What's the deal with 1080p displays? I'm using Lumia 620 WVGA and its perfectly okay

roaspiras

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to know what the deal is with 1080p displays on smartphones. Do we really need 1080p on such small displays? I had one experience I remembered when buying LCD/LED TVs most of the sales person says that on a 32 inch display you don't need 1080p because the differences are so minute so a 720p display will do and they are correct. I don't even bother to download 1080p movies because of its sheer size well not unless you are watching Basic Instinct and you really want to zoom your heart out at that interrogation scene.

Anyway this is the strategy of some WP haters that WP is not 1080p ready and it needs to do so in order to catch up with Android or iOS. Do you really need a quad core 2GB RAM 1080p displays on cellphones? Heck my Lumia 800 was smooth as butter and it only had 1 core CPU and my Lumia 620 runs perfectly fine on its current specs. I think this is a marketing ploy to make us believe that having the most outrageous specs means you are the best smartphone which is BS in my opinion.

Anyways, WP has a long way to go in terms of market share but I think it will get there maybe not sooner but later.

What do you think?

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Movies, picutres and videos look awesome in 1080p. Why use old technology when there is newer and much better technology available? New technology helps us keep inventing more things

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
1080 on a phone is definitely a marketing gimmick. And it increases battery usage btw. Unfortunately, without it we will soon be viewed as "behind" on the tech front. So they will need to do it.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree with you here. Yes 1080p will look a bit clearer with the right content, but the amount of battery drain doesn't seem worth it to me at least, CPU will have to work double over 720p. But hey if 1080p is released sure why not....... Its kind of the same thing about 4K TVs sure they look amazing shen you're 2 feet away from it, but who's going to sit 2 feet away from a 50" TV? Lol its gimmick.....now OLED is amazing.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

HansTWN

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I have seen the HTC Butterfly with its 1080p screen. Sure, it is nice, but not any nicer than the Lumia 920's screen. My eyes are certainly not capable of seeing any improvement, and most analysts agree that anything above 320ppi is a sales gimmick. Well, the have to come up with something to sell new devices when the old ones are still perfectly alright.

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
GIMMICK!

Of course 80" screen size need 4K... 40" need 1080p... for 10" 5" 4" 3" 720p more than enough.. (for human I like me)

If you are robot with microscope eyes go for bigger resolution.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There is no serious argument for higher then 720p on a smartphone size display. It's already perfectly sharp, that's why they call it "Retina" display. Windows Phone has much bigger problems like how the other storage keeps growing, no notification center, no VPN, no gapless playback and a 1000 other holes. The display not being 1080p is the LEAST!

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I use a Lumia 822 and I really don't notice much difference between 480x800 and 720P displays on phones, but when I do I really don't care much. I guess I'm probably just the minority that only care about the phone showing text and pictures properly :p

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
There is no serious argument for higher then 720p on a smartphone size display. It's already perfectly sharp, that's why they call it "Retina" display. Windows Phone has much bigger problems like how the other storage keeps growing, no notification center, no VPN, no gapless playback and a 1000 other holes. The display not being 1080p is the LEAST!

"Retina" is an Apple-coined term for their QHD resolution screen. (540xSomething) With a sub-4" screen that's all you need to not be able to discern pixels. At 4.5" 720p is just as sharp. As you approach 5" or more, you can start to see pixels. (depending on your eyesight) I can see the pixels on my 4.8" Ativ S, but it's not a big problem. I would love a 1080p display on this size phone to get the "retina" experience, but not at the cost of battery-life. It's a phone first, and needs to be my lifeline if I hit the ditch on my way home from work in the winter. Once they make the next big advance in battery tech I may look seriously at a 1080p phone, but 4.8" is my absolute maximum for usability.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
If you open a photo editor on your computer and put in 480 by 800 that size photo is bigger then a 5" screen a phone
picard-facepalm.jpg

roaspiras

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Glad you asked. I really like it a lot, in fact I have given my iPhone 4S to my wife. I got the lime green. Now everybody seems to look at me an wonder what phone I've been using. The phone looks tiny compared to iPhone but really screen wise its bigger. It may not best iPhone 4S for screen but the Lumia 620 screen is good enough. At its price point its a really a steal and represents overall value for money.

Batter life is almost the same as iPhone 4S but this is a small gripe that's why I always charge whenever I can. Hopefully, a replacement high capacity will be available soon. I never bothered to put screen protector and casing because that's how I like my phones.

So how are you liking that 620? Which color did you get? I wouldn't mind having a 620...

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Glad you asked. I really like it a lot, in fact I have given my iPhone 4S to my wife. I got the lime green. Now everybody seems to look at me an wonder what phone I've been using. The phone looks tiny compared to iPhone but really screen wise its bigger. It may not best iPhone 4S for screen but the Lumia 620 screen is good enough. At its price point its a really a steal and represents overall value for money.

Batter life is almost the same as iPhone 4S but this is a small gripe that's why I always charge whenever I can. Hopefully, a replacement high capacity will be available soon. I never bothered to put screen protector and casing because that's how I like my phones.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, if I get a 620 it would definitely be in lime green.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

To be clear, I am actually GLAD that there is no Android-like notification center. That thing kept track of too much crap I didn't want to be bothered with. I see a notification center as mostly a live tile redundancy. If they were to introduce on, I'd want it to be set to:

1. Increase the frequency with which live tiles find updates (specifically, how often the Microsoft Store reports app updates to users)
2. Only provide notifications for apps that are NOT pinned to the start screen and those without live tiles

I don't want a notification center doubling up on the my start screen's information, because it essentially ruins the function of many live tiles, and those notification centers can get VERY cluttered in a hurry. On Android, I had it alerting me to updates for pre-installed crapps that I couldn't delete without rooting, and I had it alerting me to e-mails on my GMail account, which Ihat ONLY created for my Android device, meaning I didn't want any of the e-mails I was getting. Having those unwanted notifications popping up all the time was a pain.

I guess the easy solution is to create a notification center in which you can manually choose which apps can and cannot report things to it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers