IE really???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
There is also a video. The video doesn't play on my 920, yet plays on iPhone 5,4s and 4 in my house. I just see a black box
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't work on my nl920 either. Other sites I've noticed, Louis Vuitton and Chanel's pages don't work on IE, but iPhones make them work. (I'm not gay, it's just that I made my gf switch and it's one of the things she misses,that and insta-something, lol).
I don't think it's the browser's fault. I think some web develoupers make their sites optimized for certain web kits. And the guys in charge of some sites haven't bothered to update it's coding to allow for a good Windows Phone experience/viewing.

Of course this is my,very not technical understanding of the whole thing. It might be wrong... Probably is... Never mind, wait for someone else to reply :p

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe its the type of video? Some formats are probably not supported. At the moment, least.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is a very bad thing, this is a core OS shortcoming. Not only are there an app gap, but a internet explorer short coming....

Paulsalame

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow man .. take it easy on IE. It actually really performs well. On my universities website which I always use my friend tried signing up for a course on their iPhone 4 and couldn't even see the list of the courses. Then my friend tried with his galaxy nexus..failed also and then I did it flawlessly on my lumia 920 ! It happens..it's just a website..not all phones can or should work the exact same way. Even desktop browsers behave differently depending on websites.

digaos

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
If I have to choose one single drawback from switching to WP after 5+ years of iOS, I would point at the browser. I stopped using IE as my browser over 10 years ago and even though MS has made efforts to improve it in recent years, it is still behind FF, Chrome, Safari and Opera.

Wow man .. take it easy on IE. It actually really performs well. On my universities website which I always use my friend tried signing up for a course on their iPhone 4 and couldn't even see the list of the courses. Then my friend tried with his galaxy nexus..failed also and then I did it flawlessly on my lumia 920 !

This is likely due to your university website been developed using non-standard web technologies (i.e. MS centric). Check HTML 5 test results and you will see how IE lags behind all other browsers. The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
This is likely due to your university website been developed using non-standard web technologies (i.e. MS centric). Check HTML 5 test results and you will see how IE lags behind all other browsers. The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
Benchmarks always have been and always will be next to useless in real world usage. What I particularly dislike about HTML5 tests in general is they do not test the pure specification, but instead include "experimental" features that are often spearheaded as WebKit-specific implementations. The anecdote you replied to is a fine example of why benchmarks don't matter nearly as much as you think they do - because in the real world, obscure HTML5 implementations hardly make a difference.

IE can play HTML5 video, unless it's using WebM - which Safari does not support, either. If the website is improperly showing the (unsupported) Flash version over the HTML5 version, that is not due to IE's shortcomings, that is due to crappy web development. What hurts IE the most is the simple fact that it doesn't use WebKit - not because Trident is overwhelmingly inferior, but because web developers decide to arbitrarily target WebKit in name (not even due to functionality).

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This has nothing to do with IE. The top video is Flash based. WP8 DOES NOT support Flash.

Other videos on this page use HTML5 - that's why they work.
not true, before they picked the winner, there was a large black box, you could sabotage another group. IPhones don't support flash either yet they played.

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Don't ya think maybe supporting webkit too would be a good idea? I mean if I have to pick up my iPad cuz my wp8 won't do it, then why keep wp8?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't blame your 920. You would notice that it does not work in IE Metro either...

The website needs to update their shiznit.

Ushtang2

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree its not the device or IE its the site not supporting IE. Have any of you ever noticed sites looking like plain text versions of the site or not working on your WP device but work and look better on IOS and Android. I've noticed some sites having more functionality like swipe gestures and look more visually appealing when I use my IOS device, but having less functionality, dull looking, sometimes plain text pages, or being redirected to desktop versions of the site and not the mobile versions when I visit the same pages with my WP device.

I wonder if sites are coded to support the browsers on Android and IOS and their features but then have dumbed down pages with limited or no functionality that the site defaults to when other mobile OS'es visit their site. Or they have pages that just don't work for other browsers because they mainly only care about supporting browsers on Android and IOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786