So Google said they are shutting down google reader

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Weave is releasing an update soon that will let you log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google, or MS accounts and cloud sync your feeds. Personally that's likely the direction I'm going.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Finally, I guess this means that app makers won't be able to advertise themselves as RSS readers when what they -really- are is Google Reader clients. This is great news for people who use RSS but -don't- use Google Reader.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Weave is releasing an update soon that will let you log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google, or MS accounts and cloud sync your feeds. Personally that's likely the direction I'm going.
From Twitter: @SelesGames Since Google Reader is going away will you develop a Windows 8 version of Weave that syncs with Windows Phone version?

@lak611 yes absolutely. We hope to have something very exciting to announce regarding that soon

https://twitter.com/SelesGames/status/312110000803819520

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Feedly is supposed to be stepping in with an identical API. I feel like the only one who doesn't care too much about GR closing. I mean sure, I've been using it for years and it's great, but what's so special about a particular RSS aggregation service? There are plenty of WP clients I've tried that do the aggregation themselves, it's not rocket science.

barmaglot111

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
what's so special about a particular RSS aggregation service? There are plenty of WP clients I've tried that do the aggregation themselves, it's not rocket science.

The problem is syncing read state with other devices. For instance, I access the same Google Reader account using NextGen Reader on a WP8 phone, NewsRob on an Android tablet, and web browser on my PC.

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
This is horrible, I use Nextgen Reader everyday! What other RSS readers does WP8 have that can work without being linked to Google Reader?

'feed me' by Forty3degrees is exceptionally good. It has been recently updated. It also has Newsblur sync and google reader sync. So you can download google reader feed links and upload it to newsblur.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This fraking sucks. It's the one service I use most often on my phones. Is there a cross-platform alternative? I don't like Pulse because it doesn't keep track of what I've read.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_249 using Board Express
Probably one of the reasons they are dismantling it. Windows Phone apps are built using it and they want less of that.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Probably one of the reasons they are dismantling it. Windows Phone apps are built using it and they want less of that.

I doubt it has anything to do with Windows Phone. Most likely, it's happening for two reasons- they can't advertise using it, and they want to push people to Google+.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it has anything to do with Windows Phone. Most likely, it's happening for two reasons- they can't advertise using it, and they want to push people to Google+.

Likely this. They claim they want to focus resources but honestly, how much resources does a feed aggregator take?

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Feedly is supposed to be stepping in with an identical API. I feel like the only one who doesn't care too much about GR closing. I mean sure, I've been using it for years and it's great, but what's so special about a particular RSS aggregation service? There are plenty of WP clients I've tried that do the aggregation themselves, it's not rocket science.

well, that one's easy:

1. none of them offer cross-platform syncing
2. most of them don't even offer a read count
3. ergo: all of them are unusable for me.

I'm a news junky - I freely admit it. Google Reader was the only service that kept me afloat in the flood of tech news. If Feedly takes over - fine. However, if Feedly doesn't work on WP8, then this alone will be a reason to move back to Android for me. Google Reader is by far the one service I use most often on my phones - I'd say I spend about 85% of the time I use my phone on Google Reader connected services. Please Google - don't do this to me. I'm on my fourth Lumia 920 and I finally have a problem-free one :-/

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Most likely, it's happening for two reasons- they can't advertise using it, and they want to push people to Google+.

the latter is probably the main reason. However, Google+ offers close to none of the functionality google reader did (read-counts, sync etc.), so it's a very poor replacement for that service.

brianlg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Weave is obviously the most attractive solution, but there is no way to sync between web/phone/tablet etc. which is the main reason I stuck with GR.
Also, Weave limits us to 100 feeds, which is bogus, because I have well over 100, so I cannot even use Weave without deleting some.

Most web based rss managers are awful, and come with a fee when you subscribe to so many feeds. I don't want to have to pay. I would I guess if I found one worth paying for though.

Other apps do work without GR sync, but as mentioned, we want a central hub for managing feeds that allows syncing between all devices that we use to read rss.

Hopefully someone can step up and make us happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss