Google/Mail App Insanely High Data Usage

MaFalut

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had my HTC 8x for a couple months now and noticed my data usage was much higher than when I had android, but I never really checked the Data Sense app since I receive text messages when I'm close to going over my limit. I saw that this month the usage was extremely high so I checked the app and I found this

6nwo6g.png

After seeing this I changed the Mail app to manual sync and to sync email only. But the question remains, why does it use so much data? I get maybe 10 emails a week. It's eating up my already small data plan.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Massive attachments? A constant state of syncing? What's your battery life like? That's pretty crazy in any event.

I have yet to crack 500 mb a month, but when I'm either at work or home I switch to wifi.

MaFalut

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Constant state of syncing perhaps (which is why I turned it to manual), but the emails I get are basically all newsletters.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Constant state of syncing perhaps (which is why I turned it to manual), but the emails I get are basically all newsletters.

Open google mail application > settings> sync settings > Download new content> do u have it every 15mins? if so thats why its loading ur gmail emails and is eating ur data usage

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
That's crazy. I have a Google account and sync three Google calendars, Google Contacts and an email account with two emails. In the last 30 days, I have used 7mb on cellular and 15mb on wireless!! And my email syncs as mail arrives.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
That's crazy. I have a Google account and sync three Google calendars, Google Contacts and an email account with two emails. In the last 30 days, I have used 7mb on cellular and 15mb on wireless!! And my email syncs as mail arrives.

No its not crazy, if it was Gmail, or outlook or any email, as long as your device has to connect to the internet to download your content"often" it will for sure eat lots of MB

MaFalut

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
My data usage reset today and I have it set to manual update on emails, I'll see how that goes and update the thread if there is any progress.

r4v

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No its not crazy, if it was Gmail, or outlook or any email, as long as your device has to connect to the internet to download your content"often" it will for sure eat lots of MB

No, it wouldn't. It's only syncing changes, not everything every single time. I guess it has to be some bug in data sense or something's very wrong with email client.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
My Google Apps account has only used like 2mb of cellular and 15mb on wifi, and I'm over halfway through my billing cycle. I wonder if you are having an issue like skype was having with it not being able to complete the sync. Have you tried to delete the account from the phone and then add it again.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
No, it wouldn't. It's only syncing changes, not everything every single time. I guess it has to be some bug in data sense or something's very wrong with email client.

I did not say google will download all ur content everytime! I said google will download all your new contents at the time you set it! No im not sure if its a bug! People with this issue should try to make sync for 1 hr or more and check there usage and then after that we can talk about bugs! But the question is, how often do they get emails a day? Sync will always checks your gmail account for new content and then push the new emails or content to the user!

MaFalut

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

It's not just data sense, the same data usage was apparent on my bill.

MaFalut

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I did not say google will download all ur content everytime! I said google will download all your new contents at the time you set it! No im not sure if its a bug! People with this issue should try to make sync for 1 hr or more and check there usage and then after that we can talk about bugs! But the question is, how often do they get emails a day? Sync will always checks your gmail account for new content and then push the new emails or content to the user!

Maybe 3 emails a day. If that many.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have my gmail account and my Hotmail account. Receive several emails on a daily basis. I have a 15gb 4G limit for the month. In addition to that, normal browsing, using apps that use data. I'm almost always never connected to Wifi and I haven't even reach 14GB yet, 5 days into the month.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I have my gmail account and my Hotmail account. Receive several emails on a daily basis. I have a 15gb 4G limit for the month. In addition to that, normal browsing, using apps that use data. I'm almost always never connected to Wifi and I haven't even reach 14GB yet, 5 days into the month.

Sounds good. can you tell me for both emails what is the download new content time? is it every 15mins or more?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good. can you tell me for both emails what is the download new content time? is it every 15mins or more?

For my work emails ( we use google apps for business) I have it set to download new content as items arrive. Because, well, it's work. And Download email from "anytime". Syncing email, contacts, calendar. the server is set to m.google.com

Hotmail account I have it set to download new content every 30 minutes and download email from the last 7 days. Content to sync; Email.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
For my work emails ( we use google apps for business) I have it set to download new content as items arrive. Because, well, it's work. And Download email from "anytime". Syncing email, contacts, calendar. the server is set to m.google.com

Hotmail account I have it set to download new content every 30 minutes and download email from the last 7 days. Content to sync; Email.

I see, well thats good watch for the usage and see if increases with time! Not sure what application they used to see the statistics of total usage but if you have it installed can you show us a screen shot?

I understand that your gmail is your work mail but if you sync every 15 mins doesnt this also effect your battery, im sure it does

r4v

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe 3 emails a day. If that many.

Ok, so let's assume that your provider counts for every 10kB (mine does). Every mail check is 20kB minimum (up and down, no matter if there is email or not, it will fit in this 20kB). Let's say it's 96 times a day (check every 15 minutes). So it will be about... 56MB/month. So you see... Either it's something with the mail client, or google's doing something weird on their side. Or provider counting data for 1MB minimum, perhaps it's Orange, which usually provides random usage data out of the a.., I don't know.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I see, well thats good watch for the usage and see if increases with time! Not sure what application they used to see the statistics of total usage but if you have it installed can you show us a screen shot?

I'm not privy to this app. I've had this package since I ha my lumia in December. I've never run out of data.

jak464

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever figure this out? I posted a similar thread a month ago. It just happened again, and I've made sure that my email is synced manual and it only downloads content from the last 7 days. This time, it literally ate up 700 MB in an hour. I'm connected to WiFi whenever available, and now I only have 300 MB to spare for the next 2 weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos