Windows phone 8 Blue. Will cost?

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen the story, but I would assume the charge model would be for the Windows OS only. I would be surprised if they charged for the WP updates.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I can't see them doing it on the phone side, but on the PC side it's possible. Sounds like there isn't even any Windows 9 plans and they are moving to more yearly updates of Windows 8. Sorta like what Apple does with MacOS.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
you have to be trolling because i can't find anything on that, not even from the verge, i bet they will charge for the windows 8 updates like always but not the windows phone ones!

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I can't see them doing it on the phone side, but on the PC side it's possible. Sounds like there isn't even any Windows 9 plans and they are moving to more yearly updates of Windows 8. Sorta like what Apple does with MacOS.

and yes, I can see them moving on windows 8.1, 8.2 etc... And charging a nominal fee of $19.99, $29.99 for them. As I think they should.

Parktreeone

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No not trolling, I love my Lumia 920, a lot! I have no plans to change. It was more about food for thought and open discussion. I will try and find what I read (im a tech addict and read too much hard to keep tabs on my own reading)

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
www.theverge.com/2013/2/19/4005318/windows-blue-screenshots-nt-version-6-3
you would have read this in the last paragraph which only tells about windows8...i also thought of the same question for wp8

Parktreeone

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes! That's the one! I was thinking how it might affect wp8 considering how integrated the systems are meant to be. Would I miss out on any features if for example - I decided not to pay for Blue update on my lap top but received a free Blue update on my phone. -

I think there is room for a lot of discussion on this subject.

I also don't think its silly to completely rule out a cost for wp8 either, no matter how crazy this might seem.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
they are struggling now against the competition sooo I can't imagine that ever happening.

LOL apple wouldn't even think of doing this.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft once said that they support Windows Phone with updates for a certain time. Don't ask for sources, I don't have any. But I really don't believe that it will cost anything. Most of all, because "Blue" is just a buzz word. It's not even really connected to other platforms, it's just a plan that there will be updates every year on all platforms. At least that's what I read.

I wouldn't be surprised if it would cost something for Windows 8.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone ever had to pay for a SP? Its going to take them two years just to get all the bugs and integration issues fixed. I find it highly unlikely there will be a charge for any platform. Unless w8 turns out to be like Vista, beyond hope. And I highly doubt that because MS is "all or nothing" with new UI. W8 hasn't floundered yet and adoption isn't terrible so I don't see w9 coming out anytime soon. And if I'm wrong, MS can stick it. I'm not paying money for them to fix what should have been there in the first place. They rushed it to market unfinished. Especially WP8. They can't and won't charge for it.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
While it does sound crazy to have to pay for WP8 updates, it's not really that far-fetched considering how the industry has grown in the past 4 years or so. To recap a bit of history:
Up until 2008, maybe mid of 2009, smartphones were all about features and the hardware - no one gave two cents about the operating system it ran on (or what apps it had).
When the iOS vs. Android momentum picked up, it changed the way people looked at phones atmost overnight (which is part of the reason Nokia and BB were caught unawares).

Coming to Blue and paying for it, it's really not as crazy as it sounds...*IF* Microsoft can show a significant benefit for WP8 in terms of integration with Windows 8, sync app purchases for instance, and in short give a really good reason for people to pay for it.

However if all it gives WP is bug fixes and fills missing features, then WP will probably go the way of WebOS/Symbian.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Coming to Blue and paying for it, it's really not as crazy as it sounds...*IF* Microsoft can show a significant benefit for WP8 in terms of integration with Windows 8, sync app purchases for instance, and in short give a really good reason for people to pay for it.

They ****ed everybody with WP8 which made WP7 obsolete (WP7, a completely new OS which didn't run any old software, replaced after 2 years with a completely new OS that supports software not running on WP7). If they try such a stunt again, I'll be gone.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
They ****ed everybody with WP8 which made WP7 obsolete (WP7, a completely new OS which didn't run any old software, replaced after 2 years with a completely new OS that supports software not running on WP7). If they try such a stunt again, I'll be gone.
We won't see WP9 for atleast 1, 1,5 year and there's possibility(*cough* blue *cough*) that there won't be version anymore, like we will have Windows and Windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb