can microsoft bypass carriers when pushing updates?

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
From the relatively narrow view of the typical 1st world gadget consumer, sure. No difference. However, as we are on an enthusiast forum, I expect most are capable of appreciating those differences, including you, no?

Note also, that for people in 2nd and 3rd world countries, those differences are very practical. Android OEMs will understandably not provide OS updates for their low end devices. Due to the reasons mentioned, that is always prohibitively expensive. WP OEMs have no such problems, so even the lowest end WP devices can expect a few updates. That has got to be worth something, don't you think?
To take this logic one step further, as jimski mentioned, the average consumer doesn't know or care about updates, let alone how they are deployed. The average iPhone user doesn't know that Apple released an update until the phone notifies them. They wouldn't know or care that it might have come out two months ago. I know people who intentionally turn off those alerts, because they find them a nuisance.

The average Android user likely doesn't know that his phone has never received an update, and would be surprised to hear that the hardware could have if he had taken certain steps.

Blackberry releases in a similar manner as WP, except the phone doesn't auto check. You had to (unsure of BB10, but 7.1 and down) plug in to the Desktop software, or check crackberry to see if there was an update available. You want a mess of rollouts? Check the crackberry OS discussions.

The only reason this is important, is because you are here, as a WP8 enthusiast. And as such, you should understand the why's and how's of a rollout such as this.

tbsteph1

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
OK, I will cede that many (Most?) users of IOS, Android etc. type devices are ignorant of updates to the OS. However, should that fact excuse Microsoft from giving their users the best experience in a timely manner? If you want to stay at a 3% market share behaving like Android is the company to emulate (Rampant fragmentation, etc.) I love my HTC 8X and I want it to be best it can be. Sitting around for months awaiting Portico from Verizon does not meet that objective. Blame who you want (Telco, Microsoft), it's still a lousy experience compared to IOS updates.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Blame who you want (Telco, Microsoft), it's still a lousy experience compared to IOS updates.

True. In contrast to the million other petitions being proposed here at WPC, starting one to solve this could actually have an affect.

Get 100,000 WP users who are willing to publicly and loudly turn their backs on Verizon if they don't sign a deal with MS, contractually binding them to sign-off on WP updates within two weeks of release, and you would likely have yourself a solution. Due to the non-interest of consumers however, that isn't likely to happen.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Blame who you want (Telco, Microsoft), it's still a lousy experience compared to IOS updates.

Of course it is. Apple came out with a really good product, they knew it, the telcos knew it, everyone knew there was lots of money to be made, so it was very easy for Apple to bend the telcos over. Apple started with a good deal, and even now, they have at least 50% of the sales on most carriers, with very little hardware, its really easy to get what they want.

Samsung are getting close to Apple sales, but they are starting with their current bad deal, how do they renegotiate with the telcos? If Samsung walk, they'll just get replaced with 10 other Android phones. Nokia, HTC, Samsung have minimal sales anywhere, so how can they negotiate? They wont be willing to throw money at the telcos to get their updates on time. I can't imagine Microsoft want to start throwing money at the telcos either.

Whinge all you like, but the only way you can guarantee timely updates, is with an iPhone, or maybe a Google Nexus, but then you can't generally get them on contract, which means throwing down large sums to get the phone sim-free.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
From the relatively narrow view of the typical 1st world gadget consumer, sure. No difference. However, as we are on an enthusiast forum, I expect most are capable of appreciating those differences, including you, no?
I can appreciate the differences, but you're talking about theory. What matters to me are practical results, not looking good in theory.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
... but you're talking about theory. What matters to me are practical results, not looking good in theory.

No, all this has practical consequences for many people, just not for 1st world consumers like us (unfortunately).

I get that you are pissed about that, but I can't do anything about it. I would if I could.

All I'm fishing for is some kind of acknowledgment that I didn't waste my time trying to answer the question you posed, which was "why MS releasing their own phone wouldn't smooth any bump in the update process".... at least not in the way it did for Google with their Nexus line.

BHFH

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Another method of updating is to implement something like windows update on the desktop. On Domain computers, the administrator (carriers) push out updates but you can still manually search for updates on the internet. This allows the carrier to control the masses but still allows the power users to get the updates early.

What I would hate to see in WP is Android like fragmentation. I'm over having to root and install custom ROMs just to get things working.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This is what happens when Apple bypasses carrier testing.

Are you sure Apple bypassed carrier testing? I doubt even Apple could pull that off!

Carrier testing actually isn't that concerned about user facing features in the first place. It's not as much about the user experience, as it is about securing the integrity of their networks.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
What I would hate to see in WP is Android like fragmentation. I'm over having to root and install custom ROMs just to get things working.
Although that is recently starting to improve. Most of this year's lineup are launching with either Jelly Bean or Key Lime Pie and I've noticed most of the OEMs are pushing their updates a bit faster than they used to.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No, all this has practical consequences for many people, just not for 1st world consumers like us (unfortunately).

I get that you are pissed about that, but I can't do anything about it. I would if I could.

All I'm fishing for is some kind of acknowledgment that I didn't waste my time trying to answer the question you posed, which was "why MS releasing their own phone wouldn't smooth any bump in the update process".... at least not in the way it did for Google with their Nexus line.
a5cent, you did an excellent job explaining the whys and hows. Unfortunately, that does nothing to alleviate the concerns of the "I want it now" crowd.

wescoerg

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

That is the problem, but at the same time, when Apple wants to do a quick patch to fix one thing (such as the battery drain), they can. A few little updates, with bug fixes, etc., that Microsoft released for WP7 were never released to the users by the carriers; this wouldn't happen if Microsoft pushed updates themselves.

anon(5477253)

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Months ago Microsoft announced an early update program for enthusiast users to bypass the carrier.

Some details emerge about future Windows Phone 8 update program for enthusiast users | Windows Phone Central
http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...ve/2012/06/20/announcing-windows-phone-8.aspx

I was particularly interested in this because I have a HTC Mozart that still hasn't received the keyboard fix/security certificates updates.

I've been looking around and there hasn't been any news or even mention from Microsoft about this ever since the initial annoucement. I'm really hoping this isn't a 'broken promise' because being denied updates to annoying bugs by my carrier is really frustrating!

tbsteph1

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
OK, this is my last thread on this topic.

1) Microsoft needs to offer OS updates to its users on a timely basis. 2) These updates need to be made available to all users virtually at once. 3) Carriers cannot be permitted to substantially delay (Or even no provide) these updates to their users. 4) More of the big time applications (Instagram, for instance.)

It really is irrelevant what Microsoft does now or how Google updates Android. If they, MSFT, want to be a major player in the smartphone market, they need to at least offer parity with the iPhone and, preferably a noticeably better user experience. Right now they have a good base but hardly parity in terms of software updates or available applications.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It really is irrelevant what Microsoft does now or how Google updates Android.

Yes, just as it is irrelevant to know that the world is a globe and not a flat plane, or just as it is irrelevant to know that the earth rotates around the sun, or just as it is irrelevant to know that Thor, Poseidon and Zeus never actually existed. Some of us just have more curious minds I guess.

Everyone of us agrees on where WP needs to go. Sometimes, it's just nice to have a thread about learning, instead of just complaining, don't you think?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs