Contact synching/Live account

Anthony Blomfield

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, wondering if someone could help me out with this. Could have been answered already, but the only post that I found related to this was never answered.

I'm about to go through my contacts and link/edit/delete my way through all the duplicates to get everything looking how it should in the People hub. One thing before I get started however: Why is the Microsoft (Hotmail) account and Live accounts separated? I signed up for Microsoft account when I bought the 920 obviously, so I can purchase apps etc. I formed an email address culminating in @live.com. Now, in my bid to free myself of all things Google, I have added the same email address as a Live account for email updates, and unpinned Gmail (hooray). But now my contacts are duplicated in bizarre ways. When I transferred the contacts from my sim to my new phone, they automatically went to my new Hotmail account, as is the way with Microsoft. Now that I have Live, I have doubles of a lot of contacts, one version from Hotmail, one version from Live. Some have been automatically linked, so the origin of the contact is listed as 'Hotmail, Live'.

What I want to know is, can my Microsoft (Hotmail) account update with emails (and have a pinned tile for this)? If I could just do away with one of them, then a lot of the contacts won't be doubled. I know I can filter, but surely my Hotmail and Live accounts do not have to be separated. After all, aren't they the same thing?

Cheers in advance.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
There is a way to have two email addresses under one Hotmail/Live/Outlook account using aliases. But this sounds like you've set up two completely seperate accounts. In this case the phone is behaving correctly in maintaining the contact lists individually. If you can close one of the accounts, or forward everything from one to the other you'll simplify things. Unfortunately there isn't a way to merge two Hotmail/Live/Outlook accounts together. If there was, I'd have done this as for legacy reasons I have two such accounts.

You can pin your Hotmail account to the home screen. It will be present in your full list of apps. Just long hold and pin to start.

Anthony Blomfield

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
In settings, under Email + accounts, the Microsoft account and Live account are the exact same email address. Also, in my long list there is no Hotmail, Microsoft, or Email or anything like that. Only Live, and the other work email I have set up separately. That's where the problem arises, I don't see Hotmail anywhere to use as an email link, but frustratingly when I press it in Email + accounts, it has all the same settings i.e. update hourly, update email etc. Clearly I've done something wrong or am overlooking something, I just can't figure it out.

Anthony Blomfield

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
And wouldn't you know, I managed to answer it myself. I hadn't checked 'sync email' under the Microsoft account settings. Who feels silly now! Thanks for your help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss