Internet Explorer Sucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So yeah I've had my Lumia 920 for almost a month and I love it, I have noticed that since there are a lot of apps missing that I use the web browser a whole lot. Now some websites like www.bimmerpost.com is a BMW site and when I click the forums tab to pick the forum it is nearly impossible because IE does not let me and it is rather annoying. Also I have noticed that there is no forward button, is there? Maybe there is but since I'm new to WP8 I haven't found it.........I also can't play videos from ign.com or game trailers.com when on my buddies galaxys3 he can, and when I had my iPhone it also worked...is there a setting that I need to set up? I have tried changing from desktop to mobile, but no luck.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If only there was a webkit alternative to Internet Explorer. I really hate it that Microsoft is ignoring the fact that so many sites are Webkit optimised and work really bad on their browser.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If only there was a webkit alternative to Internet Explorer. I really hate it that Microsoft is ignoring the fact that so many sites are Webkit optimised and work really bad on their browser.

Well, we have a webkit browser too: Nokia Xpress ... certainly, it is a good one for webkit pages as well as for anyone who has a limited data plan ...

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If the developer of a website is close-minded there is not a whole lot Microsoft can do about it.

Stop writing websites specifically for webkit. Use the standards and it will work great on IE10. It supports pretty much every standard you throw at it.

And I am not biased towards IE, on my desktop I use Firefox. But IE10 is pretty good at implementing most of the standards.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If the developer of a website is close-minded there is not a whole lot Microsoft can do about it.

Stop writing websites specifically for webkit. Use the standards and it will work great on IE10. It supports pretty much every standard you throw at it.

And I am not biased towards IE, on my desktop I use Firefox. But IE10 is pretty good at implementing most of the standards.

So you're telling me to stop using the websites that I use everyday?......... Lol that's like someone buying a car and telling the person don't drive it when its raining because the acid from the rain destroys the car, that its not the car manufactures fault.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Use SurfCube! It makes web browsing FUN! And you get fullscreen view of your website. There's a trial version of it. I tried it for a few hours and couldn't resist so I bought the app (to remove ads). So cool, plus you can show off to your friends.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So you're telling me to stop using the websites that I use everyday?......... Lol that's like someone buying a car and telling the person don't drive it when its raining because the acid from the rain destroys the car, that its not the car manufactures fault.

No, my post was not directed at you exactly. It was directed at the situation.

I remember when Microsoft had complete domination of the browser world. There were idiots back then also coding their sites exclusively for IE which was also moronic at the time. Microsoft took a lot of heat because of it. But now it is not Apple or Google taking the heat for the exact same situation. It's still Microsoft even though they already fixed their browser. Funny how that works.

You can't really solve the situation unless you complain to the devs of the sites that don't work for you. Then one of two things will happen. They will fix it or they won't. At that point you can decide to use alternative websites or a different phone that suits your needs.

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
You also can't upload pictures apparently. The browser does seem somewhat inferior to that of the stock browser that was on my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. I don't always use apps, and the browser used to be a nice alternative. That amongst the lack of recording, musician apps sometimes has me considering switching. However I love my phone and can't see myself going bk iPhone. And when I think of all the freezes, and clutter if Android it makes me appreciate WP... So hopefully tge web thing is fixed...

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It's not the web browser, its how the website was coded, if a website was coded using webkit it will not work as well on a non webkit browser. Plus not many drop down menus function properly on touch screen devices. IE10 is standards compliant, it passes the acid3 test and has support for all the relevant html5 standards.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Weird....it works with Safari on an iPad, and chrome on a galaxy note 2.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought we were in 2013....kind of lame that a phone of this caliber can't function through a simple website.....just saying.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought we were in 2013....kind of lame that a phone of this caliber can't function through a simple website.....just saying.

You have been given the answer to your question repeatedly in the thread, yet you continue...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Daylife is either unable or unwilling to understand. Unfortunately, it is precisely such ignorance that allows this unfortunate situation to continue, as none of the companies responsible for this mess ever take any heat for it. That was very different at the time IE6 was modern. If anything ever kills the free and democratic WWW, it will be technical illiteracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte