Anyone sick of Microsoft making Nokia it's new iPhone?

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I loved my HD7, I like my Nokia...however, watch HTC come out with a smaller version of their flagship for Windows Phone..and then wonder why it doesn't sell.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They never said that, or I don't recall them saying that. It will be in the next round of WPs from them.

According to this report, that is exactly what they said. http://wmpoweruser.com/htc-announces-new-ultrapixel-camera-with-ois-and-hdr-video/. And since their Ultrapixel hype is already getting its butt handed to it by the 920 I don't think anyone will miss it.

And someone please explain how the mark of a high end phone is now solely the screen size. If that was the only criteria then you could just as well trot out the old HTC Titan and call it a day. But I guess the Puremotion HD+, supersensitive screen, sunlight readability, wireless charging and OIS are now hallmarks of a low-end phone as long as its runs WP.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
OP, most will agree that the feelings you have towards Nokia are largely a result of you not understanding the dynamics in the markets and the various companies roles in it (No offense intended. It isn't immediately obvious how all this works).

I think that anything that can be said about this topic has already been said in this thread.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I've been using WP8 for about a year now. My first device was the Lumia 710 on T-Mobile but because I wanted to tether and the Lumia didn't support it, I decided to get the 4G Radar instead. This year I decided that I would get the highly anticipated 8X by HTC on T-Mobile's network as well and I love the phone. But everytime I look on WPCentral, I'm always seeing some exclusive app for the Lumia series. Honestly it's starting infuriate me because it seems as if Microsoft is making Nokia it's little iPhone. What about HTC 8X we have rights to.

It's pretty shocking that you have taken the time to post a comment and are on this site so obviously are a fan of WP8 but haven't realized that exclusive titles are by definition exclusive by the manufacturer...HTC and Samsung have exclusives as well, they just happen to suck.
Nokia is the only one putting all their efforts into the platform...HTC seem to be trying but they put their software focus on Android as they foolishly think their sense is a selling feature and since they can't skin WP8 they only put the effort on the hardware...Samsung does the usual Samsung thing and just pushes out iteration after iteration of hardware...Samsung, like most Korean companies are not interested in innovation...

Next time it would probably suit you better to get a Nokia...the hardware is top notch (best designs, best camera, best screens, etc...), the software is beyond awesome and they support their products better than anyone else

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
No. In fact, I would say it's a good thing Nokia is the "iphone" of WP right now. Face it. The samsung and HTC oferings aren't the ones getting the attention. They aren't the ones getting the sales and helping WP atleast stay in the picture. It's the 920 doing it. It was the 900 last year and now it's the 920. Without Nokia over the last 2 years I seriously doubt we would still be discussing WP and loooking forward to any MWC announcements because I don't think WP would still be alive and even have the fighting chance they have. What I am sick of, is the lack of WP phones available and the lack of high end WP phones available. I know the cheaper phones are important, but take a look at all the best selling phones across all platforms. They are all high end specs, and they have screens larger than 4.5 inches. (Other than the iphone which to me doesn't matter). Apple could release the thing with a 2 inch screen and it would sell like crazy because of how innovative they are by saving space.

Look, I love my 920, best phone I ever had. I had a note before this. But WP needs a handful of high end devices to choose from with varying larger screen sizes. And I honestly think they need to atleast double the amount of phones they have in the market on all of the carriers. Give me 2 or 3 high end devices on each carrier, each with a different screen size. Then a couple of mid range phones on each carrier and a low end phone as well. They also need to invade th prepaid market with more than 1 phone from huawei. Of course, if they could get Best Buy to actually carry the 920 in their store it might help. All 3 Best Buy's near me refuse to carry the flagship WP's. They did it last year and they are still doing it this year. They carry 1 WP, the 8x. That's it. And they will do anything they can to not sell it.

Could not disagree with you more...
Windows Phone will take years to get to the level of iOS in the western markets where high end phones are required...
Windows Phone is doing well in emerging markets and this is also where Nokia continues to do well with their candy bar phones and Asha type devices...Windows phone needs sub $150USD phones for these markets and it looks like Nokia is about to deliver

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the fact that PutridPixel technology needs kernel level processing to work (which is what WP restricts THANKFULLY) is a sure sign that HTC knows NOTHING about imaging. If you need that kind of low level access to take a ****ing picture, you are doing it wrong.

As someone else put it, HTC has exclusives, they just suck. And the exclusives the NEED to update like HTC CONnection Setup, they SCREW their users so they can't change the APN properly.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone-sus saving the mobile industry. Lord Bill Gates and King Elop along with .. Ballmer..

It's amazing how WP is actually starting to be the enterprise dominant phone. A company a day to adapt Lumia Phones.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh good lord. Its stated above but yes. It happens on IOS, Android and by god. Windows Phone. However with the statement above about Nokia needing to release several more types of phones. Keep in mind they can barely keep up with making their Lumia 920's.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It's actually good for the platform.
Right now, HTC is being slaughtered on all fronts. Soon, assuming the One fails, they'll be backed into a corner and forced to innovate, like what happened to Nokia.
And, that is what I am hoping for. Actual innovation.
There's a reason for Nokia's utter domination of Windows Phone: their PureView cameras, their PureMotion tech, their Super Sensitive Screens, their HAAC microphones, the Fabula design language, their shells, their exclusive apps, and the list can go on and on and on.
My point is, I want innovation, not crap Android re-releases. HTC has moved a step in the right direction. What I want is more from them.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
HTC puts a lot of efforts in their software, and Android just gives them the freedom to do that. Nokia was never known for their software, which is why Windows Phone is optimum for them.
sorry, but... Nokia is known for software. Up too about 2011, it had the most popular OS in the world.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Chelsey Love

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
nokia was known for its software for a very long time, and is very popular even now around the world.
they were actually the leaders in phones for that time with symbian. i was a Nokia symbian maniac since they started making touch screen phones. the only problem with them was that they never got into more high-end features apps and phone designs like the more popular OS's have now, so their phone sales have gone down drastically with people buying them second hand more than new at stores. they have the n8, n9 meego,(which the lumia series was based off of) the asha and 808 pureveiw among them. the 808 is the greatest camera phone that's ever been made with its 41 mega pixels.

many of their phones are considered lower end smartphones as well which doesn't sell well in america where many people need the higher end ones for business and work. they are however pushing these WP phones to the limit and making as many deals for app's and exclusives as they can because they are riding on it to survive in the industry. im really happy they are doing it too with these pushes their making a comeback and showing who's who for the long run. i love nokia and hope they make it!

HTC is good but they really just don't care when it comes down too it, their more invested in the android side than windows, so really their too blame if your seeing Nokia more than HTC when it comes to windows, just like with android i dont even know another android phone at the moment because of S3 and note since their pushed out there with all of these amazing things they have.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I think there are people with loud voices waiting outside your house for saying that. Nokia has for a long time made software. Called Symbian (sp?).
Yes and it killed them eventually. Nokia can't make decent software if their life depends on it. They tried with Symbian Touch but it was a horrible disaster. Then they gave up and went with an OS they wont have to develop.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is NOT known for software? Where did Symbian come from, offering features and customization even WP is not there yet.
I'm talking about Nokia of the years ago. That was a different Nokia. I'm talking about Nokia in the touch screen world, where Symbian failed miserably and Nokia's inability to create a touch based OS was exposed badly. Even Nokia had no confidence in their software capabilities which is why Meego, which even in 2010 was more capable than WP8, was abandoned.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Well... Despite Nokia losing money like the dickens last year... I see them having a better chance at surviving to relevance than HTC. So even if this is true... I can understand MS pushing Nokia as the flagship. Won't mention Samsung since they've reached parity with iphone using Android. We all know where their money lies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte