How to back up contacts and apps?

WoWNyx

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi I'm using a Lumia 920.
I'm new to windows phone. Can some one kindly explain to me how i can back up all my contacts,apps, messages and arrangement of my tiles?

My contacts are multi linked from hotmail Facebook and Gmail.

Thanks!

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is no need to. The phone by default will back up all your contacts, apps, messages, and most settings into the Cloud. The only thing it doesn't really back up is the arrangement of your tiles.

If you were to reset your phone, and then connect it again with your Hotmail account, everything will automatically restore as well (again, excepting the tile arrangement).

What I do to back up my tile arrangement is take screenshots, and save them to my SkyDrive.

WoWNyx

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Ohh so once my hotmail account is reconnected all my messages and apps will be downloaded instantaneously with out me going inti the app store to download them 1 at a time like Android ?

Well Microsoft MUST develop some way For users to back up their tile arrangement! The sole of the OS is based on the tiles and each tile is different on everyone phone!

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ohh so once my hotmail account is reconnected all my messages and apps will be downloaded instantaneously with out me going inti the app store to download them 1 at a time like Android ?
Exactly. But the Apps will sometimes make me wait till I connect to a WiFi network to do so. Part of the data management thing it's got going on.

Well Microsoft MUST develop some way For users to back up their tile arrangement! The sole of the OS is based on the tiles and each tile is different on everyone phone!
I used to think like this... But every time I go in to arrange them, I never do it quite the same way, and always like it better than the last!

WoWNyx

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Its good that you have to wait for a WiFi connection. Else your data will go off the chart hahaha!!
Anyways
Thanks man! For answering my questions

pankajwanikar

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey Hi,

Is there any way by which, I can ensure that my Data as you mentioned has been backed Up completely on cloud.... So that Without any worries I can go ahead and Reset My Phone, Which I need to do Badly .............

Being Overtly cautious here..Coz Data Matters!!! :smile:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Before you reset, verify your messaging is set for backups, sync your email accounts, make sure your photos are going to skydrive, then force a backup (please say that you are using a Microsoft account, if not you're stuffed)

Messaging backup:
Settings (system), messaging, Test message backup = on

Email sync:
Settings (system), email+accounts, press and hold on each account, sync

Photos to Skype:
Settings (system), backup, photos, Photos = Best quality (needs Wi-Fi) and Videos = Best quality (needs Wi-Fi)
Verify via a PC that your photos are on your Skydrive.

Then:
Settings (system), backup, app list+settings, backup up now.

NOW you can reset your phone. When you reset you WILL need to have your sim card in, and you will have some cellular data usage. As soon as you can after the reset, turn on WiFi to minimize cellular data usage. The phone will re-download all your apps that you had on your phone (but you will loose any app specific settings, game level completion, etc.) in the Store app.

Now with a Nokia phone, you will end up with a bunch of Nokia specific apps that will error out (press and hold for cancel). For those you can either wait for them to eventually show up in the Store app as updates (can take a day or so for this), or you can go find them in the store and select update.

In the end your phone will be darn close to what it was prior to the reset.

wayne310

May 13, 2013
Visit site
most users change their tile arrangement daily depending on the current day or week's agenda.

for example today i had some meetings to calendar was on top.

weekend while heading to friends place to drink..music and pic apps were on top for easy access to music.

etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb