Benefit of Windows phone to MS ecosystem?

Sina Falaki

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

Is there a huge benefit into having a w8 phone with Microsoft's ecosystem? I was thinking of getting an android phone to complement my PC/Surface pro! Thanks a lot guys.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You can currently:

Access your Skydrive across both devices.
Access your music collection across both devices.
Access your documents - office and notes, across both devices.
Control Xbox using Xbox Smartglass on WP and/or Surface.
Access awesome UI across both devices.
Sync games across both devices e.g. WordFeud - I play from laptop sometimes, sometimes from phone.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
All of those things you can also do with other phone ecosystems, so they are not really WIndows Phone benefits. Out of those things, smartglass would be the only "benefit" because it works a little better on WP8 than iOS (haven't tried android), but not by much.

There really are not any significant benefits for the MS ecosystem from WP8, if you like android get an android phone.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The only real benefit I see that I believe is limited to MS devices, is Xbox music if you are a subscriber. The WP8 to W8 syncing really offers nothing, besides buggy music transfer. I still have hope though that they'll smooth things out across the various platforms.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
All of those things you can also do with other phone ecosystems, so they are not really WIndows Phone benefits. Out of those things, smartglass would be the only "benefit" because it works a little better on WP8 than iOS (haven't tried android), but not by much.

There really are not any significant benefits for the MS ecosystem from WP8, if you like android get an android phone.

Oh please tell me how can you:

Access your Skydrive across both devices - auto upload photos, documents etc using an android?

Access your music collection across both devices - download a song on Xbox music on Windows 8 and have it ready and waiting for you on your android?

Access your documents - office and notes, across both devices - edit a note on your android and have it ready waiting for you to pick up on your OneNote on Windows 8?

Control Xbox using Xbox Smartglass on WP and/or Surface. - this you know already how you can't do on android.

Access awesome UI across both devices - dont tell me you consider Launcher 8 anything closer to live tiles and UI of Windows Phone!

Sync games across both devices e.g. WordFeud - I play from laptop sometimes, sometimes from phone. - please tell me how this wordfeud scenario works between an android and Windows 8, seriously.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Some useful apps for android users who also are part of the Microsoft environment:

Xbox Smartglass:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEsImNvbS5taWNyb3NvZnQuc21hcnRnbGFzcyJd

My Xbox Live:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLm1pY3Jvc29mdC54bGUiXQ..

Skydrive:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLm1pY3Jvc29mdC5za3lkcml2ZSJd

OneNote:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wMiwiY29tLm1pY3Jvc29mdC5vZmZpY2Uub25lbm90ZSJd

It may not be all as Integrated as on the WP, but it is there. If you don't want a windows phone, you aren't missing out on anything that prevents you from getting things done.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Some useful apps for android users who also are part of the Microsoft environment:

Xbox Smartglass:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEsImNvbS5taWNyb3NvZnQuc21hcnRnbGFzcyJd

My Xbox Live:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLm1pY3Jvc29mdC54bGUiXQ..

Skydrive:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLm1pY3Jvc29mdC5za3lkcml2ZSJd

OneNote:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wMiwiY29tLm1pY3Jvc29mdC5vZmZpY2Uub25lbm90ZSJd

It may not be all as Integrated as on the WP, but it is there. If you don't want a windows phone, you aren't missing out on anything that prevents you from getting things done.

So same as Fhotoroom is same as Instagram or People?s hub is same as Facebook app?

If you don't have a Windows Phone you miss out on the integration same way as if you don't have a calculator you can still count, but you miss out not counting using fingers.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So same as Fhotoroom is same as Instagram or People?s hub is same as Facebook app?

If you don't have a Windows Phone you miss out on the integration same way as if you don't have a calculator you can still count, but you miss out not counting using fingers.

Most items can be done on iOS and Android. Microsoft has made it easier with Onenote, Skydrive apps for both platforms. They even have two xbox apps for each platform.

So yes you can use Android or iOS and not really loose any benefit. One huge benefit is that iOS can sync to Outlook, while Windows Phone can not.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So same as Fhotoroom is same as Instagram or People’s hub is same as Facebook app?

I was thinking more like Microsoft SkyDrive is the same as Microsoft SkyDrive, and Microsoft Smartglass is the same as Microsoft Smartglass.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
The SkyDrive integration is really good. I save a lot of pics from my PC to SkyDrive. Then I can mms them directly from the message app. With android or ios I have to open SkyDrive, save the pic and then send it.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
There are alot of benefits which the other users have listed plus: on WP you can do some things with the native OS that would otherwise require an app on android. The people hub also is top notch compared to anything on android.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to say your biggest loss would be the people app and outlook/skydrive integration. Gmail contact management is atrocious and google docs has no allure anymore now that the real thing has its own free offering.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking more like Microsoft SkyDrive is the same as Microsoft SkyDrive, and Microsoft Smartglass is the same as Microsoft Smartglass.

Of course it is not unless you are telling me when you click a photo on Android in next 10 seconds it is on your Skydrive that your wife can access using your password about 20 countries away, without you doing anything extra other than taking a photo!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Most items can be done on iOS and Android. Microsoft has made it easier with Onenote, Skydrive apps for both platforms. They even have two xbox apps for each platform.

So yes you can use Android or iOS and not really loose any benefit. One huge benefit is that iOS can sync to Outlook, while Windows Phone can not.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

So if you edit a document on android, it automatically is synced to your Windows 8?

BHFH

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So if you edit a document on android, it automatically is synced to your Windows 8?

With Documents To Go, you can edit Google Docs files and can sync with the desktop with Google Drive. Inelegant, DocsToGo cost extra, but similar features.

Smartglass would have been a killer feature, if not so limited. If only MSFT extended that to PCs and tablets. Imagine using your phone as a remote for your Win8 media center. Or as a controller for PC and tablet games when the xbox controller isn't available. Or make the phone a secondary screen for your computer, maybe for notifications or something.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
MS and it's ecosystem is a tricky one. On one had you can understand the business side with microsofts decisions to put all its apps/services on IOS and Android and on the other it seems counter productive in making it's own Mobile OS needed or wanted over the others.

personally I think they should release watered down version of they're apps/services on IOS/Android and have premium versions on WP.

justinm001

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Windows phones have autoupload to SkyDrive. So pics I take on my phone are on my surface, surface pro, and desktop within 30 seconds automatically. This is amazing when doing things like taking pics for a Craigslist or eBay add and no need to wait or email or plug in and transfer.

OneNote also but other phones do it, just not as well. My girlfriend and I share a OneNote notebook and it instantly syncs across our windows phones and computers. She can write me a shopping list while I'm at the store or what she wants me to order when picking up food, etc. We use it a ton for part numbers for car parts, its easier and faster than texting since we can type the part number and copy paste the website or receipt for it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs