Why do all apps have the same notification sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Because it will be difficult to differentiate who got the message if another windows phone user is sitting next it to you.

That's a completely different point. Custom alert tone is something that probably should be implemented. My argument is that not every possible source for notifications should have a different tone in them.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Because its 2013 and people want to know what their phone is telling them without picking it up and opening apps 50+ times a day.

I don't see how 2013 is relevant to this argument. What I understand is that you want to hear which app gave you the notification, but I don't understand why. Notification is a notification. Do you not look at your phone for certain type of notifications or what is it?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how 2013 is relevant to this argument. What I understand is that you want to hear which app gave you the notification, but I don't understand why. Notification is a notification. Do you not look at your phone for certain type of notifications or what is it?

It would allow me to prioritize. Let's say I get a Yammer notification if MN signs up for it. I wanna check that pronto. A distinctive sound would tell me "Yammer, better get that sorted" whereas if it was different to say Facebook and I heard the Facebook tone I could be like "Facebook, will check that later." I can then tell what app it is without even getting the phone out of the pocket.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It would allow me to prioritize. Let's say I get a Yammer notification if MN signs up for it. I wanna check that pronto. A distinctive sound would tell me "Yammer, better get that sorted" whereas if it was different to say Facebook and I heard the Facebook tone I could be like "Facebook, will check that later." I can then tell what app it is without even getting the phone out of the pocket.
Exactly. I'd probably go out of my way to check my phone for an SMS alert. I wouldn't bother so much with a Facebook notification.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
because app has no excess to notification sound. Even as an user you are not allow to add custom ringtone into the system. Fix is needed.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Why should there be? Notification is a notification, why bother separating them?

I agree. I also want the custom ringtone option removed too . I dont like the freedom and customization it offers. Also the separate ringtone for each individual contact needs to be removed too . A phone call is a phone call why bother separating them ?

-_-

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I also want the custom ringtone option removed too . I dont like the freedom and customization it offers. Also the separate ringtone for each individual contact needs to be removed too . A phone call is a phone call why bother separating them ?

-_-

What did custom ringtones ever do to you?

I agree with Gaichuke. A notification sound is just to notify you that something is happening. If you, as Paladinleeds says he wants, want to check out something you just got notified by pronto, your probably so fast that you can see the toast notification. And it's not like you get 10 notifications a second.

You get ONE notification for ONE thing that JUST happened. You then check your phone and it's there. How hard can it be. I have no problem finding the app that gave me the notification.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Lot of sarcasm in the air, it seems.

I would still argue (I might be very wrong with this assertion) that this particular customization options sounds like something only maybe 1-5% of the users would actually use. I honestly don't see why anyone would bother micromanaging their device in this level.

anon(631408)

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I prefer some customization. I do have separate ringtones for a few of my contacts. I want to know when my wife calls (you don't let that one go to voicemail) or my kids. The rest get a basic ringtone. I would prefer some customization for SMS also for the same reason. If it is just a random person sending me a text I might wait but if it is the wife I know she needs something. When it comes to apps it would be nice if they had unique tones. If I hear the ESPN tone I know it isn't that important at that moment. But to have no customization - why have a SMART Phone, sounds like any phone?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
And it's not like you get 10 notifications a second.
I do, Maybe not 10 in a second but could be 10 in a minute on Facebook. I don't want no sound notifications for that, live tile/toast is fine. But I can't do that. Obviously you've not been in these situations which is why it seems weird to you.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
What did custom ringtones ever do to you?

I agree with Gaichuke. A notification sound is just to notify you that something is happening. If you, as Paladinleeds says he wants, want to check out something you just got notified by pronto, your probably so fast that you can see the toast notification. And it's not like you get 10 notifications a second.

You get ONE notification for ONE thing that JUST happened. You then check your phone and it's there. How hard can it be. I have no problem finding the app that gave me the notification.

You would be surprised how badly I fumble when I try to get my Nokia out of my pocket...

robotaholic

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
What kind of weird thread is this? It is a logical request. Who could deny that it would be useful? "You don't need that feature." It's 2013, I think there are flip phones with this ability.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with OP. The ability to assign different notification sounds to different apps would be beneficial to some. MSFT may not want apps to implement their custom notification sounds, and if that is the case, the least they can do is allow users to assign different in-built (built into the OS) notification sounds to different apps.
This would obviously be optional, so all the people who think this is unnecessary can simply not touch this feature and use the one default notification sound for all apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99