WP8 and Windows 8 Synergy

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious on your thoughts on synergy between Microsoft's desktop and mobile operating systems. Personally I think this could be a huge differentiator for the MS ecosystem. They are in the unique position of having desktop OS... And yet the similarities are skin deep.

I think that, at minimum, IE tabs and favorites should sync. What other things do you guys think should work more harmoniously between them?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Everything.

When I first logged into my WP8 I expected my email accounts to all magically appear because my Win8 PC had them configured. Similar to when I used a second Win8 PC.

Email Accounts/Contacts. And Apps - WP and Win8 RT apps should be the same store.

Skydrive. Kind of cludgy in that you have a SkyDrive app to download, and then still have to log in again.

DaveDash

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit, I was expecting more WP8 W8 synergy, such as iPhone/iPad.

Microsoft synergy seems to be around the tablet/PC, and after owning a WP8 for a month now, it seems that windows phone is not a high priority line of business for Microsoft. This shouldn't really come as a surprise though, because if you actually look at the numbers, Microsoft's Electronic and Devices business is "only" $3-$4 billion dollars per quater (which most of which is probably Xbox). Compare this to Apples iPhone line of business, which is $30-$40 billion (Apple also however makes their own hardware of course).

This lack of synergy is one of the biggest flaws I think of the Windows Phone ecosystem. If Microsoft want to be a serious player in this space, they need to break into the phone market through the PC (their biggest strength). That is how Apple broke into their market, via the phone.

The tough part is that the smartphone market is becoming saturated. This is bad news for Apple in a way, since such a huge portion of their revenue is tied up in that one basket, which is why I expect them to release some sort of iOS TV that uses an iPad or iPhone as a remote. It also means however that the Windows Phone platform will probably remain small for some time, kind of like how Mac's are in the PC world, until Microsoft can release a unified platform across their entire ecosystem.

Last edited:

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thats is the direction MS are heading in, although not yet anywhere close, they are releasing thier 'blue' updates which will get things working together, just not enough time and manpower to get it all done in one go. I believe they will get there one day, and i pray that day comes in 2013.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett