Podcast outside US

chinlj

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyway to listen to podcast with native interface outside US right now other than having to use iTunes to manage them? I'm sure there are people already can't take it anymore and ready to jump ship.

chinlj

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Installed Songbird, download a podcast episode but don't know how to sync to the phone. Uninstall immediately.
Back to no workable solution.

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
A US Account !
I have an 8X with a US account (I used the same account as my Xbox 360) in Saudi Arabia , I get all the US only stuff !
I sill use iTunes for Podcasts though , Force of hobbit .

I'm not sure If I'd recommend using a US account outside the US , Since I still can't figure out how to use a Saudi Credit card with it , When You try to add the card information to purchase something , the billing address is locked to a US based address /

chinlj

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
If these region specific features continue without resolution for another year, more strong supporters like myself will jump ship, even though reluctantly.
Microsoft/Nokia can keep on bragging how many markets they have entered, but to the consumer, may feel like being cheated.

ElliotWP

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I've yet to hear the reason for the lack of Podcast support outside the US. There must be a reason, I just can't imagine what it is; it can't possibly be licensing issues because you can download most podcasts anywhere in the world for free =/

chinlj

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Yup, Microsoft need to explain, otherwise just allow the feature. I would guess it is tie to Xbox Music and Xbox Music is really broken right now.
Anyone outside this ecosystem will laugh till death when they hear the lack of native podcast support.

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Android also doesn't have a native podcast support ! As far as i know iOS is the only one that have it !
As far as i know Podcasts were part of the Zune desktop software & with Zune gone , they are probably looking for another solution ! So they could be testing it for now , thats why it could be reason its limited to the US !

I guess we will wait & see how it goes ...

chinlj

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember there's a decent podcast apps from Google which pulls from Google Reader when I was on Android. There's not a single decent solution in WP8, not those that I've tried. Offline caching is needed badly as our 3G really sucks for streaming

Edit: its called Google Listen

Last edited:

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Right , I totally forgot about Google Listen ! I thought you were talking about a built in app like the Music App in iOS ! ... my bad !
I tried downloading it a couple of time when I was on Android , but it kept telling its unavailable in my country so I sticked to iTunes

Big Anonymouse

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I had no idea there's no support for podcasts outside of US... I'm in the UK and I've upgraded from Lumia 710 to Lumia 720 a couple of days ago. I was really happy with it until I realised there's no simple way to get podcast functionality that I previously had with WindowsPhone7.8 and Zune (not as convenient as with iTunes before but still perfectly usable). I've tried and purchased a number of apps (Podcatcher, Podcast Lounge, WPodder) but none are really completely usable at this stage. This, along with a couple of other minor issues made me just fill in the return form and post the phone back to Amazon... I think I'll wait another 6 months and use my 710 until this gets fixed and maybe get a Lumia 928 instead.

IgneousSoftware

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. We're a little suspicious of that report (would be great if it was true) in the Verge.

Those demo phones may have been logged in with a US LiveID which would then US Podcast library in the Music + Video app, so it's not conclusive evidence unfortunately.

We're the developers of Podcast Lounge on Windows Phone and we've got hectic development plans ahead of us to ensure that Windows Phone has an app that can match the best of Android and iOS. We're keen to get even more engaged with our users, so let us know what features you'd like to see - who knows, we might juggle our schedule plans around if the demand is there! :eek:)

chinlj

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Needless to say, this basic feature should come free of charge with decent capability. Advanced features are chargeable of course

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte