Noob looking for answers!

ryan andrews

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys just got a Lumia 822 for Verizon - was hoping to have a few questions answered.

1-Is it possible to do group chat with people on different operating systems (android/ios for example)? Right now, my friends are all in a group chat via their iphones and instead of having one thread that receives all messages sent to the group, I receive individual messages from each of them whenever they post in the group thread. this sucks!

1.1- can only windows phone users use the family room thing? Or can I start a room with my iphone friends?

1.2-Do groups only serve the purpose of giving me social media updates on certain people?

2-I have yet to add my facebook/twitter accounts -- If I add them via the 'Add an Account' option under People --> What's New, will that mess with my 'all' contacts list under People? I would prefer to only have contacts with telephone numbers under my 'all' contacts list.

3-Is there a way to turn off apps as to conserve battery? What are little things I need to be doing to conserve battery throughout the day? Is there a task manager or something like it?

5-How can I receive a notification when I receive a facebook message?

6-Where can I find the file of all the stuff I've downloaded?

7-Am I always signed into skype?

Thanks in advance guys. It's 2am and I need to work tomorrow -- I'm sure some of these questions are answered somewhere on the site but I could not find them due to the fact that these are my first few minutes on the site and I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate it. Any answers help -- Que tengais un buen dia!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
1-1) Group chat as far as I know only works through MMS when using the messaging hub, it may work with Facebook too but I've never tried it.
1-2) Not sure.
2) It will not mess up your contact list as you can filter out contacts from certain accounts
3) you can disable apps from running in the background by either enabling battery saver or by turning off their background task in settings.
4) where's number 4?
5)Facebook messages are sometimes delivered to the messaging hub. It's hit or miss.
6)there is no file manager but attachments appear in the office hub as well as documents and downloaded .pdf files show up in the PDF reader app.
7) yes but it does not consume any extra battery power

J Hisham

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
1.1 - yes, you can. You need to turn on the group chat option under settings > applications > messaging > Group Chat.
1.2 - Groups can help you differentiate between you college mates, co-workers, family, etc. And yeah, it gives social media updates.

2 - it won't mess up your contacts as you can filter it under Settings > application > people > filter my contacts list.

3. Disable background tasks under Settings > Application > Background Tasks, then tap on the app that you want to block from running in the background. Another thing you could do is to make sure you exit apps by tapping the back key until it goes back to the home screen.

4 - Sorry, can't help you at number 4.

5 - you've got to add ur FB account for that to work. You'll receive message notifications just like you would when you have a text message.

6 - if you download pics and vids, it'll be saved under photos > albums > saved pictures. Don't know about the rest.

7. No idea, cause i don't wanna use it until it's more stable.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
1-Is it possible to do group chat with people on different operating systems (android/ios for example)? Right now, my friends are all in a group chat via their iphones and instead of having one thread that receives all messages sent to the group, I receive individual messages from each of them whenever they post in the group thread. this sucks!
Yes, it is possible, and when enabled will allow you to chat with friends together (instead of getting each message individually). But if I recall correctly, Verizon has opted to disable group messaging on their WP8 phones. As far as I know, they haven't enabled it yet. Here's a WPCentral article talking about it - Verizon ditches Group Messaging on Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

6-Where can I find the file of all the stuff I've downloaded?
There's no clear answer to this. Pictures get saved in the Picture Hub, but other files downloaded are not directly accessible. The only way to access them would be through the "Recent Documents" of their respective apps.

ryan andrews

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey thanks J for the response.

I don't have a group chat option under settings>applications>messaging :(

In response to what you said concerning question 1-2 -- does it ONLY give social media updates?

And in response to 3 -- My phone says the apps that are running in the background are facebook, weather, skype, whatsapp, chase -- If I disallow facebook to run in the background, how will that affect the way facebook works on the phone? Maybe it won't even affect it at all, just wondering.

1.1 - yes, you can. You need to turn on the group chat option under settings > applications > messaging > Group Chat.
1.2 - Groups can help you differentiate between you college mates, co-workers, family, etc. And yeah, it gives social media updates.

3. Disable background tasks under Settings > Application > Background Tasks, then tap on the app that you want to block from running in the background. Another thing you could do is to make sure you exit apps by tapping the back key until it goes back to the home screen.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
The only features you would lose would be the ability for the app to update its live tile, and to periodically download new content.

J Hisham

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey thanks J for the response.

I don't have a group chat option under settings>applications>messaging :(

In response to what you said concerning question 1-2 -- does it ONLY give social media updates?

And in response to 3 -- My phone says the apps that are running in the background are facebook, weather, skype, whatsapp, chase -- If I disallow facebook to run in the background, how will that affect the way facebook works on the phone? Maybe it won't even affect it at all, just wondering.

1. sorry, it isn't called group chat but group text. but you should know that it uses MMS to keep the conversation in one thread.
2. with groups, you can send text and emails and use messenger (if they are using WP8) to everyone in the group. but i don't think the other contacts would see it as a group chat though. only you can see it in one thread (if you enable the group text option).
3. yeah, like ousooner314 said, you'd lose the live tile updates. you'd still receive toast notification if not mistaken (maybe it's app dependable). You don't have to turn off all background tasks, just the ones that you find are a real battery drainer like Nokia Drive, Skype (so i've heard), etc..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)