"Why Windows Phone 8 is strictly mediocre and why Microsoft should be worried."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
+1000 my friend. From lg optimus 7 i went to lumia 800 then htc titan and before 2 weeks I bought lumia 820. Absolutely fabulous device. But the lack of some apps as the absence of data counter made me switch to android. I ll wait to see what the future ii bring to windows phones.:cool:

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
listen there a reason so many ppl complain, for one they've come from other platform aren't satisfied that cool at least you gave it a try. Others are concerned (like myself) because we see this operating system's potential and we aren't blind to see the os needs alot of work. i like my phone ive lived with these gripes since day one and now after many updates i just want the os to feel compete as other OS's do. Even Wpcentral had complaining to do. Alot of this is coming up because blackberry alot is because ppl are just tired of the little thing that are missing that seem reallllyyy easy to fix/add with updates. Now that we have powerful hardware we need the software to back it up!

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, don't mind the morons. The article you linked to was spot on. I think it was one of the comments on that article that said they felt like MS lost a year by deciding to move to the NT kernel (not that it wasn't needed ultimately).

And while I'm happy with Windows Phone overall, I'm sort of astounded at the amount of tiny things they didn't change and, in a couple cases, went backwards. No orientation lock, no separate ring volumes, calendar is completely unchanged with no week view, xbox videos can't be purchased on device, can't even be played on device, no built-in turn by turn navigation, no IE favorites or tabs syncing... I was also glad to see the article mention the almost total lack of synergy between Windows 8 and WP8.

I love Windows Phone and have no intention of switching to anything else, but man it's depressing that our OS of choice is STILL playing catch up to its competitors.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The kernel has a lot of potential.. all they need is a bit more powerful hardware and better batteries. Of course, further optimization of the system is essential as well. The switch from CE to NT was essential for Microsoft.. and I think so far its gone relatively smooth.. considering that WP8 is technically 1.0 software .. its not bad at all.

The rest is just cosmetic UX stuff that can be fixed.

They have the "frame" in place.. solid cloud based services, voip, advertising platforms.. gaming should get better as well.. it will be fine :)

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
WP8 does have quiet a few silly niggles, such as no quick way to enable/disable airplane mode. It also needs some form of folder system as the menu can start to get stupidly long.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
There are definitely some silly little things that Microsoft need to look at. First, as mentioned is the seriously long menu or app list. A drop-down folder should be owkey I guess. Second, is separate volume controls for media and ringing tone. I always set my ringing tone to 25 and above and it will stay like it. As I enter the media and play some musics, it will go BOOM! Microsoft needs to have a look at this, don't know for how long already this thing is. Third, is a more efficient multitasking. User should be able to completely kill the app directly from the multitask screen (an 'X' button) instead of having to go into the app and press the back button repeatedly to kill it. I know those apps go dormant when not in use but I just feel much more comfortable just by killing it. Haha! Finally, a universal search feature which is, well, missing in WP8 and I think so in WP7. I need to search for contacts, calendar, and documents quickly so a phone search is pretty much needed.

While there are some that you know, just being picky but those stuff are pretty much very needed so I really hope Microsoft will really consider to eliminate those problems immediately because it has taken so long that some of them are carried over from WP7. Whatever the complaints, Windows Phone is still my favourite OS and will never consider moving to Android or iOS. I'm giving them my love, now Microsoft, reply back my love to you =P

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
IMO the two main things Microsoft needs to fix are:
A) More of the must-have apps
B) XBOX Music both on the phone and desktop

If they can do that, then they will be fine IMO.

jonchai

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree with what's mentioned in the article. Many may think "oh, it's not needed" or "oh, it's still new, give it time". Well, we've given Microsoft 3 years only to see them dragging at their feet. Moving Kernel is not a valid excuse. It's pretty lame and shows how incompetent Microsoft really is. Heck, BB10 came out with even more features than WP's 3 years combined and that really shows how "visionary" Ballmer really is.

I'm (along with many others) giving Microsoft one last chance, next update better makes it right. Otherwise, it's time to say goodbye.

spampy2

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Completely agree with that article and have been on the OS since day one. I've owned Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus flash, Focus S, Nokia 800, 900, and now 920 and I still have the same complaints I've had for almost 2 years. It's almost time to say bye for good and yes I'm typing from an i5 as its my weekend phone because of the shortcomings of my 920.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue is people are caring too much about a company that doesn't really care about them. Nokia seems to put up its efforts, but MSFT as a whole doesn't seem to care. It's like MSFT has other things to worry about than its mobile division, remember they let Windows Mobile drag too long before they finally came out with Windows 7 which was 3+ years behind the competition of iOS and Android. You either ride this bumpy ride with MSFT, or you get out the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett