great aura.

None of this makes any sense.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Lol, Adobe not on Macs? Yaaaa right.

Most designers that are heavy CS users are also big Apple fans. As a designer, I constantly find myself in the minority as a Windows user. I don't think Adobe would be that stupid.

iN8ter

Banned
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I noticed a bit of Instagram bashing. I don't think people understand what Instagram is.

Not having an Instagram app is like not having Twitter on your platform. It's a huge blow. It's a Social Network. A lot of people don't even use the Filters in Instagram. It's basically a Photogenic Twitter-like service where you can Like Photos, comment, reply to and mention people, etc.

Not having it is a huge blow. Atheletes and Celebrities are on IG. Businesses are on IG. It is a big deal. Even if you never post a picture to IG, it is still useful - just like Twitter or Facebook (or Google+ as well) - for keeping up to the minute on things.

I wish Microsoft had developed a [Shared] Photo Stream-type Service for Windows Phone/Windows 8...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a bit of Instagram bashing. I don't think people understand what Instagram is.

Not having an Instagram app is like not having Twitter on your platform. It's a huge blow. It's a Social Network. A lot of people don't even use the Filters in Instagram. It's basically a Photogenic Twitter-like service where you can Like Photos, comment, reply to and mention people, etc.

Not having it is a huge blow. Atheletes and Celebrities are on IG. Businesses are on IG. It is a big deal. Even if you never post a picture to IG, it is still useful - just like Twitter or Facebook (or Google+ as well) - for keeping up to the minute on things.

I wish Microsoft had developed a [Shared] Photo Stream-type Service for Windows Phone/Windows 8...

Oh **** instagram! We don't even have Pinterest and wait till people start talking about that. Even Microsoft and Nokia are on Pinterest showing off with so many offers!

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The market in Canada is different. Apple has majority smartphone share in the US, with Android a not so distant second, followed by Blackberry and they have like twice the market share (or more) that WP8 has. Windows Phones have terrible resale value. Below that of the average Android phone and a lot has to do with the fact that the ecosystem and app support simply isn't on the level of iOS and Android. In some cases, even Microsoft gives better support to iOS than their own platform. Still waiting on Photosynth?

Another thing that has to be considered is order that devs port their apps. iOS is first for a majority of apps, followed by Android and then anything after that is given consideration, but not made a priority - due to the combined market share of the top two. Some people don't like getting an app late; they want it when all their friends get it, too... You can see this pattern in major 1st party apps as well.

Going with WP for a lot of people isn't just a question of Poor App Selection. It's also a question of Poor App Support, Inflated App Prices, and Significantly Lag compared to other platforms in App Introductions.

App Count means nothing anymore. It's all about Quality, Support, and the Speed at which new, great apps are introduced to your platform. Windows Phone lags iOS and Android in all those areas and given their lead now, it's not going to change in the near future. Getting today's top apps doesn't matter if tomorrow top apps are going to take forever to trickle down to this platform. That's a concern that simply doesn't exist on (especially) iOS or Android.

Well stated, and I also wanted to add that when you're on a smaller platform any apps that you do get aren't always maintained either for updates and improvements. Some mainly ios and android devs will throw a wp8 app on the store and then just leave it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

That would have been pointless; Fhotoroom and EyeEm already exist on WP8 to fill the gap left by the lack of Instagram. They're both good apps and Fhotoroom just got finished with a whole bunch of back-end upgrades to make the service better. However, people don't want an Instagram-like service or app, regardless of how good they are... they want Instagram.

rockstarzzz said:
Oh **** instagram!

You may not like, want, or use Instagram, but if you want WP to succeed that's a really poor attitude to have. WP *needs* Instagram if it wants to succeed, period. There are too many people who won't even consider a given phone if it doesn't have Instagram.to say "**** instagram".

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
This.

I don't like the pretentiousness that's coming from the Windows Phone fanboys. I am a ****** too, but I see the bigger picture! Why are delusional fanboys so apprehensive to the Instagram idea? Aren't you the same people who are rooting for WP8 to succeed?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Discovered a new app today on Android - Quora. Though still in its nascent stage, looks promising. At least get the older ones MS...common. Bill..are u listening to me...We NEED apps OK. N E E D.

Sent from my DROID RaZr on JB.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
What do people think about partial integration of popular social networks through the People Hub? Maybe it wouldn't have full functionality but having some access to Instagram and Vine would be awesome.

uswebworx

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Had mine (920) one week and I don't miss IOS at all. I barely use my new iPad mini that was a Christmas present.
With that I'm not saying I love my Nokia either but dislike android so what other choices are there?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What do people think about partial integration of popular social networks through the People Hub? Maybe it wouldn't have full functionality but having some access to Instagram and Vine would be awesome.

Umm, that's what the People hub is all about. That's why currently you can use it for Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

gdsaar

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My biggest point of contention is far from much needed apps such as Instagram; instead, it is toward promised apps, particularly Pandora and Temple Run. When Microsoft first announced Windows Phone 8 at their press event, they made announcements regarding the availability of these apps, which when such is made, the public/customers hold the company to. And rightly so. Don't claim if you can't keep your end of the bargain. I don't mind waiting, as clearly anyone who is truly invested in this platform and ecosystem's success needs to be. However, when there are no announcements, no updates on progress, on Microsoft's nor the developers parts themselves (I've checked/contacted Pandora and Imangi Studios of Temple Run fame) and show no any indication that such promises are being held, one starts to doubt the integrity of the companies' focus and value on the consumer. If these apps are not or will not be coming soon, at least the decency of Microsoft or their public relations department should be to not keep us waiting in limbo without any news regarding the situation. Have a setback with the developers? Tell. Us. App coming in a month instead of a vague "early 2013"? Tell us!

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky, you could have a Blackberry Playbook and be waiting Years for promised apps!! I'm sure Microsoft will deliver, just takes a little time and Devs to come around. Playbook and BB10 still doesn't have Netflix! We do!
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Look at their Facebook app and Skype too. We waited with WP7 for basic features to be released to the Facebook app, yet we're in febuary and we're still waiting.

I see WP failing again. What was the point if they were not serious about it?

The biggest offender is the yelp app. The app doesn't work and you can't remedy the situation by going on the mobile site either since IE keeps on kicking you to the full desktop "experience" that is unreadable.

Also it isn't so much the lack of apps as much as the lack of quality apps that are optimized or working properly with WP8....

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Truly - if you want a smooth OS and variety in hardware with good technology and a lot of base apps baked right in go for WP8. But if we are all being honest - if you want apps - go with the iPhone. IPhone obviously has ALL of the big apps (even wordament, Skype and photosynth), but look at the convenience ones, like for Disney, your local TV station, CNBC, any magazine you pick up - they all have an iPhone app - none carry WP8 apps.
I'm a proud owner of a 920, had my wife get a HD7 when it came out years ago, finally gonna get her an iPhone because of the continued lack if app support. She needs some basic ines for her job and wants the new Disney fastpass app.
I plan to stick with Nokia and cherish what i like best (Office, baked in functions and functionality of home screen) and I'll keep saying - maybe next year we can have all of the mainstream apps

Last edited:

jdriscoll636

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you this they aren't coming any time soon. Now I'm basing this off my personal experience with Android, but we are a year to 2 years away from getting all the top apps. When Android first started off, it was in the same boat. It had app, but not a lot of good ones. The time gingerbread rolled around, was the time Android started getting good apps. So we just need to wait a little bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa