Now, who is working on the ecosystem?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
For the record, I never bought a WP8. I was starving but although the "appetizers" were nicely presented (Lumia 920, WP8 UI), they didn't taste very good. The host stopped talking to the guests and wouldn't say when the turkey will be ready, so I headed to Boston Market (iOS).

Seriously, I already went through 2 years of this (WP7 Samsung Focus). There was pain there, especially never officially getting the post-Mango disappearing keyboard fix (or anything after that *cough* Tango *cough*).

In the words of W: "Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!"

I can't say enough how much I love the WP UI and its responsiveness. Nokia has great hardware as well. I'll definitely return to Windows Phone when I feel they are hitting the ball out of the park with regularity. In the meantime my Focus will make a great music/podcast player ;-)

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I felt the reason Nokia jumped WP ship is to stop bothering on software side. Symbian had become such a pain... It was stable but required many fixes here and there and was getting really dated with touch interface skins. I thought Nokia made a good decision in choosing the Software giant like MS and stop worrying on software and focus more on hardware which is where they are good at. After two years, MS is letting down Nokia the way Symbian was. In fact Symbian was much better as it had features that are even not available on WP8. The only problem with Symbian was UI. Well, as a saying goes, now MS has a beautiful UI, but hardly any features that 5 years old Symbian phone has.

Now tell me when MS was developing the OS, didn't they think that they need certain basic features in Mobile phone... Like ring volume or editing a mail before you forward or creating a playlist and so on so forth. The so called Portico was not a major fix. Well, there are still many minor things that are to be introduced to call WP8 a complete smartphone. I'm not talking about major things. Yes, major things can take time. But silly features like music player starts playing last paused song when I end a Skype call? I know Skype uses the same API but these are annoying.

I'm a sympathiser for Nokia, constantly claiming that they need third horse in the race as an ecosystem. But how responsible is MS being or justifying the presence of sincere OEM partners it is having right now.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I honestly say I find peoples addictions to apps disturbing. and I agree with a previous poster about patience. problem is that people are too worried about showing off the fancy features, ooh look what my phone can do can yours? I prefer safety and information on the go as ive stated. BTW this is imho I don't judge anyone for liking what they like in fact I preach it but, lets be honest the only reason people were clamoring for portico was because it was announced same for Apollo, mango, nodo, and any other update ever announced. Microsoft has many aspects of their business and I think that being patient and allowing them to optimize their products to work the very best with each other is a sacrifice worth making. is windows perfect no but neither is any platform.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
What phone do you own? says you're posting from a Nexus 4

I currently have a Nexus 4 and a Lumia 920. My 920 is my daily driver (for now) and my Nexus is my travel phone (I live on the road). When on the road I usually have a foreign sim card in my N4 and my reg sim in my 920.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
All these old WP fan scare me...you all seem act like Gollum having WP as your Precious
I've only had my 8x for 2 months, and sure I get annoyed that I dont have Instagram and Snapchat, but I still love my phone
I'm afraid though that after a year or so and still no instagram I'll turn into one of them...bitter, old, Gollum :/

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So a few people bought the new OS because of its fresh take on smartphones but now in its 3rd year there are still missing features and Microsoft doesn't seem to be in any hurry to address the situation.

I heard that Microsoft cancelled WP dev vacations last fall to make sure they made the WP8 release date. That's how much in a hurry they are - ruining the software engineers' health. Do you think they should literally kill themselves to get more features in by X date?

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If they want to remain competitive and start gaining market share, then yes (but not literally kill themselves).
the problem is that if they rush to get it ready by x date then everyone cries and complains that it isnt done right, or its not as feature rich, or that it lacks a fancy tile, and so they say "MICROSOFT Y U NO DO THIS RIGHT!!" Although on the other hand if they take the time needed to unify ALL of microsofts products and recently purchased services everyone cries and says "MICROSOFT Y U NO RELEASE AT SAME TIME AS OTHER MOBILE OS'!!!" You cannot have it both ways either you wait and get a good app, or you dont get a cheap app, or you leave the platform without having to deal with either. in the words of the booty warrior "we can do this the easy way or the hard way the choice is yours..."

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Why not make these changes at a faster pace? Taking 2 years to design WP8 in this competitive market isn't good enough. It was okay in days of Windows when Microsoft enjoyed the monopoly. Now they don't. People have options to compare the OS to and when you can compare, its easy to see others marching ahead at a pace faster than you catching up!

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I heard that Microsoft cancelled WP dev vacations last fall to make sure they made the WP8 release date. That's how much in a hurry they are - ruining the software engineers' health. Do you think they should literally kill themselves to get more features in by X date?

I wonder what the f@#$ was going on to be that far behind that vacations needed to be cancelled?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what the f@#$ was going on to be that far behind that vacations needed to be cancelled?

If i remember rightly it was reported that there were massive bugs when they started internal testing so cancelled all leave to get it fixed. May have been just a rumour made up by some ijourno or ianalyst though.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
the problem is that if they rush to get it ready by x date then everyone cries and complains that it isnt done right, or its not as feature rich, or that it lacks a fancy tile, and so they say "MICROSOFT Y U NO DO THIS RIGHT!!" Although on the other hand if they take the time needed to unify ALL of microsofts products and recently purchased services everyone cries and says "MICROSOFT Y U NO RELEASE AT SAME TIME AS OTHER MOBILE OS'!!!" You cannot have it both ways either you wait and get a good app, or you dont get a cheap app, or you leave the platform without having to deal with either. in the words of the booty warrior "we can do this the easy way or the hard way the choice is yours..."
The thing is that there were some basic things that were not delivered with WP8 and some things were degraded by WP8. For example, not improving the Calendar??? How much effort would that have taken? Also, why was WP8 released with a degraded Xbox Music and Video?

Why not make these changes at a faster pace? Taking 2 years to design WP8 in this competitive market isn't good enough. It was okay in days of Windows when Microsoft enjoyed the monopoly. Now they don't. People have options to compare the OS to and when you can compare, its easy to see others marching ahead at a pace faster than you catching up!
Yep!

Exactly. I mean, it's become clear that the whole time was spent coding the OS for the new kernel, but it appears that, in the rush to meet the WP8 release date, some major sacrifices were made.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
All these old WP fan scare me...you all seem act like Gollum having WP as your Precious
I've only had my 8x for 2 months, and sure I get annoyed that I dont have Instagram and Snapchat, but I still love my phone
I'm afraid though that after a year or so and still no instagram I'll turn into one of them...bitter, old, Gollum :/

I just want banking apps. What the **** is hard about this. I don't have them for WP 7 and can't find a few on the windows 8 market place.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234