SPYWIRE found inside your windows phone - comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Friends,

Randomly came across this very interesting Bloomberg article about SPYWIRE in mobile phones... yes it affects Windows Phone as well - and i thought Windows Phone is "safe"?
even Blackberry can be hit with this spyware !

www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-13/gamma-finspy-surveillance-servers-in-25-countries.html

‘FinFisher’ spyware can take over an iPhone or Android phones remotely | BGR

The malware can target devices running Windows Phone, iOS, Android, BlackBerry and even Symbian. According to Gamma’s FinSpy (the mobile variant) brochure, “When FinSpy Mobile is installed on a mobile phone it can be remotely controlled and monitored no matter where in the world the Target is located.”

Tracking Software Monitors iPhones, BlackBerrys

I'm just curious ... cos i always thought only Android phones will get hit by these malware, spyware while Windows Phone n Blackberry are supposed to be more "secure" and that is why the US Government are using them ... but after reading these articles ... it seems that it doesnt matter anymore which O/S you are on ...
you will still get hit !

any comments ?

ps; I'm not a terrorist or policitical member, I'm just a RANDOM NORMAL DUDE who loves his Nokia 920 :)

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's an old story, and it has nothing to do with Windows Phone. It affects the old platform Windows Mobile.
FinSpy software written for Windows Mobile shouldn?t be able to infect the newer Windows Phone system, which Microsoft introduced in 2010, said Claudio Guarnieri, a researcher for Boston-based security risk-assessment company Rapid7, who analyzed the Windows portion of the malware for the new report.

Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft said its anti-malware software blocks the FinSpy Trojan, and that Windows Phone doesn?t allow for the installation of unknown, third-party software.
Source: Tracking Software Monitors iPhones, BlackBerrys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos