Apps list index bug still there from WP7

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I recently got an Ativ S to give WP8 a look (I had been on an iPhone for a while after the no-upgrade-to-WP8-for-WP7-devices thing). Anyway, amongst the good stuff that's either been improved on or added from WP7, I couldn't help but feel somewhat disappointed that some of the annoying things from WP7 have made it into WP8 - in this case the apps list indexing bug.

It might not affect that many folk, but as most people know, there is a limit to the number of apps you can install before the apps list adds alphabetical place markers (designed to make it easier to find apps). If you uninstall some apps, so that the number then drops below the threshold, the indexing should disappear. Indeed, it worked for me for a few days - I had installed enough apps to trigger the indexing, and if I uninstalled one or two the indexing would disappear. But the other day the indexing came back and won't go away now.

Now, it may not be a big deal for some, but for me it's annoying because the number of apps I have installed doesn't warrant having the indexing - I could just quickly scroll to what I wanted. But now I have an extra 28 items in the list, and that makes scrolling to find what I want a pain.

This kind of thing shouldn't be an issue in a new OS. I was largely expecting WP8 to be a fully finished WP7, with extras. I could understand it if the new features of WP8 have bugs/issues, but given that WP7 had been released for two years previous to WP8, you would hope that the annoyances from WP7 would have been resolved.

Having said that, WP8 is certainly an improvement, but it does feel like more of a service pack, rather than an evolution of the old OS - which is what it appeared to be billed as.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett