How future proof is a 512mb Windows Phone?

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
At the rate hardware is going we will see 3GB ram smartphones this year.

512mb does not seem much for now, but enough for WP8. Yet most people buy a phone that will last 2 years and then 512mb does not sound like it is going to be enough.

Has Microsoft made any statements on hardware requirements for Windows Phone 8.x and 9.x?

Do you think that 512mb will be enough for the next 2 years?

David Best

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I think that only game players will have a problem, some games in the market require 1gb of ram like real football 13 but the other apps should be fine

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that what eats the most ram are images and multitasking. So bigger resolution demands more ram so apps can load the bigger res images. With care in making the apps 512 will suffice because of the small resolution in those phones. If a large enough mass of wp users are made of people that pays for apps developers will spend time making good apps and not cutting corners and eveything will be ok. Take example from apple. They didn't had to push the resolution and the ram because they had a stable hardware platforms and they could keep back compatibility with their apps

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I think that only game players will have a problem, some games in the market require 1gb of ram like real football 13 but the other apps should be fine

^^^ This one right here. I can't imagine non-game apps would have any trouble. Well, maybe the photo/video/audio editing apps would, but that's all I can think of.

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
^^^ This one right here. I can't imagine non-game apps would have any trouble. Well, maybe the photo/video/audio editing apps would, but that's all I can think of.

I know it is maybe not a right comparison, but I have nothing else to compare it with.

2010 Android models with 384mb and 2011 models with 512mb of ram. Currently phones with 384mb ram have a hard time running a lot of apps. Just the core, mail, weather and a few other basic apps use +-300Mb of ram. If you want to do more and have a few widgets, navigation software running and the basic 512mb is having a hard time.

To be able to run the latest Android 4.2, 512mb ram is just not going to be enough and 768mb is the limit for a smooth experience. Off course that is Android and not WP, but we are talking about 2010 and some 2011 models, so they can compare.

But there are also Windows Phones that are less than a year old and already cannot support all the apps. Such as Nokia Lumia 610.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb