Should MS be taking note of Google's strategy switch?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Both Google and MS use a business model based on them making the OS and using OEM partners to build the devices. This article discusses Google's "android problem" of the OS now being associated more with the Samsung galaxy brand than it is with Google:
http://readwrite.com/2013/03/07/android-is-dead-long-live-google

I find this an interesting read, especially in light of Google's admission that this has become a concern, their rebranding the Android Market to Google Play, and Google Nexus phones as attempts to shift the brand awareness.

It appears that Google seems to be veering away from having Android as an open distribution towards more of Apple's walled garden approach.

If you look at Windows Phone's relationship with Nokia right now you can draw some interesting parallels to Google and Samsung. Your average consumer clearly sees Nokia emblazoned across the top of every phone, as well as several Nokia branded apps within the OS. I'll be interested to see whether history repeats itself and what MS would do about it. I can't imagine that MS isn't watching how this unfolds. This is a different situation than their relationship with PC OEMs because unlike the phones it's very obvious that you're using Microsoft Windows. The branding is right there at boot up and the logo, and the decades of Windows PC brand recognition.

brdl04

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Its a good thought. The only difference I see is that Microsoft just needs market share any way they can at this point. If it says Nokia or not. Perhaps in the future you may see this more concerning to Microsoft.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't need to do anything about it because theirs no UI overlays so everyone still see windows overall. Also Nokia can't "fork" WP like an OEM could that mess called android so frankly I see no problem. Beyond that, Microsoft can use all the help they can get.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't need to do anything about it because theirs no UI overlays so everyone still see windows overall. Also Nokia can't "fork" WP like an OEM could that mess called android so frankly I see no problem. Beyond that, Microsoft can use all the help they can get.
I agree with you. Other than exclusive apps, Nokia or any other OEM, cannot change anything else that differentiates the OS.

It's not like Android where the OEMs are able to add TouchWiz, Blur, Sense.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree as well, it would be nice to see MS do a little more branding though, maybe something similar to the MS name and logo on the boot up screen like it does on your PC or something

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree as well, it would be nice to see MS do a little more branding though, maybe something similar to the MS name and logo on the boot up screen like it does on your PC or something
Windows Phones already show the Windows Phone logo on the splash screen when they boot, just like Windows PCs.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is thinking Office and XBox are the only exclusives they need for the consumer market (they are well positioned in Enterprise with many new products rolling out).

Obviously the XBox store for video, audio and eBooks is a disaster. It could be state of the art. It isn't even close. OTOH they seem to be content with the tortoise and hare approach and staying out of court. That means the xBox store will be state of the art in 3 years. The unified OS thing will fall in their favor. Intel SOC Atoms will find their way into TVs, the marriage of Skype and Communications Server and Exchange will lead to the creation of the greatest communications app in the business.

Shoud they have bought Adobe or is Adobe increasingly irrelevant? Should they have bought Intuit or is Intuit largely irrelevant?. Should they have bought Netflix or Facebook? They are dogged with these questions.I do think we'll see another round of reference architecture from them (Surface Phone, 7" tablet, and 10" tablet update). Maybe a digitizer for 3-d printing support and Xbox interface.

Androids a toy. Most of the games are similar to 1994 era shareware. Re-purposed Play Station II games. etc. I'd rather run Blue Stacks on Windows Pro 7" than Native Android.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think MS should leave it how it is. Because they got a pretty good relationship their their OEMs. No need to do that brand thing. at least not yet if they were going to do that then MS phone would be mostly tech and developer people. while
Nokia: Consumer.
HTC: Signature phone
Samsung: Business/Enterprise

I think that is what MS wants to have right now. have each OEM for each purpose for what it is for their WPs

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think he means just the WP splash screen and the MS logo. like the Nexus phones are doing it. Just the google logo. while MS can have the WP logo and MS logo on booting the phone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99