I think I've finally cracked the Windows Phone Notification Centre, but you'll have to visualise :P

dk_banaah

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok bear with me here, I don't have any images to show but this has literally just exploded into my head and I had to tell you guys and see what you think regardless

Inspiration from:
Windows Phone Notification Center Concept posted by isyraf.eiman
Windows Phone Notification Center Concept | The Verge Forums

and an image posted by corbey94 in the comment section of the above link
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=49ab...B02E361AF!1598&sff=1&authkey=!ANS96M4hg-acrdk

OK, so basically take these ideas but apply them to the whole OS. You know how some apps allow you to swipe down and show you the status bar and some don’t? Yeah scrap that entirely. Instead merge the status bar with the notification centre. Make it have the same animation that iOS does when double tapping the home button when as you drag down, the whole screen slides down slowly along with that bar with the arrow (heck there doesn't even need to be a separating bar really, or at least not as thick) and not just covers the screen as the iOS and Android notification shades do, i.e. the app you are currently in literally slides out of view instead of just being covered up. It's as if the OS screen itself is being dragged down out of view to uncover the Notification Centre hidden beneath.

I’m telling you it would fit perfectly. From any screen in the OS is you need to check your battery or other statuses, just take a quick "peek" and then go about your business.

Personally I think it’s brilliant. I’ll try to make some images and post it up here to get my thoughts across but hopefully you get the gist. If anyone truly understands what I'm getting at feel free to do it yourself though, just make sure I get a mention :p

So what do you think guys, will it work?

Edit: OK forget about the peek idea I just mentioned. Instead make it so that the flick/swipe gesture from the top still has the same function as it does now on the home screen and certain apps and apply that to the entire OS (override apps to do it regardless of whether the dev built it in or not if possible) in showing the status bar. But then when you drag from the top it does what I mentioned in the post. Much like the how in Windows 8 a swipe from the top opens the app bar and a drag down from the top allows you to either move the app into a pinned position or discard it. Two completely different things.

Last edited:

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I had almost exactly the same idea a while ago, a notification center what you could access by swiping down from the status bar with a twist that it does not cover anything, it just sort of pushes the current open application away from the screen and shows the information that seems like it has always been there, the screen just wasn't positioned to display it. It could even leave the app you came from visible in the bottom so that you absolutely could not get lost. I think I tossed this idea in the end because I didn't like the swipe gesture accessing it, swipe down from the top is a very cumbersome gesture to do one-handed with a big screen device.

LUMIA820_hyperspace3.png

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Some apps already use the swipe down gesture. Some apps don't allow the user to show the status bar. How would it work then?

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Some apps already use the swipe down gesture. Some apps don't allow the user to show the status bar. How would it work then?

Another reason why any swipe down solution is problematic. In full screen solutions user would just have to know that it's there without any other visual cue. It would also go directly against the already established behavior of status bar (despite the gesture actually being a tap instead of swipe) which is something that would probable confuse the users already familiar with WP.

ps. What apps use swipe down gesture? I would like to try the gesture in action.

dk_banaah

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I had almost exactly the same idea a while ago, a notification center what you could access by swiping down from the status bar with a twist that it does not cover anything, it just sort of pushes the current open application away from the screen and shows the information that seems like it has always been there, the screen just wasn't positioned to display it. It could even leave the app you came from visible in the bottom so that you absolutely could not get lost. I think I tossed this idea in the end because I didn't like the swipe gesture accessing it, swipe down from the top is a very cumbersome gesture to do one-handed with a big screen device.

View attachment 29640

Yes! Thats pretty much what I had in my head except I didn't envision the app getting smaller in the process. I actually think yours would suit better as there are many instances where items gets smaller in Windows Phone e.g. long press menus and the task switching screen.

Its a shame you didn't try and take it further though

dk_banaah

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Another reason why any swipe down solution is problematic. In full screen solutions user would just have to know that it's there without any other visual cue. It would also go directly against the already established behavior of status bar (despite the gesture actually being a tap instead of swipe) which is something that would probable confuse the users already familiar with WP.

ps. What apps use swipe down gesture? I would like to try the gesture in action.

I've posted an edit to address you concerns you mention. Also there's no need for visual cues. The entire OS is devoid of visual cues so it fits perfectly. I'm sure they'll get a walk through in the store if anything

olivercorb

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Like it! This the problem with the slide-down gesture: whatever we choose, someone from a competing platform is going to accuse us of 'copying'; Sliding down from the top would copy iOS and Android, and sliding from the side would copy Blackberry and to an extent, the Nokia N9 os (can't remember the name, woops). Even webOS had notifications at the bottom so we can't copy them either!

The flick down gesture to access is well known by most windows phone users so it would be a natural evolution really. It doesn't have to slide in, either. We have a whole host of gestures and movements in the OS as it is, such as it 'flipping' in like the live tiles. Either way we can discuss this all we want but so long as we get some form of notification center i'll be happy.

itssmano

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello WP,
There are tons of good options thrown by the patrons, but I am curios to know if Windows will actually refine their OS and launch an update or they would outdate the present generation and launch the new is along with new devices. Glad to have update with lot of refinements which other wise will drive us back to the old platform we are used to.

dk_banaah

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

See my edit, I think it address what you mention here. A

lso I meant that apps such as Whatsapp, Skype and WP Central (via the selected setting mind you) show the battery status and thus allow you to swipe down for other statuses such as Wi-Fi and signal strength whereas other apps such as Facebook, Music + Videos and Amazon Kindle do not show the batter status and therefore don't show anything when you try to swipe from the top.

dk_banaah

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Like it! This the problem with the slide-down gesture: whatever we choose, someone from a competing platform is going to accuse us of 'copying'; Sliding down from the top would copy iOS and Android, and sliding from the side would copy Blackberry and to an extent, the Nokia N9 os (can't remember the name, woops). Even webOS had notifications at the bottom so we can't copy them either!

The flick down gesture to access is well known by most windows phone users so it would be a natural evolution really. It doesn't have to slide in, either. We have a whole host of gestures and movements in the OS as it is, such as it 'flipping' in like the live tiles. Either way we can discuss this all we want but so long as we get some form of notification center i'll be happy.

In all honesty I know how you feel but all the sides have been taken now lol. Cant use the bottom because the capacitive buttons are there and even though no other OS has used the right side its just the same as swiping from the left just BB10 and Meego.

You can't win them all, especially when you're catching up

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
How about instead of sliding you pinch the screen? So, thumb and finger diagonally pinches the screen, it becomes smaller and vanishes like pufff. When you are done looking at notifications, hit the back button and you are where you left!

dk_banaah

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
How about instead of sliding you pinch the screen? So, thumb and finger diagonally pinches the screen, it becomes smaller and vanishes like pufff. When you are done looking at notifications, hit the back button and you are where you left!

Interesting, although you would definitely need 2 hands for that. Still a pretty cool idea though :)

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes! Thats pretty much what I had in my head except I didn't envision the app getting smaller in the process. I actually think yours would suit better as there are many instances where items gets smaller in Windows Phone e.g. long press menus and the task switching screen.

Its a shame you didn't try and take it further though

I actually did take it further, but it ended up going to somewhat different direction.

Also there's no need for visual cues. The entire OS is devoid of visual cues so it fits perfectly. I'm sure they'll get a walk through in the store if anything

Now this is simply wrong. The entire OS is FULL of visual cues!

- The way content from the next screen is showing a little bit in Panorama screens
- The way how Pivot control labels go off the screen suggesting that there's more than what's currently visible
- The way different content items animate separately instead of together
- The way App Bar shows those three little dots even when minimized
- etc.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
How about utilizing the free space above our Live Tiles? In this free space, there can be a "special" Live Tile, one that is as thin as, say, the IE URL bar. This tile will be a drop-down menu essentially, with the word "Notifications" being shown by default. Now, when you click this tile, the most recent notification will be the first option, followed by the others from newest to oldest. When you click on a notification, it takes you to the spot in the corresponding app where you got that notification. I think that would look sweet.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Some good ideas. But why make things so complex. Do we need a full screen of notifications?

What ive been thinking recently is why not just use the top of the screen thats usually reserved for signal/wifi/bluetooth/battery/time.

Battery and time would have to stay where they are as when the phone is on charge they are always present. Why not use the other space for mail/text/reminders/skype/calls. All it would take would be an icon a little smaller than the ones that you get on the lock screen. The icons are persistant until the notification is dealt with. Toast notifications would still come in but after they dissappear a reminder is sitting there

Dealing with the notification would just mean going to the respective app to clear it eg missed call would require opening phone, incoming mail open mail.

So what your basically looking at is the lock screen notifications on the start screen in the little bar at the top. Its simple and doent disrupt the flow of WP8 - instead of: seeing notification > swipe notification centre > acknowledge notification > open respective app. All you would have is See notification > open respective app.

The simplicity and flow of WP8 is what makes it unique - why do we even have to think about copying another os?

Once your notifications are clear the usual tap at the top would reveal signal/wifi/bluetooth as usual

olivercorb

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
fbwebos-notifications.png

Like the webOS notifications but at the top of the screen? i think that would personally ruin the status bar; i like it being clean and empty, but i understand the concept works well.

but ******* i miss the fonts from webOS, soooo nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb