What's the deal with 1080p displays? I'm using Lumia 620 WVGA and its perfectly okay

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I think you're misunderstanding what people want from a WP notification center. We don't want more updates... we basically just want a list of all the toasts that are already happening.

So when you miss a toast you can go back and see what it was. If you don't care about missed toasts you can ignore it completely... but some of us want to know what that chime was that we missed, and live tiles often can't tell you... especially if the app is not pinned.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think you're misunderstanding what people want from a WP notification center. We don't want more updates... we basically just want a list of all the toasts that are already happening.

So when you miss a toast you can go back and see what it was. If you don't care about missed toasts you can ignore it completely... but some of us want to know what that chime was that we missed, and live tiles often can't tell you... especially if the app is not pinned.

It still sounds like something that doesn't require an actual notification center. I guess since I don't use every social network on the planet, I don't know to what extent which application use toast notifications (I also think that term is kind of dumb, but that's irrelevant). To me, when I think of potentially-missed notification, I think of:

1. Text messages
2. Instant Messages
3. Game messages (such as alerts to your turn, game invites, and friend requests)

I think all of these can be handled easily without a notification center that will just add a bit of weight to the OS that I don't really want. For the first, we already have it covered. If you miss a message, it will be on your lock screen. For the second, I have IM+ pinned to my start screen, so the live tile (usually) updates that. As I said, USUALLY, so they need to perfect the live tile updating on that app. For the third, there are two possible solutions. The first option is to give the Games hub a notification center. You can go in, and one of the tabs would be "notifications," where it will list which games have notifications and how many. The alternative (or, perhaps, an extension of this) would be the same as how live tiles currently operate. You give it a number in a bubble on the live tile to let you know that you have notifications within your games. Ideally, this is a Games hub notification center extension. Otherwise, you would either have the Games hub highlight titles with notifications, or you'd do the same number-in-a-bubble notification manner for each game. The highlighting would be more obvious and less clutter-filled, in my opinion.

My whole thing, though, is just that I don't see myself needing a notification center. I don't see any examples where one is REALLY necessary, even. I mean, we have live tiles to cover this for a reason, and if you don't want to use the live tiles for that purpose, I'm a little bit confused as to why you're on this platform in the first place, because that's kind of their staple feature.

I guess I'm not so much AGAINST a notification center as confused as to why people react like Windows Phone is crippled by its non-existence on the platform. It could provide a small level of convenience, but I'm not the least bit concerned with it. I think it's something outside of the top-10 of needed improvements to the OS.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
To be clear, I am actually GLAD that there is no Android-like notification center. That thing kept track of too much crap I didn't want to be bothered with. I see a notification center as mostly a live tile redundancy. If they were to introduce on, I'd want it to be set to:

1. Increase the frequency with which live tiles find updates (specifically, how often the Microsoft Store reports app updates to users)
2. Only provide notifications for apps that are NOT pinned to the start screen and those without live tiles

I don't want a notification center doubling up on the my start screen's information, because it essentially ruins the function of many live tiles, and those notification centers can get VERY cluttered in a hurry. On Android, I had it alerting me to updates for pre-installed crapps that I couldn't delete without rooting, and I had it alerting me to e-mails on my GMail account, which Ihat ONLY created for my Android device, meaning I didn't want any of the e-mails I was getting. Having those unwanted notifications popping up all the time was a pain.

I guess the easy solution is to create a notification center in which you can manually choose which apps can and cannot report things to it...
Android actually lets you choose which apps give you notifications now, since the Jelly Bean update. Anyway, this wouldn't really be necessary since WP apps have to let the user opt in to receiving toasts to pass certification.

roaspiras

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hope you get it. Actually you can get any color and just buy the replacement back covers when its available. I'm planning to buy the whilte, yellow and black so my Phone can have multiple looks when required.

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I think its overkill. Whats next, 3D phones? I don't even like 3D movies, they look too "polished" and animated IMO

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
More than a marketing gimmick, 1080p is more of an excuse to bump up the phone's retail price by another $200.

Before I bought my TV I checked out the same content on 720p and 1080p screens at the showroom and really couldn't tell the difference unless I got less than two feet from them. And this was at 32".
Anyone who says 1080p screens offer sharper images than 720p on a 4.x" smartphone either has superhuman eyesight or is simply over-believing the marketeers.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
To be clear, I am actually GLAD that there is no Android-like notification center. That thing kept track of too much crap I didn't want to be bothered with. I see a notification center as mostly a live tile redundancy. If they were to introduce on, I'd want it to be set to:

1. Increase the frequency with which live tiles find updates (specifically, how often the Microsoft Store reports app updates to users)
2. Only provide notifications for apps that are NOT pinned to the start screen and those without live tiles

I don't want a notification center doubling up on the my start screen's information, because it essentially ruins the function of many live tiles, and those notification centers can get VERY cluttered in a hurry. On Android, I had it alerting me to updates for pre-installed crapps that I couldn't delete without rooting, and I had it alerting me to e-mails on my GMail account, which Ihat ONLY created for my Android device, meaning I didn't want any of the e-mails I was getting. Having those unwanted notifications popping up all the time was a pain.

I guess the easy solution is to create a notification center in which you can manually choose which apps can and cannot report things to it...

Were you not aware that you could've turned off each notification that you didn't want? How were you getting emails on the Gmail account you said you only created for that phone and nothing else? I still haven't received one single email that I didn't ask for on the one I set up on my phone 2 years ago. How did you manage to get unwanted email on an account you said you never used?

Sounds to me based on this and another thread last week that you really had a very minimal grasp of how your old phone worked.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
More than a marketing gimmick, 1080p is more of an excuse to bump up the phone's retail price by another $200.

Before I bought my TV I checked out the same content on 720p and 1080p screens at the showroom and really couldn't tell the difference unless I got less than two feet from them. And this was at 32".
Anyone who says 1080p screens offer sharper images than 720p on a 4.x" smartphone either has superhuman eyesight or is simply over-believing the marketeers.

I've yet to actually see a 1080p phone in person. I just know I can see the pixels on my 4.8" 720p Ativ S. I'm assuming, due to the well over 400ppi a full HD display of the same size would have, that I won't be able to see them on one. This would make a difference. Maybe not a crucial one, as seeing pixels doesn't really bother me, but a difference nonetheless.

germcevoy

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Remember your ATIV S has a pentile matrix which will give the impression of the screen being a much lower resolution. My old Lumia 900 screen looks more pixel dense than my Lumia 800 despite having the same amount of pixels over a larger panel.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
More pixels to push=more work for the processor=less battery life. To claim differently is naive at best.
Show me some stats that prove me wrong. All 1080p display phones that are coming out have the same battery life as 720p display phones. I don't care what 'might' happen in theory, I care about what really happens. And what really happens is that it has little to no effect on battery.

germcevoy

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
The time between when 720p screens were introduced and now when 1080p screens are in will have allowed for software optimisations to reduce any impact on battery life. Add to that the fact that the larger screens = larger devices means room for bigger batteries further maintaining existing battery life performance. It is true though that in test conditions with the same battery that a 720p screened device would last longer than an identical device with a 1080p screen. How much longer I cannot say myself but more pixels means more strain on the processor.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Show me some stats that prove me wrong. All 1080p display phones that are coming out have the same battery life as 720p display phones. I don't care what 'might' happen in theory, I care about what really happens. And what really happens is that it has little to no effect on battery.

It is just as easy to prove there is no difference, as it is to prove there is a huge one. It depends how the test is setup. If the only app you ever use is a twitter client, and the device does not use a OLED screen, there will be little to no noticeable difference. If you use a lot of GPU accelerated software, which includes games or video apps, the difference in battery life will be very noticeable, but how noticeable will differ on a case by case basis. At this point I am unaware of any review of a 1080p device that makes any serious attempt to measure and compare battery life. That has not yet been delivered.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Were you not aware that you could've turned off each notification that you didn't want? How were you getting emails on the Gmail account you said you only created for that phone and nothing else? I still haven't received one single email that I didn't ask for on the one I set up on my phone 2 years ago. How did you manage to get unwanted email on an account you said you never used?

Sounds to me based on this and another thread last week that you really had a very minimal grasp of how your old phone worked.

No, I wasn't aware. No, I didn't bother to learn that much about my device. I only got the thing because it was buy one, get one free on certain Android devices (Droid Incredible, Droid 2, and whichever was Verizon's original Galaxy device, I think the Samsung Captivate). I didn't like Android much at all, and I wouldn't have gotten the thing had it not been free (my sister was getting a phone regardless, so I got one because it was free). It was just a stopgap until my first Windows Phone.

I have no idea what the e-mails I got were. I'd bet they were alerting me to special offers for some apps I had installed or something. I mean, in 2 years, I think I had 9 e-mails? I never once checked them, so I have no idea what they were.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It is just as easy to prove there is no difference, as it is to prove there is a huge one. It depends how the test is setup. If the only app you ever use is a twitter client, and the device does not use a OLED screen, there will be little to no noticeable difference. If you use a lot of GPU accelerated software, which includes games or video apps, the difference in battery life will be very noticeable, but how noticeable will differ on a case by case basis. At this point I am unaware of any review of a 1080p device that makes any serious attempt to measure and compare battery life. That has not yet been delivered.
That would be going out of the way to bias a battery test into the favor of a 720p screen. Use the phone normally, a bit of gaming, a bit of texting, a bit of other app usage. Under these situations there's no difference between a 1080p screen phone and a 720p screen phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb