15 year old vs mom and the iphone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

balzebub

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Iphones are heavily subsidized by telcos where i am from, so you actually cough up less cash upfront to buy an ip5 on contract compared to a galaxy or lumia or some other smartphone.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
why do people insist putting words in my mouth. I never said apple heads are the only ones I was merely agreeing that some iPhone users are very smug so are android users. But I live in Boston that is a iPhone city so I will obviously encounter them more.

I'm from Boston too dude and there are just as many smug Android, WP and dumbphone users as there are iPhone users.

Further, some folks in here need to move away from the overgeneralizations.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Haha, this is hilarious!

I'm a high school student and I'm trying to get some friends to get away from iPhone. I think the problem is that the majority of people (especially teenagers) don't know what's the best or what other options they have, they just make their decisions based on what's popular. They think the iPhone or the Galaxy is the best because that's what everyone else has. This is why marketing is so important. Microsoft needs to push out good ads and get them to air on a ton of channels. I'm not really sure what the situation is with WP ads beacsue my parents got rid of our tv service a while ago, but I hope Microsoft is advertising WP well. It needs to be at a point where there are as many WP ads as there are Galaxy/iPhone ads.

I was talking to my friend, and I saw her pull out her iPhone 5. So I pulled out my Lumia 920 and told her that I don't like the iPhone. She was a bit surprised and she asked, "well then what do you like?" I told her I like Windows Phone and showed her my phone. Her first impression was, you guessed it, "that's HUGE! Is that a case on it?" I told her no, that's the real size of the phone and it actually is red. I went on to show her some cool apps like cinemagraph (she really liked that!) and the home screen and camera (btw, the iPhone 5 front facing camrea is A LOT better than the L920's, unfortunately. The L920's is great when you have a good light source, but there's so much noise anytime else. Also, has anyone else noticed that when you use the ffc the picture taken is flipped?). She was impressed but then she asked if I had a snapchat or instagram... I told her no beacuse the apps aren't on Windows Phone yet. That pretty much ruined my chances of bringing her over to WP.

But anyways, tl;dr people think iPhone is the best because they don't know any better. When they go to upgrade they go into the store knowing that they want an iPhone and they don't bother to look around at what else there is. I hope this changes soon.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
saame here...

although kids at my school find my lumia 920 to be amazing...show people the live tiles and they fall in love.

people love flashy things hahaa.
Haha, this is hilarious!

I'm a high school student and I'm trying to get some friends to get away from iPhone. I think the problem is that the majority of people (especially teenagers) don't know what's the best or what other options they have, they just make their decisions based on what's popular. They think the iPhone or the Galaxy is the best because that's what everyone else has. This is why marketing is so important. Microsoft needs to push out good ads and get them to air on a ton of channels. I'm not really sure what the situation is with WP ads beacsue my parents got rid of our tv service a while ago, but I hope Microsoft is advertising WP well. It needs to be at a point where there are as many WP ads as there are Galaxy/iPhone ads.

I was talking to my friend, and I saw her pull out her iPhone 5. So I pulled out my Lumia 920 and told her that I don't like the iPhone. She was a bit surprised and she asked, "well then what do you like?" I told her I like Windows Phone and showed her my phone. Her first impression was, you guessed it, "that's HUGE! Is that a case on it?" I told her no, that's the real size of the phone and it actually is red. I went on to show her some cool apps like cinemagraph (she really liked that!) and the home screen and camera (btw, the iPhone 5 front facing camrea is A LOT better than the L920's, unfortunately. The L920's is great when you have a good light source, but there's so much noise anytime else. Also, has anyone else noticed that when you use the ffc the picture taken is flipped?). She was impressed but then she asked if I had a snapchat or instagram... I told her no beacuse the apps aren't on Windows Phone yet. That pretty much ruined my chances of bringing her over to WP.

But anyways, tl;dr people think iPhone is the best because they don't know any better. When they go to upgrade they go into the store knowing that they want an iPhone and they don't bother to look around at what else there is. I hope this changes soon.

Zinoka

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I hate Apple as a company, maybe hates too strong a word. How about a fervent dislike of anything Apple (dont even like the fruit - although thats for different reasons)
Its not entirely about the products they produce as ive owned an iphone 2, ipod touch and an ipad and they were all good at what they did. Its the inherent bullsh*t thats synonymous with the Apple brand, the obsessive skuemorphism that pervades everything they did and still do. The tax dodging, the inflated markups an all products, the self cannibalism in the range of devices they produce, the almost cult like following (go back 3 years and you cant argue with it), horror stories from manufacturing plants. I could go on but hopefully you get my point.

Why show any emotion towards it if you want to make a point about how you feel about apple and the iFad "nothing it" hating it or showing distaste for it means your emotionally invested in it and really who needs that kind of pointless stress.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Its a personal anecdote that you can get an iPhone for $99 now and they are neither special nor exclusive?
Conveniently ignoring the two other sentences quoted. Playing it dumb and putting words in people's mouths doesn't convince anyone to join your cause, reasonable discourse might. But of course, you're trying to defend an indefensible position.

I suggest you let it go.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
My general thought about this thread: I just find it hilarious that people make fun of the smug iOS user, by being even more smug about their phones or their imagined 'independence'.

I also would like to have been there to judge the situation, as I got the feeling from the beginning - and I'm almost sorry to say this -, that this 15 year old was just a cheeky smart-ass.

woodsielord

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The Apple hating **** is just so tired. You guys need to find another schtick already. Get over the fact that you weren't popular in high school and stop transfering that resentment over to iPhone users who represent the "popular kids" in your mind. Get some therapy and some closure, m'kay pumpkin?
There, you just made it a status symbol and revealed your unconscious beliefs about what the popular kids own. Now please shut up and crawl back to your hateful loneliness, sugarpie.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I will say that yes, Apple does seem to attract the "douche" type of personality which is probably a result from their marketing strategy, however I find that there are as many nice, good-natured people owning Apple products as there are douchebags. IMO this whole thing started with the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads where they essentially sh*t all over Windows and Microsoft just stood there and took it instead of defending their brand.

I doubt most people see themselves as "cool" for owning an Apple product anymore because lots of people have them. My son is about to get his first smartphone and let me tell you: he is not interested in the iPhone even though my wife and I have one.
The whole apple is build on hips culture, at least that was the case before iphone becomes everyone's phone

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The whole apple is build on hips culture, at least that was the case before iphone becomes everyone's phone

Nope. I actually got my first MacBook free as a disabled uni student on a media degree. Also got loads of software for Mac OS (some of which I still use and is frigging expensive to replace. We're talking ?500 even at student price, ?2'500 non-student price). I got it because the Mac back then was synchronous with media. I like Mac OS, and I still have those codes. Plus, it just does some things better... Remote presentation control for example. Mac/iPod: Keynote/Keynote Remote. Windows/WinPhone: What option is there...? I might also consider a 5th gen iPod Touch for the improved camera and Instagram. As it's a 5MPixel job, I can even use it in my projects, which is cool (I do a lot of photography mobile vs DSLR type stuff, wanting to expand on the project I started back at university).

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Why show any emotion towards it if you want to make a point about how you feel about apple and the iFad "nothing it" hating it or showing distaste for it means your emotionally invested in it and really who needs that kind of pointless stress.

Emotional investment against something isnt stressful, it just becomes a part of who you are. I dislike lots of things and "nothing it" just seems wrong to me your sitting by and letting things slide. Put some emotion in and things take on purpose.

"It is purpose that guides us, that drive us, purpose that defines us" (Agent Smith - Matrix Reloaded 2003)

Without emotion and therefore purpose "nothing it" makes you nothing, you have no purpose.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
This is probably just me, but let me tell you this:

I am immune to all the Apple Ads.
No, I don't hate Apple.

It's just that none of their devices run Touhou natively.
And, I can only afford a feature phone :p

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
my gf is a fair bit younger at 18, she and her female friends were all iphone-cultish, if it wasnt an iphone, it wasnt good.
I asked about the camera, and "it was the best camera", I asked why, and I got "because it's an iphone).

I since bought ,my gf a 8x, she sold her Iphone 4 and loves her 8x

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible, just maybe, that you imagined the part where the mom was being "smug"?

I hear this kind of crap all the time, yet in the real world I have NEVER seen a person who was "smug" about their iPhone. You can get an iPhone for $99 now and everyone has one. NO ONE THINKS THE IPHONE IS A STATUS SYMBOL ANYMORE. They haven't for a LONG TIME GUYS.

Whenever I hear a story like this, it's painfully obvious to me that the authors own sense of insecurity or blind hatred of the iPhone is coloring the narrative.

Get over it people. If you want to hate something, hate Android. Apple is not the one eating Windows Phone's lunch, it is ANDROID you should be worried about.

No one is smug about their damn iPhone. Let it go already. The Apple hate is so damn ridiculous.
The part about the 'catatonic' look also sounds fake.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
People DO think of Apple products as status symbols! People are VERY smug about it! It is so obvious where I am from! They think they are better than everybody else!
You must be from an awful place. I'm sorry. Because I'm from a third world country and heck even Apple product owners here don't act smug. They buy it because they like it. End of story.

geoken

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
To all the people who are complaining that apple users don't consider anything else when buying an apple product, there is a good rational reason for this.

Apple consistently makes products that compete well at the high end to the point where you can buy a current Apple product and know that while it might not be the best at everything, it will be very competent. The iPhone is consistently in the top 5 for cameras, in the top 5 for battery life, has a decent screen, etc. For people who don't have the time or wherewithal to compare and contrast the myriad models offered by other OEMs, struggling to grasp technical terminology they don't understand, the lure of an iPhone is clear.

My wife is a perfect example, she basically swore of any non-iPhone device after using devices which were sold to here as having higher specs than the iPhone (it was true) but pereforming significantly worse than her current phone, let alone the new iPhone she was planning on buying. The HD7 she had for a brief while had such a disparity in its camera, despite having more megapixels than the iPhone she had at the time, that it was laughable

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
To all the people who are complaining that apple users don't consider anything else when buying an apple product, there is a good rational reason for this.

Apple consistently makes products that compete well at the high end to the point where you can buy a current Apple product and know that while it might not be the best at everything, it will be very competent. The iPhone is consistently in the top 5 for cameras, in the top 5 for battery life, has a decent screen, etc. For people who don't have the time or wherewithal to compare and contrast the myriad models offered by other OEMs, struggling to grasp technical terminology they don't understand, the lure of an iPhone is clear.

My wife is a perfect example, she basically swore of any non-iPhone device after using devices which were sold to here as having higher specs than the iPhone (it was true) but pereforming significantly worse than her current phone, let alone the new iPhone she was planning on buying. The HD7 she had for a brief while had such a disparity in its camera, despite having more megapixels than the iPhone she had at the time, that it was laughable
Exactly. I own a MacBook Pro myself. Have had it for over a year now. And I would not trade it for anything else. Is it because of the light-up Apple logo? F*** no! It's because in its price there simply isn't anything that gives me the same level of quality. 8 hours of battery with an unmatchable trackpad and keyboard with a stunning aluminium unibody. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that HP or Dell can match this? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)