Windows Phone NFC - Useless?

andreujuanc

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello!,

My company gave me a 920 so i started to play with it. One of the first things to to play with was NFC. Seems cool so i bought got a 4 tags pack.
Then I downloaded almost every app on the store, and I think its useless on WP. Why? It only allows you to launch apps or settings pages (which are just apps) and no nothing more. I know it could be addressed with some code on the side of the developers, but i dont really care on doing some stuff with 3rd party apps.

What I wanted was to have control over MY phone and for example, turn off WIFI, or change the volume, Airplane mode ON, and so on. but it only opens the according app and waits for the user to do the rest. So what are NFC tags for? Shortcuts? expensive shortcuts, if like WP didn't have already a nice UI were i can organize things..

If someone knows how to achieve what I want, please, let me know..

Thank you, and I hope i wrong about this..

Juan.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
After I got my phone I did almost exactly the same thing (bought a pack of NFC tags to play with) and felt exactly the same way you do (why does it just open the page and not toggle Wifi/bluetooth on and off?)

Unfortunately that's one of the (many) restrictions the OS enforces in the name of security; you can only do certain things such as navigate to an address or launch certain apps. Useless? Almost. I don't use NFC anymore.

...but from my experience a lot of people on this forum will try to tell you that's (somehow) a good thing.

andreujuanc

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I understand somehow it could be a security issue, but Microsoft and Nokia have plenty of resources to address this situation. At least I can think of a few ways to fix it, but of course i dont work for Microsoft.

But then what I dont understand why the phone requires User interaction to "accept" the query? Like preventing people to open your WIFI page ? haha..

The Prompt its a good idea, and prevents unrequested queries, and i think it should be good enough to allow access to a few areas..

Another solution could be phonewide tags, where u program a task that only works with your phone, that would be even more secure..

But somehow no one can think of that at Microsoft..

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The reason why I like the query aspect (do you want this to happen) is so that is some smart-alec tries to scan your phone for your credit card details, it has to check for it. I know my student card at uni uses NFC as well as my bus pass. Just encrypted NFC. Don't want an NFC-enabled bank card though... Would rather wait for my NFC enabled NL920 to get it. Also, anyone know how to unlock this in the UK (we don't have ISIS card)?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to say useless but I will say severely handicapped. Form a user's perspective it would be heaven to be able to turn on/off Bluetooth, wireless, and/or other services depending on location and without prompts.

Come on Microsoft!!

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't touched it since day 1 of owning the phone, its too crippled. With my Android phone I had tags in the home and car and used it often, but not at all now.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The tags are pretty much useless. You CAN use NFC for "Tap and send" to share files and pics, etc. but even then you have to turn on BT besides. Kind of pointless but at least the option is there. The NFC and tags on the Glaxasy S3 are much more flexible but when it comes right down to it, it's not a deal killer for me, just something extra to play with.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Lack of NFC payments is a huge letdown for me. I was really looking forward to it, because my wife and I have to share one debit card, but ISIS had to handicap it back (which will never get released). I wish Microsoft had their own payment service similar to Google Wallet.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Setting volume levels would pretty useful too (I don't know if that is possible)... And I don't mean only mute/unmute... I mean setting volume to specific levels... For instance in my car I always want it maxed out so the Bluetooth streaming of music has all volume possible when going into the car stereo.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The reason why I like the query aspect (do you want this to happen) is so that is some smart-alec tries to scan your phone for your credit card details, it has to check for it. I know my student card at uni uses NFC as well as my bus pass. Just encrypted NFC. Don't want an NFC-enabled bank card though... Would rather wait for my NFC enabled NL920 to get it. Also, anyone know how to unlock this in the UK (we don't have ISIS card)?

That doesn't even make sense. Why spread such misinformation? There is no way for a tag to scan your phone and receive your card details. There isn't even a way for a payment receiver to do this unless you approve it.

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Just got my nfc tags for my Lumia 620, dissatisfied that all the actions you can program, just prompt you to open the app, webpage etc. Pretty pointless might as well just pin a tile to the home screen.

A great feature let down by the Os not giving the permission to open things directly.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Foroplex beta

format

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Setting volume levels would pretty useful too (I don't know if that is possible)... And I don't mean only mute/unmute... I mean setting volume to specific levels... For instance in my car I always want it maxed out so the Bluetooth streaming of music has all volume possible when going into the car stereo.

My phone... the Nokia 920 already sort of does this on its own.... its like it has multiple profiles... when I am not in my car it has my normal volume setting (around 5)... but when I get into my car and it connects to the Bluetooth there it automatically switches to volume 30 (or where ever I last had it when in the car)... then once out of the car the volume automatically reverts to the level it was before... I don't recall it doing this before the portico update.

jm1219

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting into WP8 soon, but this sucks. I loved using the NFC on my GNex to toggle BT and WIFI. Is there at least any third-part apps that let you toggle these settings from a tile or no?

leinea

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting into WP8 soon, but this sucks. I loved using the NFC on my GNex to toggle BT and WIFI. Is there at least any third-part apps that let you toggle these settings from a tile or no?

No, you can only open the settings window, like the wifi on/off toggle screen, not modify the state.

I'd expect them to update it with a list of 'trusted tags' (as every tag has an ID as far as I know) which allow for more functionality in the future, but currently it's not super useful, yeah.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte