Does battery apps drains the battery?

TopTomy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I was just thinking about it -
do those battery monitors apps that shows you the current % of battery left, drains the battery?
As far as I know, those apps have to mature the battery level every X min, so it causes the battery to drain faster... am I right?

Thanks,
Tom.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they drain the battery. Never understood why people would install a battery app that makes battery life worse. Just check in the settings.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Not it doesn't. It checks every 30 mins or so like any other app with a live tile. if you got into the app, it will update again.

This isn't android.

TopTomy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Not it doesn't. It checks every 30 mins or so like any other app with a live tile. if you got into the app, it will update again.

This isn't android.

morpheus1982, so how come it doesn't? think about this, if you DO have an app that checks every 30 minutes, it's better NOT to have it and skip the 30 minutes update...
so it does drain the battery if it needs to check.

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Your mising the point of the app. People who use it want to know the current percentage on the live tile instead of having to go into the settlings. Yes, it will prob use a miniscule amount of power, but it's a tradeoff for having that information readily avail on the start screen (lock screen).

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Those apps seem dumb to me. There's no way they don't drain battery a little. The battery meter on top is fine. If you want to obsess about every meticulous detail of the OS then buy an Android. I hear they're cheap.

TopTomy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Your mising the point of the app. People who use it want to know the current percentage on the live tile instead of having to go into the settlings. Yes, it will prob use a miniscule amount of power, but it's a tradeoff for having that information readily avail on the start screen (lock screen).

Yeah, I get your point, but i'm not sure about the miniscule amount of power... there's no way to determine the amount of power those apps are using.

TopTomy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Those apps seem dumb to me. There's no way they don't drain battery a little. The battery meter on top is fine. If you want to obsess about every meticulous detail of the OS then buy an Android. I hear they're cheap.

lol, I don't think that carrying about your battery life is saved for obsessed people. I think it's the number 1 concern of every mobile user, android/WP/Symbian/iPhone/Dumbphone etc. :)

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
The battery app drains yes like every app, i think the question shoudl be if the battery app is a battery killer like a whatsapp. Generally, i dont think so, if you get the battery apps that are basic in its features, im sure it will not take up much battery. I have battery widget and i tend to have really good battery life lasting more than a day if i have to.

There are some high featured battery apps that seemed to drain my battery in the past, but im not sure if it was just a coincidence, but the battery widget app is no problem for me so i kept this one.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
morpheus1982, so how come it doesn't? think about this, if you DO have an app that checks every 30 minutes, it's better NOT to have it and skip the 30 minutes update...
so it does drain the battery if it needs to check.

Using a little power to check the battery level and log the result, isn't the same as DRAINING the battery. Doing it yourself by going through the menus with the screen on may "drain" more power.

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
It's not a problem to have a battery app as it's very convenient to have a battery percentage info on your tiles. If you don't want it to drain your battery, go to Settings, Applications and under Background Task, block your battery app from keep on running in the background. That could save your battery...

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It's not a problem to have a battery app as it's very convenient to have a battery percentage info on your tiles. If you don't want it to drain your battery, go to Settings, Applications and under Background Task, block your battery app from keep on running in the background. That could save your battery...

If you do that, then what is the point of having the app to begin with?

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
If you do that, then what is the point of having the app to begin with?

You can still get into the app and see the percentage. I'm just suggesting, heck I don't even know if it really saves your battery. I'm gonna try it today and see if it improves my battery life but honestly, I doubt it.

xWisp

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

It also probably uses less power than having the screen on enough and using the touch screen to go check too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro