May not be my phone....but it might.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My phone or something has today sent out nearly 50 emails to various accounts. Not been on the PC today, so think it must be the phone.any ideas anyone?

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Sites are hacked everyday, Evernote just the other day. It only takes one that has your email and password. Your phone is far more secure than your computer and the internet. Your phone had nothing to do with it, trust me. Now, if you change your password and emails are still being sent, just another bug somewhere. Change your password and shouldn't have any more problems.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
In other words, change your email password and in the future when you have to create an online account that requires you to use your email address as your logon ID, DO NOT use your valid email account password. Simple enough practice that becomes challenging as we struggle to remember different passwords. The easy thing is to use the same id/pw combination but that is not a safe practice.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
In other words, change your email password and in the future when you have to create an online account that requires you to use your email address as your logon ID, DO NOT use your valid email account password. Simple enough practice that becomes challenging as we struggle to remember different passwords. The easy thing is to use the same id/pw combination but that is not a safe practice.

will do. Only thing is, I do not use my email address for anything other than Xbox. I don't use same password on anything else either.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This gives specific steps to deal with hacked Hotmail accounts; however, it would apply to any email accounts when it mentions passwords, malware scans on PC.

Jimmy Cooper

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Sounds to me like your PC has a virus. There's a virus where they use your computer to send spam email but it might not be. Im not sure how it works or even if it works through email but I don't think its your phone

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Turns out a ton of Yahoo accounts have had the same thing happen. I have had a few similar ones from people at work. Worrying. Time to run AVG.

Thanks for the input.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You've definitely been hacked. Just a couple of weeks back, I had a few people tell me that they received odd emails from me when I hadn't accessed that particular account in more than a month. Same thing happened countless times to my Twitter account since September (although that seems to be over at last). Changing your password should be enough. Try using a combination of lowercase and uppercase letters and numbers.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Seems to have hit a lot of Yahoo accounts. Speaking to a colleague at work and she received them from two other yahoo users. Just hope my computer has not been compromised. Running MS malicious software removal tool as we speak. Nothing found. I have also altered my password.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Seems to have hit a lot of Yahoo accounts. Speaking to a colleague at work and she received them from two other yahoo users. Just hope my computer has not been compromised. Running MS malicious software removal tool as we speak. Nothing found. I have also altered my password.
I got rid of Yahoo after several friends had their Yahoo accounts compromised. It didn't happen to me, but Yahoo's spam filters definitely left a lot to be desired. Most spam still made it to my inbox.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, they have managed to stop all junk coming to me, even stopped some genuine emails. Aside from he hacking, the gripe I have is the interface on the PC. It is so slow.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I got two emails from Yahoo people yesterday. I decided to change my Yahoo password but now my WP will not sync. It keeps saying attention required even though the password is correct. If it does take it and sync, next time it tries to sync it says attention required again. This is happening to me and my wife. Two different 920s, two different Yahoo accounts. We both updated our passwords now we can't use the account on our WP's.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I got two emails from Yahoo people yesterday. I decided to change my Yahoo password but now my WP will not sync. It keeps saying attention required even though the password is correct. If it does take it and sync, next time it tries to sync it says attention required again. This is happening to me and my wife. Two different 920s, two different Yahoo accounts. We both updated our passwords now we can't use the account on our WP's.

Remove account entirely from phone and add it back with new password. It should clear it up.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
It is the email account, not the phone. Makes no difference if the PC has been on or not.
Phone and PC, same email account, right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon