Dead Tiles

skaramanga

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The other day I decided to block all background tasks for apps, so that I could re-enable them on a one by one basis. So I blocked them all and then when I wanted to enable it for an app I ticked the box for enabling it when the app is next started.
This seemed to work okay, but then I noticed the live tiles were not updating any more, I tried it a few times since and unpinning and re-pinning, nothing that I do will get the tiles updating any more.
Anyone got any advice?
Thanks

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you reboot (off, then on) your phone? Leave it off for a few minutes.

Try toggling cell data the same.

Might just need a wake up.

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem back in the WP7 days and I still do now.

Like what juanitoriv mentioned, a quick reboot of your phone should do the trick.

skaramanga

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I already rebooted a few times and no luck, don't know what could be wrong, I will reinstall one of the apps and see what happens. Should've left alone, but then again it really shouldn't be this hard.

stealthcrawler1

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem with Live Tiles. It's incredible frustrating. This is the one feature that truly differentiates this OS with the others. This is the thing that has kept me from shifting back to ios from since wp7 came out. But they never work a 100% of the time.
Even right now, all tiles were working just fine for a long time, but suddenly from a week ago, some work, most don't. Namely, USA Today has pretty much always worked. Now, "Weather Now"/TV Show/CNN/Dictionary.com/MetroTube/Nextgen Reader/Weave"... and a few more have stopped working or work intermittently. If I need to rely on these tile updates, then they need to work flawlessly. This is pretty much their calling card when it comes to bringing new people over and I still cannot tell anyone that this feature works a 100%. It's just weird why this problem has carried over from WP7.

Aggemam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've got this problem also. Don't know about other apps, but I've noticed that the Metrotube tile doesn't "flip" at all. Also the videos on the front page (Top rated + featured) hasn't changed, since I installed the it. Which was about 1-2 months ago. I've played around with the block settings, rebooted several times, but nothing seems to do the trick.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've got this problem also. Don't know about other apps, but I've noticed that the Metrotube tile doesn't "flip" at all. Also the videos on the front page (Top rated + featured) hasn't changed, since I installed the it. Which was about 1-2 months ago. I've played around with the block settings, rebooted several times, but nothing seems to do the trick.

The company who made this app is aware of this problem. It is a bug on their part, and will hopefully be fixed soon.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
some apps just change the live tiles after a certain amount of time to not waste battery/data. i know the CNN app syncs every 30-60 min. maybe you need to go to each app setting and check the live tile option and see how long they take to synch?

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Live tiles can only update every 30 min. This is an MS restriction to conserve battery and data use for those not on unlimited plans

stealthcrawler1

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I did too. Just re-installed a few of the apps I mentioned earlier. And nothing updates. I've also checked the CNN app settings for the live tile updates and they're just fine. I think I read somewhere that all live tile updates go through some microsoft service...or maybe that was for notifications. Not really sure about that but MS really needs to get to work on this problem. What good is a live interface that's dies every few weeks. Someone wrote it perfectly on TheVerge that Nokia has done its part, and it's upto MS now to show people why they should opt for it's OS. And I really believe it's failing at that.

skaramanga

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I ended up doing a hard reset and restored my backup info, happy enough, tiles working again, just have to re-pin what I need.
Shouldn't really HAVE to do that though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb